Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2005, 02:56 AM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Stepping on the slide bottom.

When I picked up my 06 2955RL a couple days ago, the guy giving the PDI tour went on about how bad it was to step on the bottom of the slide when it is retracted into the coach. He said this bottom lip, which is about 1 inch off the floor and bends down when you step on it, has been known to break and it a real big job to fix.

First question, Is this a real problem on Montannas because the dealer I purchased from does not normally handle the Montana and they brought the unit in from a sister dealership.

It is real difficult to get around the counter without stepping on this lip if you have to use the trailer with the slide in.

I was going to make a long tapered strip of wood to slide under this slide lip and support it. I was going to cover it with cloth so it would not scratch the floor.

Is this necessary to do if you want to use the unit with the slide in.
I would remove the strip when I travelled just in case it could wedge in there and cause a problem.

Did this guy over exaggerate this problem?

One last thing, this was a large dealership that handles some Forest River lines as well as a few others and this old guy was very impressed with the quality of the Montana. He said several times it was the nicest unit he had ever did a PDI on.

My wife and I have been looking for well over a year and we are so pleased with our choice. It is a real sweet RV. Thanks again for all the good advice I have been receiving.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 03:19 AM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
We have had our 3670 for just about 2 years now and have not had any problems with the area you are concerned about. We sit on our sofa with the slides closed and step all over the edge with no problem. I think that your guy does not understand the quality of the Montana.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 03:54 AM   #3
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
There has been some discussion here about the lip with the slide in. It does flex under weight and there has been some damage reported however it does not appear to be a wide spread problem. I try to put most of my weight in about 6" on the slide rather than stepping right on the edge. I don't think it is necessary to make a filler strip. Just use common sense and be aware that it is a potential problem area. Your 06 should have the individual controls for the slides and I would just kick the living room slide out a foot or so when possible to give yourself room to get by the island.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 04:24 AM   #4
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
WE have a similar problemin our '03 3655FL. Have to extend the dkining room slide about a foot to get to the "loo" at enroute stops. No problem to do, since the slide "extend" sequenced starts with that slide. No problem noted in 3 years full timing with stepping on the lip area in that configuration. We also use the dining table sometimes with the slide retracted...again, no problems notes.

MIME (Lippert rep working at Keystone)...any comments??
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 04:52 AM   #5
Outahere
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #724
HI, we just got back to KY. after having our slide leaks fixed at the factory. We have never been treated so well by ANY repair facility EVER!! They treated us like family, they set us up outside the shop with power and water for the entire stay (6 days) They just couldn't get the living room (03-3655FL)slide to stop leaking into the carpeted area. They (Larry Evans and Dean Brovont) finally decided to retro-fit a 2005 fiber glass skin and seal design on the slide and that worked. They added drip rails above the slides and even replace the seals on the kitchen slid "Just in case" BOY Were we Impressed. They even replace the kitchen stove vent outside because it was yellow. None of these things did we ask for,they just did them as a "Customer service to us". Sorry, I got off the subject, I just had to brag on them.
One of the things that was mentioned to us by Larry was to "NEVER, NEVER WALK ON THE SLIDE" When it was in the travel mode (Retracted) He said it can cause "Severe Damage" AND Alignment issues. Now, you realize, I'm taking his word for this but he has been in the business for 26 years and I do believe he knows what he is talking about.IMHO
Outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 01:35 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Bill I have that to, when I have the slide it is raised up about 1 to 1.5 inches above the finished floor, I, like probably many others have steped on this raised lip, I guess that will have to stop now and try to put my weight more to the wall about 1/2 a foot in from the edge.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:21 PM   #7
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
We asked this same question of Charles Wade (the Montana factory rep) when we were at the Pomona RV show in October. My best recollection is that he said it was not a problem.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 02:56 PM   #8
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
This is the very same questions that first got me on the MOC Forum. At that time the concensus was that it is OK to step on the slide when it is in, and that is what we have been doing for the last four years in two differnet Montanas. Neither seems to have suffered any ill-effects. We are careful not to jump around or do anything out of the ordinary. That said, I agree with what was said about the Factory Service shop, and would not dismiss their advice out of hand. It would be nice to get some sort of offical word from Keystone or Lippert. Maybe Dale (MIMF) can advise?
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:31 AM   #9
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Well because of some good responses here , I think I am going to go with a filler strip that won't scratch the floor. I will only use it when we have to use the unit with the slide in and I will remove it for travel. One more item on my check list.

This issue sounds like one of those things you can do most of the time without causing damage , but there is a possibility that the bottom lip may have a flaw and break. A filler strip will support the edge that flexes and I think it is cheap insurance.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:24 AM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Wrenchtraveller

We are very careful when we have to step near that area when the slide is in for travel. But, have done so, like OntMont, just don't jump around in there and seldom do it anyway.

I personally would suggest a reconsideration of some filler strip. Seems to me that would be one more thing to forget to move or remove before or after travel, or before or after moving slides in or out. Way to dangerous in my mind. One can only imagine the amount of damage you could do if you forget to remove that filler strip and put the slides out!

You could go with the adage, if a filler strip was needed, Keystone would have provided same!

Nope, I think you are asking for a major problem and possible damage, and it will only take one time. I would think you would have a hard time convincing Keystone to fix that mess under warranty!

