Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > MOC Gals General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
labmom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8371
New York and Boston

Boy, I never realized New York state was so beautiful!!! And, driving through the Berkshires to Boston and then in Boston itself, I don't think my mouth stayed closed for more than a minute!!! I told Dave that I believe that we have seen more beautiful country on this trip than on any other. Of course, we haven't been out West yet.
As far as Boston, there is so much here to see and do, I told Dave that I probably would want to stay here for another week at least. Martha's Vineyard, Plymouth Rock, Harvard Square, Cape Cod (if I can talk Dave into it) and so much more.
I want to go into New York City and Dave's daughter will go with me as Dave won't go into New York City. She said that we could take a bus (it would be cheaper than a train) and she has a friend who is very familiar with the city so her friend would be able to chaperone us around and show us the sights!!! I am so excited!!!
I will let you know how much things I can actually get Dave to do.
Betsy

labmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:26 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Betsy,
Just tell Dave they have water, harbors, and boats in NYC. His mouth will start drooling and he might give up that CS attitude.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Betsy, I was born in NY, in Batavia, not far from the NE rally. I agree it's a beautiful state. My general opinion is the East is beautiful but the West is spectacular. Just wait until you see what awaits you out west! Meanwhile, the East is awfully pretty.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
Hi Betsy!
You must get Dave to see Old Ironsides in the boston harbor. She has a 21 inch thick oak hull and is still a commissioned US Navy ship. It`s the US Constitution.
Judi Nye
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Betsy,
He can visit the USS Intrepid in NYC. It's a WWII aircraft carrier that has been converted to an air and space museum. The South Street Seaport will interest him also. All he has to do is forget that he is in a big city for a while. Let him wear his badger hat, he'll fit right in with the rest of the colorful people there.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Oooo, Betsy. Those are all the things I want to do. Can't wait to hear about your adventure.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:16 AM   #7
labmom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8371
Hey to everyone-we are home now. Boston is so beautiful architecually and the Old North Church is still an active church. I would have loved to have attended a service there, which may be in the cards yet. Unfortunately, I tend to sleep late in the morning, unless we are on the move.
As for New York, it never stopped raining while we were in Boston, so we didn't go. Dave's daughter will be in school for another two years and even if she is not in school, we can go back ourselves. The underground trail is a breeze to travel on and his daughter gave us some idea of where we would want to get off to see what we want to.
I will have Dave read the posts regarding New York and maybe we can all go in the city when we go back. There is so much to do in Boston, and I knew that we didn't even touch on half of the neat things to do and see.
We did have a couple of interesting days. One day, we ate lunch in Maine, went into New Hampshire for Ice Cream and then back to Boston. Wow, three states in one fell swoop!!! We also went back into Maine to get fresh lobster for dinner for Dave and his cousin one night. I am not a lobster eater, so I ate pizza but it was a fun night. And, no the lobsters don't scream when you put them in the hot water.
Wayne and Earlene it was really nice getting to meet you. That was one of the other highlights of the trip! Again, I apologize for the pajamas. (You know what I mean).
We will be home for about two weeks and then down to Illinois for a couple of days, then back home again. In the meantime, it is good to be home. After the rig for 8 months and the two big labs, our small house feels like a palace and Beau is so happy that he can eat and then just go out the dog door without having to be tied or put on a leash. It is a real treat for him and for us as we don't have to walk them for awhile.
We went through three sets of Mountain ranges this trip, the most we have ever been through-the Berkshires, the Allegheneys, and the Poconos. Wow!!!
Gotta go help unpack a little more. We are just lightly unpacking as we will back on the road again in a couple of weeks.
Good to be home.
Betsy
labmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The pleasure was ours. We'll have to do it again.

Edited: Spelling.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #9
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Betsy, glad you're home safe and sound! Enjoy the extra room for awhile.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
One thing that amazed me about New York, Massachusetts, up in those areas was how beautiful they were in the winter. Being from the Southwest, this is very foreign to me, but since I was only a visitor I did enjoy what I saw. The thing that amazed me the most is that houses are EVERYWHERE, but in Spring and Summer when all the trees have leaves you can't see them. That shocked me the most.

I love the buildings, the history and there's a LOT to do there. It also takes no time to go from place to place. I am not a lobster fan, but I have had my share, and the best lobster I have ever had was in Maine. Absolutely incredible, no fishy taste or smell and just melted in my mouth and I do not use that melted butter either - just phenomenal.

When we went to Martha's Vineyard for the day, we accidently ran into Michael J. Fox. Oops, poorly put, I shall clarify. We arrived at the island too early and nothing was open and the only map I had was something from about 1812 (got it from the hotel we were staying at). Needless to say it was out of date, not to scale and quite meaningless. On our drive around the island looking for the points of interest, I gave up and decided to ask for directions. I stopped by the first gentleman walking with his very young kids on their bikes and talked to him for about 5 minutes trying to understand his directions before I figured out who he was. What a day. I still have the picture DW took of us. He was very nice to us.

labmom - I hope you have some pictures to post. DW and I really miss those areas.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:37 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Betsy, another place for your list in the closeby Boston area is the Minuteman National Historical Park near Concord. This is the path Paul Revere rode on his famous midnight ride. Besides several houses and Hartwell Tavern, which was a meeting place for the rebels, and you can stand at the point where they say Paul Revere was captured. Etc. Etc. It's a wow place.

PLUS, right in that same area TWO homes where Louisa May Alcott lived. She lived in one, Orchard House, while she wrote the book, Little Women, which is about her life while living in the other home, Wayside. If I recall, these homes are just down the road from each other, a mile or two. Wayside was also once the home of Nathaniel Hawthorne.

AND, Walden Pond is not far, either.

AND, the Old North Bridge where it all started is close to there, also. Near Concord. That is absolutely worth a visit.

And, if you have time, the town of Concord is interesting. We had dinner with friends at the Concord Inn, which has a big list of historical significance. Henry David Thoreau lived in that building, for one.

Betsy and Dave, I'm getting tired just thinking of how much you are going to cover in a couple of weeks. We spent two weeks there the first time and a month the second time. There is so much to see there. I hope you continue to enjoy the area.

OK, I'm done editing to add more things to this as I think of them.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #12
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
In September we will be going to Virginia and New York. I would also like to see Boston--where did you stay and did you like the campground?
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 03:59 AM   #13
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Vermont is pretty neat too! We dumped the rig at a campground near Montpelier and toured around the state. Ben & Jerry's, Cabot cheese, Montpelier, Burlington. We were just going to drive through and wound up staying a week.

Birch Harbor in ME has a rustic CG and it is only 1/4 mi from the LOBSTER dock! We then went to Lubec and a local clammer brought a bunch of steamers that he had just dug up to the trailer.

Looking at my post, it seems that we like to eat. You bet.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our second trip to Boston, we stayed at Canoe River CG in Mansfield. It was "OK" and would be a nice campground except for the excessive number of rundown more or less permanent rigs detracting visibly from the park. Otherwise, we liked it. They provide a limo service, free of charge or tip, to and from the train station. For about $7.50 total for the two of us, seniors price, we took the train to and from Boston. It was a good ride, quiet, and fast.

The first time in the Boston area we stayed at Boston Minuteman CG in Littleton, MA. That was a nice park. Very shady. Our site was extremely tough to back into because of the big rocks and trees but the park guy talked me right into it. We'd go to this park again. Littleton is a ways out but not too bad. We didn't take the train on this trip but would if we were going into downtown Boston again.