Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2021, 04:25 PM   #1
Rlates
Established Member

M.O.C. #27686
Slide maintenance

All,

I just purchased a 2021 295RL back in November 2020.

I have a few questions on slide maintenance.

1. How often do I need to look at my slides?
2. What products will I need to purchase?
3. Do I have an Hydraulic or electric slides? (I am unsure).
4. What maintenance do I need to perform?

Rlates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 04:35 AM   #2
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Your slides are most likely Schwintek. You can tell by looking at the side of the slide when extended. If you see two rails on each side that have a worm gear like track upper and lower, then they are Schwintek. Hydraulic slides have a hydraulic ram underneath and you will see rails with a gear track. This track is used to keep the slide straight, but the hydraulic ram does the moving. The other possible type is cable driven. Since yours is a Montana HC, you possibly have those as well. You will see the cable when the slides are extended, so that one is easy to identify as well. I have never had cable slides, so I can't speak to the maintenance on these.
Hydraulics require very little maintenance. Just wipe off the rails underneath of any dirt or debris. Also try to keep the hydraulic ram clean. Many use a rag with hydraulic fluid on it to wipe off the ram. I prefer to use PTFE Dry Lube on the rail and ram, because it does not attract dirt like oil or other lubricants do.
On the Schwintek slides, you can use PTFE Dry Lube to spray a shot or two on the gear at the motor. With the slide extended, pull back the rubber gasket near the track and use the straw on your can to spray a few shots on the gear. Wipe any dirt off the track and you're done.
Regardless of type of slide, you will also want to condition the seals periodically. I usually do it every six months. I use 3-in-1 RV Rubber Seal Care https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QL37GPN...v_ov_lig_dp_it.
While you're at it, hit the other rubber seals on the slide, both inside and out to keep them from drying out and cracking.
You can search YouTube for some great videos on the process. Lippert has a few like this one .
It's very simple and not worth paying over $100 to have it done for you.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:08 PM   #3
Rlates
Established Member

M.O.C. #27686
Thanks Much appreciated. Yeah I have cables on the side when extended.
Rlates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:47 AM   #4
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Check the cable adjustment often and keep ALL the slide seals lubed up good. I use 303 lube. Some use a spray seal lube, some use baby powder. Just think of using your cars wipers on a hot sunny day without water on the windshield. This is what most people fail to do which creates more friction when the slides move in and out causing cables to stretch/fray/get out of adjustment and other issues.

The seals on our 10 year old unit are as soft and supple as the day they were installed.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:37 AM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
In addition to the above suggestions (Keep the gear and tracks lubed, and keep the rubber seals treated), you also need to make sure the sides and top of the slide is always clean when moving them in or out. And actually, keeping a good coat of wax on the slide out sides will help to keep them more slippery. Never pull the slides back in without cleaning off the top of the slide out either. Even small specks of leaves and twigs can reek havoc on the seals, not to mention bringing dirt inside the camper when you pull the slides in.

If you do not check your slide roof first, do you REALLY want bird poop inside your camper because it stuck to the roof of the slide? I always climb on the roof and sweep them off since I don't have slide toppers. Always, I never, ever retract the slides without checking them first for trash that might have fallen on them. And if you park under trees .... always check the tops before sliding in.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:08 PM   #6
Ram-X
Established Member

M.O.C. #27019
We have the 295RL with cable drive system. I have watched You Tube videos on this slide system and my thoughts are the cables need to be tight, check for a frayed cable with slide in and out, check the underside of the side because the material can start to rip. My plan is to carry a spare cable and add extra rollers to make it easier on the cables. There are some rollers on bed slide and on the table/recliner slide.
Ram-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:48 PM   #7
Rick-Sr
Established Member

M.O.C. #21076
Hi RMcNeal,
I have a question unrelated to this thread but related to the video you linked. I’ve watched the video and have a question. Near the end of the video the guy says to ‘do the same thing on the inside’. Do you know what he means by ‘the inside’? Thanks!
Rick-Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 04:10 PM   #8
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
He's referring to spraying lubricant on both sides of the gear that the motor turns. In the frame above you can see the gear engaged in the track. When inside the wall, you can only reach a small fraction of one side, so spraying lube from both the inside and outside helps get the gear lubricated.
It's very tight between the opening and the outside wall of the slide. I can barely squeeze in enough to see the gear and motor on my 2 living room Slides.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:18 PM   #9
Rick-Sr
Established Member

M.O.C. #21076
Thanks, Robert. But I’m still not getting it. Does ‘inside’ mean inside the coach? To go inside, move the slide in, and spray it while standing inside the coach? Sorry to be dense. And thanks for your help!!
Old 07-07-2021, 04:46 PM   #10
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Yes. Exactly right. I was thinking my response was probably clear as mud. I almost said go inside and close the slide to access the gear from inside the coach.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:32 PM   #11
Rick-Sr
Established Member

M.O.C. #21076
Got it. Thanks so much! I’m going to try it tomorrow. I have two schwintek slides, one of which was a bit jerky the last time I moved it out. Thanks again, Robert.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:01 AM   #12
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
No problem. If yours are like mine, I have white nylon rollers underneath and some kind of black plastic material on the bottom. I sprayed each side of these rollers with PTFE Dry Lube also. Not sure it made much of a difference, but it can't hurt.
Old 07-08-2021, 01:05 PM   #13
Rick-Sr
Established Member

M.O.C. #21076
Excellent. Just got it done and feel MUCH better about it. Thank you! We live in the Montana full time and for about 7 months a year we move about once a week, so I worry that the slides are going to fail and leave me stuck. This helps. On a related note, we also have two cable-activated slides and three hydraulic. Might you have any recommendations for maintaining those?
Old 07-08-2021, 01:30 PM   #14
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Hydraulic slides are easy. Just keep the bar underneath with the teeth on it clean, and spray the gear pack that runs on it with PTFE Dry Lube every once in a while.
Sorry I can't help with the cable slides. Never had any of those.
Old 07-08-2021, 01:46 PM   #15
Barb Norgren

M.O.C. #19887
My button stuck when closing my slide, before I could get it stopped I think I burnt out my motor. I kinda of repair bill am I looking at?
Barb Norgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 02:06 PM   #16
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
The motor is likely thermally protected. Also there should be a fuse or auto reset breaker. Wait for a half hour or so and try it again. If it is an auto reset breaker that tripped, you're likely fine. Otherwise, you may need to start checking fuses. The wait will give the motor time to cool if it did overheat.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:03 PM   #17
Rick-Sr
Established Member

M.O.C. #21076
Thank you, Robert. I appreciate your help.
2018 Ford F-350 Dually