Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > MOC Gals General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
herewegotogether
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9367
Refridgerator?

We are ordering the 3455a and need advice. What refridge to order? the 4 door refridge or the 2 door for full timing. There is just the 2 of us. will the 2 door be enough room for a weeks worth of referidgerated food.

Thank you for your experience and advice.

Laurie

herewegotogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
If you eat like me you'll need a 6 door unit. We live in our unit for approx. 6 months and eat out a lot. However when we upgrade a 4 door frig is a must. We still find we stuff the 2 door unit. That is just MHO. Good luck with your decision.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We have a 2004 2980 and it has a two door refrig in it! If I ever get another rig or this refrig goes on the fritz and if I can make room in it for a larger unit,it will have a larger 4 door unit and that way I've got room in it for my beverages of choice and also my required ice cream in the freezer! As of now we put our bottled drinking water and pop(soda) into a cooler to save space in the frig.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If you are asking the MOC for advice, in my opinion, as a part-timer, a 2 door isn't big enough! My vote is for the 4 door for full-timing or you'll be buying smaller more expensive stuff and shopping more often because of it.

Keep in mind, you are not supposed to stuff a fridge completely because you impede air flow and stuff doesn't cool correctly. The 4 door will give you much more airflow too.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:26 AM   #5
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
We have a one door and would die for a 2 door.....I would recommend getting the 2 door.
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:35 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Ann wants a four door but remember you loose pantry space beside the two door to make room for the 4 door. So that needs to be taken into the equation. Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:40 AM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
The four door is well worth the trade of cabinet space in my opinion. I just love the 4 door and don't know how we ever got along without it.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:57 AM   #8
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
We don't full time, just part time and we have no problem with the standard 2 door, but she really has it packed. A lot depends on your food and leftover preferences also. She would like the big one but not for the price.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:31 AM   #9
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
We asked this same question a few months ago. A search might reveal the answers we got then. The result was that we got the 4 dr unit when we ordered the trailer. No regrets. My wife loves the extra room. Her only complaint so far is we have to remove the side panels in order to change the shelves for taller items. Four screws and you are done so not a big deal. We were concerned about losing both storage and counter space with the larger unit, but in the 3400 you have a lot of both anyway. In fact we are surprised that after moving all our junk from the house, we still have empty cab. and a lot of space in the basement. It is a lot of extra money for the larger frig. so you have to balance that with your usage.

Alan & Kathy
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:34 AM   #10
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I don't know the answer, but I would consider carefully what I would loose by going to a bigger fridge. There is always a trade-off in an RV. Another possibility is a portable cooler that plugs into a power source (12v or 120v).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:40 PM   #11
herewegotogether
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9367
Thank you all for your insite and discussion. We are going with the 4 door refrige as we will be fulltiming and need the extra room for Ice Cream!

Thanks again
Laurie
herewegotogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:57 PM   #12
labmom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8371
Hi all. We have been home for about two weeks or so and the work has not stopped. Yesterday, my friend came over and helped me build a rock garden underneath the tree in the backyard. We pulled weeds, grass and other detritus and then carted about six buckets of rocks over to the tree. Today, I can barely move, my lower back hurts so bad (and yes, Wayne, that means that Dave is washing the rig for awhile).
Anyway, I did do some work today and paid for it. So, I am laid up for awhile. In the meantime, I have to look at all the things I want to do and sigh. I guess things will still be there when my back decides to stop acting up.
labmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #13
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
We have a 3455SA and love it!!! We have the 4 door refrig and also love that...a nice upgrade from our 2 door from our 3400. We are not particularly thrilled with the goofy slide out cabinet between the refrig and the stove. I think it's pretty useless. I don't recall...did the 2 door refrig have a regular cabinet? Something to consider!! We have not yet figured out what to do about that slider cabinet...and welcome any suggestions. We are weekenders and short timers. Although with family obligations and a new baby grandson (yes, he is the cutest baby on the planet!!!) we haven't be out in a while. We are looking forward to some Monte time soon. Hope that helps.
Marilyn
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:13 PM   #14
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

We have the regular fridge and also have the goofy, narrow "pantry" with the slide out wire rack. I agree that it is pretty much useless, unless you count the exercise you get by reaching around the rack to the back of it to retrieve stuff that has fallen out of the rack!

Have been giving some thought about turning it into a broom/coat closet with a couple of short shelves at the bottom, since we don't have one of those in our 3605RL.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote