Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > MOC Gals General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2021, 07:34 PM   #1
Kristin

M.O.C. #27839
Using Command Strips on 2021 3120RL

Planning to hang a large 7 pound clock with command strips and wondering if anyone has experience with how well they stick to this type of surface.

Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:48 PM   #2
rsaylor3
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24033
We used them in our last camper and have used them a bit in the High Country.

They work well, but we will not be using them any further. The problem comes about a year after installation. The wall paper like covering on the walls starts to pull away from the wall backing. So if you ever plan to move that clock, it will leave behind a bubbled wall paper area where it was attached.

I guess if you plan to always keep the clock there, then you can always move it slightly and hide that bubble, but the command strip will give way at some point.

We are not full timers, and I believe it's the heat while stored here in Florida that cause them to fail. You may not have that same problem living in it, as the humidity and heat will be much reduced.

We love them in the house! Use them on everything possible!
rsaylor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:46 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Krisin, with that much weight, I would consider pulling down the clock during travel and storage. Only hang when the trailer is stationary and in use. This will keep some of the stress off the command strip, especially in the heat. I have several in our rig with things up to 3-4 pounds with no issues.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:07 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
We've used Command Hooks in all of our campers, including our first pop-up. But, we don't hang anything with that much weight. Usually, we use them for hanging towels, wash cloths, and dishtowels. I do have some in my current camper above each of the entrance doors (large ones), so I can hang a 3/8 inch dowel rod over the door to hang a make shift curtain over the doors for better privacy when the outside door is open and we have the screen shut. We don't hang pictures or clocks. When traveling, everything that goes up, has to come down. We learned the less "set-up" we have to do, is the less "tear-down" we have to do later. We are not permanently parked campers. We travel and move.

The only time we had Command Hooks fail was when our current Montana was brand new. "They" treated the interior with stain and water resistant chemicals that left an oily surface. It took over a year for that to dry hard before things started sticking to the walls, even when attempting to wash smalls sections off to use the Command Hooks.

I think the Command Hooks are a good product. BUT as stated above by previous posters ... they are only as strong as the material they are attached to. We've had a couple do wall damage in our house when they literallyt pulled the paint off the wall because the paint gave way from the dry wall under it.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 09:48 AM   #5
Kristin

M.O.C. #27839
Thank you all for your responses. Excellent advice and I’m glad that I asked. This is kind of what I figured. I will hang our new farmhouse clock in our home instead of in our Montana. Appreciate it!
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:44 AM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
If you really like the clock and want it in the Montana take it with you. One small screw and anchor hole in the finish is not going to diminish the value of your rig. Paint the screw to match the paneling and it will hardly be noticed when the clock is not hanging on it. Half the joy of RV'ing is making your rig homey.
For reasons already stated I am not a command strip fan in the RV.