Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2020, 02:29 PM   #21
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I have GEICO road service and they have been excellent both times (blowout and fuel). Had to wait two hours + for the fuel, but I was in a little traveled area. Before anyone criticizes me, my fuel gauge was not accurate.

phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:37 PM   #22
northern lights
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18757
Send a message via AIM to northern lights
We have Good Sam premium for the 5th wheel. It also covers roadside service for a cargo trailer we tow sometimes. The price actually went down $20 this year. That was really unusual.
northern lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:01 PM   #23
saber707
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17531
Good Sam has been good for us on a couple of bad events.
saber707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:28 PM   #24
Mr B

M.O.C. #22011
I use AAA RV service. When my Duramax laid down in downtown Atlanta partially blocking I75/85 (not fun) AAA responded with 2 trucks, one loaded the truck and the other truck pulled the trailer. As my service tows up to 200 miles they brought both to the house then next am sent another truck and delivered truck to the dealer. They put both trips on same service call. Very satisfied with their service.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:47 PM   #25
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
AAA is hit or miss depending on the area you break down in. AAA contract local service stations and garages. I doubt AAA has any requirement or standards for the stations to meet. I had AAA plus RV when one of my Marabomb tires blew out. I was in a populated area and it took them over 3 hrs to show up. When they did show up, it was in a beat up old tow truck and he didn't even have the proper tools... Needless to say I cancelled them.. I have had Coach-net for the past couple of years and luckily I never had to use them. My membership recently expired and I am currently with out one..thinking of renewing...
Old 08-05-2020, 10:09 PM   #26
dbischops

M.O.C. #9122
Roadside Service

I normally dont get extended warranties, but we added our trailer to our progressive insurance policy and it only added a dollar or two a month.

We have had this trailer 11 years, when we first got it we pulled it from Texas to Colorado and had a blowout in New Mexico. Altough it took a long time, they ended up sending a tow truck from Trinidad Colorado that got us going again.

This was on the originally crappy Marathon ST tires. We ended up having a problem with another tire that didnt result in a blowout (yet), but since we were in a pinch we ended up buying more Marathon tires as that was the only thing they had.

Two years later another blowout in a remote area with significant damage, once again they helped us get back on the road, after which we got rid of the Marathon tires.

Anyway, what I am trying to get to is that these incidents would have been very costly. We tend to go to state parks or national parks and in order to get there travel a lot of areas not close to cities. Also trailer tires are not available everywhere, but they will pay to get it to you. It certainly is one plan I will get on any other trailer going forward.
dbischops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:17 AM   #27
DCHuts
Established Member

M.O.C. #22396
roadside assistance

After nearly 30 years of RVing, I recommend AAA RV Plus coverage. I have had Good Sam and others but AAA is the best. Why, because they will take you where you want to go, not the closest, and sometime worse, service provider.

My last incident was a truck breakdown in remote Washington State. Trailer was towed to a decent RV park and truck was towed to Chev dealer for service. Also have had support for blown tires in remote areas.
DCHuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:57 AM   #28
Biker bill
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24657
I have had good sam for many years. Have had good service. They even towed my motorcycle. twice.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:57 AM   #29
margerush
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20713
We have good sam. Both passenger side China bombs blew on the interstate in a construction area. I think the front tire got a nail in it (it totally disintegrated), had to continue thru the construction area for about 2 miles before getting off the interstate, when the second one blew. Commercial Goodyear tire came to our rescue within 2 hours on a Sunday night after 7 pm.
We've never had to use GS Travel Assist which is basically for medical emergencies. We carry Travel Assist due to hubbys health. Travel Assist will fly us home, car rental, motel stay, and transport Monty and TV home.
Good Sam membership $27/yr. GS Roadside Assistance $80/yr. GS Travel Assist $90/yr.
As with any insurance policy, you pay the premium in hopes of never having to use the insurance.
Toad: 2017 Jeep Wrangler
margerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:59 AM   #30
margerush
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20713
Good Sam Roadside Assistance is for any vehicle a Good Sam member is in, doesn't have to be your vehicle.
Toad: 2017 Jeep Wrangler
margerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:18 AM   #31
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
When I bought my RV in 2014 I had AAA + RV. When one of my Marabombs blew I was on a main road in a populated area and it took over 3+ hrs and several phone calls before they finally showed up in a beat up tow truck very limited tools.. I dumped AAA the next day and joined Coach Net. I Never had to use Coach Net so I can't comment. My membership just came up for renewal and Coach Net is now $180.00 a year . So I shopped around for a better price.
I have been a Good Sams member since I bought my RV. They are offering 50% off their road side assistance. So I signed up with their Platinum plan. I just checked their website and they still have the 50% off deal for new Road side assistance members.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:26 PM   #32
BUBBA-NONNIE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19549
What is CCA?
BUBBA-NONNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 05:30 PM   #33
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBA-NONNIE View Post
What is CCA?
I didn’t see CCA in any of the comments above. But I did see CAA, Canadian Automobile Association. Canadian equivalent of AAA I suppose.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:15 PM   #34
BUBBA-NONNIE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19549
Ok. Thank you. Hope you have safe travels and a great new year!! Good to see another Texan.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:02 PM   #35
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
That is what I did...filled out a short form...hit send...and they say an agent will get back to you within 72 hrs. Received an email that said to contact a dealer. I called to find a dealer and the said to go thru your sales dealer, but they are in Fort Worth, so the closest to home was Crestview Georgetown. I may end up going back to Good Sam.
As a follow up to this post - I did call the dealer that I was referred...receptionist answered and I asked to speak to someone about coachnet...please hold...parts - can I help you...I need some info on coachnet road service...ummmm please hold...Sales - can I help you...oh ummmm please hold....you have reached the finance dept. please leave a message and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible...beep.

I went with Good Sam.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:32 PM   #36
BUBBA-NONNIE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19549
I have Good Sam and FMCA. Trying to find out which one is the most reliable and top notch service. Seems like Good Sam takes the top spot.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:33 PM   #37
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
It doesn't matter..It's all hit or miss. They all contract out the service to local garages. I'm sure none of the road service provider go around and inspect the Garages they contract with to make sure they meet some type of standards, have good equipment or competent people.