As careful as we are, and I think we are pretty "careful", Al and I have: forgotten to attach lock to hitch, forgotten to latch doors, forgotten to turn off water pump, forgotten to close roof vents, and the list goes on. We forgot on previous unit to latch frig door (something you no longer have to do) and we were VERY lucky, the food that fell out did not bust all over the place.

I think this is just too dangerous, and way too easy to forget.

Don't you have the selectors for the slides?? I think I would rather turn those and have the one slide open just enough to get around that counter top over making myself a new thing to forget.

If you insist on this filler strip, I would strongly suggest that you make up a really good check list, and NEVER EVER skip anything on that list, and NEVER EVER skip the list.

Good luck to you, let us know how you work it out. Don't make problems where there are none.

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 03:04 AM   #11
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Well that is good advice and I will probably take it. If I do go with the strip it would be a loose fit and still allow the edge to flex down a wee bit. It would also have a higher step on the front end to prevent it from sliding under the lip. I will watch the slideout and take measurements to make sure that the slide moves parallel over the strip and would never bind on it if it was ever left in place. With my other fifth wheels I would not move them without my outside check list. My wife has the indoor check list and she goes over that. So far I have been lucky and never made any serious set up or break down boo boos but we have sure witnessed a few.

It is always the same for me when I get a new toy, I do tend to get a little silly over details. My real concern is if we wanted to eat lunch in the unit at a rest area where you could not move the slides. The feet of the chairs could end up right on the edge of the slide bottom and that is a lot of pressure on a small area.

My unit has most options but not the slide selector and the bedroom slide moves first but of course they only extend 20 inches.

Once again, thanks for your reply and you make some excellent points. Take care, Don & Donna
Old 11-14-2005, 04:10 AM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Wrenchtraveller

It is good to consider all one's options. And, we can fully appreciate your excitement and attention to details!

We find that we rarely eat in Montana when we are running. IF we do, we find that it is nice to stand after all that sitting, and so, do NOT use the table. Usually if we are running we eat in a truck stop or other restaurant, fill our tummies REALLLL good, stretch our legs, and then when we stop for the night we eat a small meal.

But, we all do things different, makes the world spin right nice! And makes for good conversation.

Good luck
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:08 AM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Wrenchtraveler
Are you sure your unit does not have the slide selectors? They are outside where the pump for the slides are. In our case the front compartment.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:20 AM   #14
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Ditto the above on the slide selectors...almost sure they are part of all Monty hydraulic slide motor units. Silver knobs, about the size of a quarter, located just below the hyd fluid reservoir. Just turn the knob to isolate the individual slide from operation. Description of operation should be in the Owner's Manual, and again in the Manual for the Hyd slides.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:14 AM   #15
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Wrenchtraveller,
We step on ours all the time. So far no problem. We do try to step back a little bit from the edge. As mentioned earlier the "filler strip" might be more trouble than it's worth. I know I'd probably forget to remove it! I did not know this was a problem until your post. Our dealer has never said anything about it.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:41 PM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I'm really anxious to hear what Dale has to say about this. Dale where are you? Eating Red Velvet Cake?
Happy trails.............
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:14 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
When we ordered this Montana in 2002 the slide selectors were an extra cost option. I suspect it's the same today. Our first Montana did not have the selectors. If they are there, they'll be real obvious near the pump in the front locker.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 09:42 AM   #18
Montana_4732

M.O.C. #4732
We have a 2955 on order and are expecting it any day now. During the ordering process we were interested in the slector and we were told it was extra on one with just 2 slides. If they had three or more the slector was included. If I recall it was about $300 for the option. I may be wrong about the price, but when they gave us the price we felt it was too much as both slides are on the same side and if we had room for one to open we would have room for both of them.
Montana_4732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:01 AM   #19
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Our 2955RL is now 3 and a half years in service (we bought new in May, 2002) and has over 30,000 miles. One of the things we appreciate about this model is that we can use everything (except the T.V.) with the slides fully in. We do use the table, have used the stove and refrigerator. We could even sleep with the slides in, but have not done so. We have had no trouble with the 'lip' on the slide, though we exercise usual care.

The only problem we notice is that the carpet continues to be 'marked' by the slide as it comes in. The 'mark' is becoming harder to 'erase'.

EDIT -- I meant to add: we have no selector and have felt no need for one in this model
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:31 PM   #20
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Good evening Friends,

I have been asked to comment on this subject.

Here at Lippert, we do not have any control over how the "box" is built. We simply build the mechanism that moves the "box" in and out. We have nothing to do with the specs or BOM used for the rooms.

I am like many of you. I am guilty of using the rooms in the retracted position. Especially the bed slide. For example. When I was on the road coming home from the Reno Rally, on a couple of occasions I slipped into bed after showering with out moving it out. I did that for two reasons.

1. The foot end of the bed has rollers on each corner that rest on and roll across the floor. So, if you think about it, what is going to get broke from the weight of a body laying on the bed? The head end of the bed is being supported by the bottom "header"of the wall anyway.

2. I was pooped!

Now, maybe somebody from Keystone will tell me I'm wrong. One these days, when I talk to yo-yo Lon Nelson, I'm going to ask.

Oh ya, for whatever it is worth. You folks would not believe how much I can relate to the issues and subjects you talk about that also applies the Challenger. It is obvious that it is Montanas little brother
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote