Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > MOC Gals General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2015, 12:17 PM   #1
butchandlinda
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17540
How do you do laundry?

We have a 2010 Montana and it does not have a washing machine/dryer, although one can be put in. We don't want to give up the space. I have been looking online for the small mini-washing machines. Some are completely manual and others are electric. Some have a spin cycle and some don't. There are also small dryers available. I have been reading so many reviews that my head is spinning. So far we have only taken week long trips, but are going to spend January in Florida. Our plan is to just go to laundramat, but I would like to have something to do delicates and/or an emergency washing. What have any of you used? The manual, the electric.....what brand?

Thanks SO much and looking for your opinions.
Linda

butchandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
All the resorts we go to have cheap laundry and we do big loads and be done with it,no big deal,I did not want the extra weight OR space taken up in my closet(My Wife has WAY too many Clothes to give up closet space),BUT others here would not do without them as you will see from the coming comments...But that is just our preference in 5+ years of fulltiming
Old 10-15-2015, 12:26 PM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

All the resorts we go to have cheap laundry and we do big loads and be done with it,no big deal,I did not want the extra weight OR space taken up in my closet(My Wife has WAY too many Clothes to give up closet space),BUT others here would not do without them as you will see from the coming comments...But that is just our preference in 5+ years of fulltiming
We feel exactly the same
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:36 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Since we full time and are frequently miles from a laundromat we have a washer/dryer combo and wouldn't be without it. Your only real choice is to do that or use the laundromats. The other things you are looking at do a poor job and take up almost as much storage space as our splendede. If you are going to give up the storage space anyway get something that can really do the job.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #5
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
We have the combo unit and use it if we have hookups. But if we are dry camping we will go to a laundry mat as we could have up to two weeks of clothes to wash. If you are spending your time in camp site that has a laundry mat on site then I would use that as it is handy. We just drove Route 66 and dry camped most of it so yesterday we had it stop at a laundry to catch up.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:20 PM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
From what I read when researching them about 9 years ago, the washer dryer combo could only handle about one sheet at a time and would take many hours (5-6??) to dry it. Some (if not all) dryers don't have a vent (at all??) to the outside.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:38 PM   #7
andylparish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17188
We have the splendide 7100xc and we love it. It is non vented (didn't want a hole in side of unit) and it takes about 2 to 2 1/2 hours to do a full load. We wash every day or every couple days because you can only do small loads (3 pair jeans or 5 to 6 shirts etc) it really works well even though I have read where people don't like them, maybe we just got a good one, but maybe we don't overload ours. You have to make sure you use fabric softener per the instructions, it has to do with the clothes releasing from the drum when it goes into dry mode. Got it on sale and best $1000.00 we have spent. Sorry for the long post.
Mountain Home, Arkansas
andylparish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:07 PM   #8
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
So you spend $1000.00 to do 3-4 jeans and some undies a day...I just don't get it but heck it's your cash but If would get one it would be a Vented unit
Old 10-16-2015, 01:23 AM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by twindman

From what I read when researching them about 9 years ago, the washer dryer combo could only handle about one sheet at a time and would take many hours (5-6??) to dry it. Some (if not all) dryers don't have a vent (at all??) to the outside.
Ours and many others are vented. Takes a couple of hours to do a load, about a little longer than with a normal set.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:44 AM   #10
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We started our full timing life going to the laundromat. Finding a place with enough unused machines could be a challenge. Whether it was across the campground or into town, the cost of fuel and use of the truck had to be factored in along with plunking down $10 - $20 worth of quarters to get it done. The worst part was burning most of a morning or afternoon just watching the dryers spin.

We now have the Spendide combo. While a load is washing we go about our business and do what we want to do. Some things get washed and dried in the combo, others hang out to dry on a PVC clothes rack that hangs from our rear ladder. Our combo will accommodate a queen size set of bedding in one load, two sheets and two pillow cases. We do many more loads of laundry with the combo than we did at the laundromat, but spend much less time dealing with it. In our case, the payback was about two years when we figured we saved enough money at the laundromat to cover the cost of the combo.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:20 AM   #11
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
When we started full timing a little more than 5 years ago I asked my DW if she wanted a washer dryer installed and she said "no way".

She prefers taking them to the laundromat every 10 days or so and not having to do it every day. We also did not lose the storage space the combo would have taken.

DW is also a "people person" and enjoys meeting new people and chatting with them about where they're from and where they have been.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:49 AM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have a ventless WD. It to is s l o w if I were to buy another I would get a vented model.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:46 AM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Everytime this gets asked we get pretty much the same answers.

