Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2006, 01:01 AM   #1
bpierce
Established Member

M.O.C. #5835
Slide awnings

Just wondering if there are any particular problems or things to watch for with slide awnings. The rig I ordered will have them, it seemed like a good way to protect the upper seal from debris being rolled up under it. Do they have any protection from high winds and do they have enough slope to let water roll off???

Thanks for the input!
Bryan

bpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:09 AM   #2
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We have them on our Montana. I dont think they have any protection from high winds..the larger slide covers flap and are noisey in windy weather. As for the rain you have to watch b/c water pools up on them. Some use a beach ball so the rain doesnt do this. Just remember when you close your slides not to stand under them because you will get a shower!
Congratulations on your new rig!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:57 AM   #3
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I wish I had the Slideout Summit from Carefree of Colorado. It has arms under the canopy to form a tent when the awning is out,it also has a wind deflector. I have the old style by Carefree, but it does have the wind deflector. I had trouble with water puddleing on it which caused some problems on the cover retracting properly. I cured this by duct tapeing two swim noodle together. One large on the bottom, and one with the angle cuts on top. Two sets to reach under the large slide out properly. I use a ladder or a picnic table to put them in. I only use them if it is going to rain. Remeber to remove them when you put the slide in. I only have the puddle problem on the large slide.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:04 AM   #4
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
I concur with the folks telling you about the minor problems slide awnings have. But it sure beats having to go up every time before bringing the slides in to check for debris.

I’ll take all the rustling they do in winds, the pools of water threatening me with a “Baptism” each time I open the door after a rain, and the fact that the pools tend to cause the tops of them to require thorough cleaning more frequently than the rubber roof, to not having them, and having to spend time on a ladder before breaking camp.

Enjoy them!

Steve

Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:45 AM   #5
Dano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4721
The only problem I had with mine is they dont hold up to well when you hit A tree leaving the camp ground. It's all fixed now. LOL.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:08 AM   #6
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I just had toppers installed on all my slides. I stayed in Florida last year under oak trees and my slide tops got quite dirty and required a major cleaning Job before I could pull them in, so I decided to have them installed. The Service Manager at my dealership was adamant about installing them with a 5 inch pitch to provide good water run off (my toppers are mounted higher than the factory installed ones). I can attest they do work as I was in NH at the NE Rally and we had a lot of rain. My toppers did not sag and had no pooling of water.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:10 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Water will usually run off but a heavy rain will cause puddling on the longer ones on our Montana. It's not a problem since it just pulls more material off the roller. When we retract the slides the water runs down the side of the slide so stand back. Likewise with sheets of ice on the toppers. Snow, too. We've had 12 inches of snow on the toppers.

They do flap some in heavy winds but you get used to it. I did, anyhow. To me they are worth every penny we spent on them. Ours are four years old next month and have been out in the weather most of their lives. The material is about ready to be replaced. We'll probably do that before too long.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote