Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2021, 01:36 PM   #21
irvgates

M.O.C. #27184
Just a note on the jacks. They can be a problem if you use shore power to operate them. According to the Manuf. ,they suggest using the batteries only to operat the jacks . this cuts back on surges from the electricial system that can harm the jack controllers. I ran into problems several times with jacks working reraticly until i started using the batteries only. I upgraded my batteries to Two 12V batteries in parallel and I havent had any more problems. 2014 Montana High Country

irvgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:48 PM   #22
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarnMaria View Post
CnS,

Im assuming the same - converter not charging the batteries. Not being electrically inclined, I would t know where to begin tracing power back from the converter to the batteries. But I’m truly thankful for the response as it will give me something to talk about when approaching others who might...thanks.
When you have an inverter/charger, turn off the converter. If you have only an inverter then don't. The issues are several. First the FLA batteries are most likely dead. You need a shunt to monitor your batteries (the built in POS is useless) and keep the above 50%. The converter is probably only the type that keeps a trickle charge. You might need to replace it or add an additional proper 4 stage charger. When getting new batteries get proper Deep Discharge batteries, not a hybrid. Typically called golf cart batteries. They will be 6V so you need 2 to get 12V.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:39 PM   #23
RC_Travelers
Established Member

M.O.C. #18735
Check your battery cut off switch is turned fully on. My switch did that to me. Didn't allow charge from converter to batteries.
RC_Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:32 AM   #24
Drdon1057
Established Member

M.O.C. #24426
Have you checked the cells in battery to see if you have a dead cell? When ever I have a battery problem I always check charge from post to fill holes in battery. Hook one side of a multi meter to one side of battery then stick the other lead into the water in each cell. They should read roughly 1.1 to 1.9 volts. The next one should go up around the same amount. Like 1.8 3.6 5.4 etc. As long as they increase in voltage from one post to the other cells should be good. But you have to go both wats to get a complete picture. First hook lead to neg. Post then swap and hook lead to pos. Post. A dead cell can still show 12 volts at post and the battery can be bad if it has a dead cell. Good Luck and Happy Trails
Drdon1057 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, inverter