So, you either love it or hate it. Want one or don't.

I started out (long timing) not wanting to give up the storage space. That space was reserved for huge bags of script dog food for 4 yorkies.

Then, I was diagnosed with my Demon, diabetes. My life changed, a lot, as did my outlook on laundry mats, even in luxury campgrounds. I spent one particularly painful 8 hour day in the laundrymat waiting for machines, getting the 2 plus weeks of laundry done, and not even dried.

We now have a combo, vented, Spendide. And, I have been known to forcefully state:

STEP AWAY FROM THE MACHINE!

I love it, and there is no going back.

Man and I rarely go out at night, so, I do a load at night. Our machine is mid upstairs, so, noise is not an issue.

For me, it is all a mind set, my mind is set on loving this thing, and I do! LOL Seriously, the mind set is, if all the laundry is not done at once, I can live with that. I do NOT have to lug it out to the truck, into the laundrymat, out of the laundrymat and back into Tana.

A huge issue for me with the Demon is reducing stress as much as possible. Now those that know me personally, will be giggling, no, I am not a low stress type personality. But, the Splendide keeps this one stress maker in reasonable limits for me. In fact, I like/love my machine enough that I have been known to giggle in delight, and we all know, laughter is a stress reducer.

If, perchance, I do a load of laundry during the day, and CountryGuy decides we need to go out to, oh, say, lunch, who am I to argue? Lunch out. Yep, let's go. OHH, load of laundry running. OK, it will be finished washing in 15 minutes. (I never run the loads from wash through to dry, always stop at end of wash.) When the machine stops, I take everything out, give it a good snap/shake and fold. Place in bathroom sink, folded and wet. When I return, I dry.

Lunch out, less stress, yes,

STEP AWAY FROM THE MACHINE!!!

By the way, it's not always about the finances, the budget, payback on the machine. I cannot say I have "paid" for the machine in dollars saved by not using laundrymats. I can say, that my payback has been in life style and just a small amount of stress reduction. Quality of life = a huge win for this gal.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:35 AM   #14
butchandlinda
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17540
Good Morning,
Thank you for the quick replies and also the different views. It is important for me to see all sides of this. If there are other opinions out there, please continue to post!
Have any of you tried one of those small hand crank models? If I just want to do a shirt or delicates, I have used the sink, but it is way to crowded. I know that they don't spin, but I can hang them on a rod in the shower or outside. Any experience with this type? Laundry Alternative WonderWash
Thanks!
butchandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:11 AM   #15
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is what people who have their own machines use laundromats for. When I was a kid my mother made me take my greasy clothes from work down there. Wouldn't want to use the machine next. Many folks wash their pet bedding in laundromats because they don't want the hair in theirs and then some don't wipe them out afterwords. Lastly if you really want to be grossed out, google "are public laundromats sanitary".
Old 10-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #16
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I did Google it for the heck of it and read just the opposite really only a few people said they had been to a filthy Laundromat,in 5 years of fulltiming Me and my wife have never been to a filthy Laundromat at the Resorts we go to anyway and if my wife did it would gross her out and she would never go to one again and I would be shopping for a new Washer/Dryer she is a clean freak
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is what people who have their own machines use laundromats for. When I was a kid my mother made me take my greasy clothes from work down there. Wouldn't want to use the machine next. Many folks wash their pet bedding in laundromats because they don't want the hair in theirs and then some don't wipe them out afterwords. Lastly if you really want to be grossed out, google "are public laundromats sanitary".
Old 10-16-2015, 03:27 PM   #17
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
The only thing that we have right now that is too big for the combo is the comforter on the bed which needs washed every few months. If we are not near one of the kids to do it, we go to the laundromat for that.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:04 PM   #18
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
You could also go with one of these washing devices, and with a five gallon pail, you're out less than $40. http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Clothes-W...0_SR160%2C160_

rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 02:45 AM   #19
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I bought one of those electric "washing machines" from amazon. (I'm not bad mouthing Amazon, I am the one who bought it) It did wash but not dry. DW would not use it. I tried but finally put it in a yard sale. Like new still in box. Glad to get rid of it even at a loss of about $50.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:45 AM   #20
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
I got one of these when we bought our TT: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Haier-1.5-...asher/36758182 It was less expensive when I bought mine.

It worked pretty well, but I had to balance the load for spinning quite often. I hooked it to the bathroom sink faucet and it also drained into the sink. It's a lot smaller than the Splendide.

I now have a stackable Splendide set and love them, but think they are way overpriced. If these quit, I may look at the Whirlpool apartment sized stacked units. Some of them are 110 volt dryers.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote