Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > MOC Gals General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2016, 04:05 PM   #1
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
CanCooker

Just wondering if anyone owns a CanCooker and if you do what are your thoughts about it?

http://www.cancooker.com/

Mr Pachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:49 AM   #2
gjetzen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7542
OK here is my assessment. I do not own one of these but it looks like it is basically a manual pressure cooker. If you purchase the Jr. model it is 8 quarts, physically that's pretty big and for some will take up a lot of valuable storage space, for me it would be just right. Second it is made of aluminum and does not state if it is anodized. A cast aluminum cooking vessel is not ideal because it is a reactive metal, anodized aluminum is non reactive. Reactive metals cannot be thoroughly cleaned. When heated the metal expands and everything gets stuck in the pores of the metal, also acidic food will tend to etch themselves into the metal. So what will happen the vessel will retain odors/flavors from what you cooked last and will release them into what you cook next, NOT GOOD. Anodized aluminum being non reactive will not do this. Cast aluminum is silver, anodized aluminum is black in color. For this reason I would not recommend this. For about the same price you can but a stainless steel manual pressure cooker or for a few dollars more an electric pressure cooker.
gjetzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:59 AM   #3
gjetzen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7542
After revisiting the Cancooker website it does state that it is anodized, so I'm assuming that just that the inside of the vessel is. If that is the case that would make it suitable for cooking. Looking at some of the photos it does appear to be anodized. I would still go with a pressure cooker be if this interests you by all means try it.
gjetzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:38 AM   #4
onekla
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12436
I don't have one myself, but my uncle does and they really like it. But for me, it not for us. I would much rather use my Power pressure cooker.
onekla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:28 AM   #5
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Some folks swear by them, a few have sworn at them. I've heard some say they are hard to clean.
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote