Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
After 8 1/2 Years Of Ownership

Hey Keystone,

Although we have only logged about 10,000 miles on our 1999 Montana 2850RK a lot of it has been on less than desirable roads. I'm happy to report it's never been back to any dealer for a problem. You did notify me about 7 months after purchase of the frame recall and were kind enough to send the kit to a local certified welding shop for installation even though no problem had developed.

We've had no leaks, no counter top, sink or filon siding cracks. All the holding tanks are still in place as well. I recently checked all the hardware screws for tightness and found only two that had backed off a bit. When I picked it up today from having a wet bolt assembly installed on the shackles, wheel bearing, brake inspection and axle alignment check I was pleasantly surprised to find everything was within specs.

Now, I grant you that this old rig isn't as complex or pretty as the new ones out there, but it sure seems to have a better build quality from what I've seen and heard. We've considered a new Montana, but I believe we'll hang on a little longer until we see an improvement in owner reports.

Thanks,
Don

Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:30 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Well Don your "I believe we'll hang on a little longer until we see an improvement in owner reports." concerns me. You have access to some of the best unsolicited Montana owners reports available any where on earth.
This very forum has some of the best owner reports. Yes, there are a some negative reports but considering the numbers of MOCers on this forum that number is insignificant. There IS NOT an RV built that does not have it's problems and Montana is one of them BUT Montana (Keystone) stands behind every rig coming off the line. Not so much with the other manufacturers.
The very fact that the Montana's are the biggest selling, new and used, 5th wheel on the RV market speaks volumes.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:04 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Searchers,

That's one of the reasons we're not wanting to trade up. The other two reasons are: 1) This one's paid for; and 2) We can't find another one, regardless of brand, that provides us with the same amenities. Sure, we've had some problems but I don't believe any of them were completely unexpected. We've had lots of other RVs and they had just as many or more problems.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:44 AM   #4
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Don and Orv,
It sounds like you both have keepers. Why trade them in if you are happy with what you have. I think the new Montana's are also nice, but some of the changes are not to our liking. We love our 2005 3670 and hope to have it paid off before long. We don't feel we should need a new one for a long time. Glad your's have lasted so long. It is a good testimonial to the good construction of the Montanas. We used to have a Dutchmen and liked the layout of it. We kept it for 12 years before we decided it was time to look for something we could retire with. Hoping to retire in July 09. Hopefully by then it will be paid for. Yes, we do like the Montana more than the Dutchmen!!!
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 04:06 AM   #5
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Our 2001 has been pulled over 35,000 miles and it works like a timex watch (keeps on ticking).
We replaced the refrig. but that was not Keystones fault replaced, rubber roof(Keystone paid),
replaced shackles (normal wear) hairline crack under bed slide (keystone paid) and 1 grey tank)
Not bad for the milage and roads we had been on.
I think we will have it a bit longer yet.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 04:36 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have logged over 15K miles in 14 months of ownership on our 06 3400. The first 11 1/2/ months were a nightmare with a huge list of problems, most minor some major, all as a result of poor workmanship, poor quality control and poor vendor supplied items.Several trips by repair persons while on the road and 4 days at the service center in April of 07 and we have been trouble free since. We feel we now have a reliable 3400. We did come very close to dumping the 3400 but realized we would probably do no better with another brand as they all have the same issues.We stuck it out were very aggressive(not nasty) in having every single issue large or small corrected within the warranty period no matter how inconvenient it was to us. All of the 'negative comments" on this forum have been a great source of information to us as we check every one of them out to see we don't have it and most of the time we don't.We are still being "aggressive" on the sensor problem.

If you have a camper that has been trouble free or you have brought it up to the trouble fee status and it is serving your needs..why not hang on to it. We will have this 3400 for a long time...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 04:37 AM   #7
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Ours is a keeper!! 2000 305FKS - we've discussed maybe a new 5er, but, like Orv's, ours is paid off, major-problem free (so far), there are all those mods I'd have to re-do, and of course we'd have to have a BIG new tow vehicle. Like Don, we'll hang on to ours a while longer. I certainly don't mean that as a "slam" against the quality of the new Montanas, but rather as a compliment for the quality of ours. Quality is what makes owners come back or not. Good quality = repeat sales and word-of-mouth new customers while poor quality is just the opposite. There are several return customers on this forum (some on their 3rd Montana) and Montana will certainly be the first one we look at when we are ready for a new one!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 04:50 AM   #8
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
We bought our 2003 3655FL used from a dealer. We have been in it over a year now; and it has been relatively problem free except for the initial dining floor slide problem we found right after purchasing it.
We talked about getting a newer model after I graduate. We probably will not for two reasons. They don't make this floor model any more and this one has "all the bugs and kinks worked out of it". It is a good unit and works as it is supposed to.
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 06:45 AM   #9
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We took delivery of our 2006 2980RL in May of 2006. As fulltimers who use the 5er as our home, we have not had a single problem from our Keystone product. Thank you, Keystone.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:52 AM   #10
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Another long time owner with no immediate plans to trade. Our 2002 Montana 2955 has logged 50,397 miles. We came close to trading for a new Montana at the 5 year mark (May 2007), but the models which now have a separate bathroom are longer and heavier than we want. So, at the last minute, we decided to keep the one we have. We like the Montana, but if we have to change brands to get the floor plan we desire, we are willing to consider that. The loss of the sliding wooden doors between the bedroom and bath has been a deal breaker for us for 3 years at least.

Oh well, that may mean that we are getting full use out of the trailer that just suits us. We will spend almost the full month of September in Colorado in our Montana.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote