Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2005, 10:40 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Recommended CG South of Cincinnati?

On 5/20 we'll leave Gatlinburg, TN, enroute to Goshen, IN. Preliminary planning looks like we'll overnight just south of Cincinnati, OH. Anybody have recommendations for an RV park in that area? We'll be coming from the south on I75.

It doesn't have to be fancy, just neat and clean with elec (30 amp) and water (preferred).

Thanks.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:08 AM   #2
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
We were going that route up to the rally last year but after checking our route we ended up at the KOA Louisville South. Not bad for an overnight. Easy run from there up to Goshen on a good road
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 02:30 AM   #3
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
Steve, We have stayed in a couple just south of cincy, we stayed at Big Bone Lick, it is a state park in Walton Ky. that was a nice park and we stayed in Renfro Valley one time at a nice campgroung for a overnight stay, If I remember correctly their were a couple of campgrounds at the same exit. The one in Walton is of the highway about 2 to 5 miles and the ones in Renfro Valley were close to I-75.
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 02:41 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

There is a KOA near Covington I believe, but the last time we were there we had a hard time getting Montana in and out of sites and campground in general due to trees. Trees and bushes was their claim to fame a number of years ago, and at that time it was BEAUTIFUL. Since then, everything has grown large and the pine trees were a real problem for us when we were there. I have no idea if they are cleaning up the situation, seeing that so many big rigs are on the road now. Since the last experience, we have decided not to go back, unless we just cannot find something else. We used to use it on the first night out, heading to Florida, or points south, in the winter months, it used to be the first commercial campground open all year.

Have heard good things about Big One Lick State Park, but have never visited there.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 06:36 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks to both of you. I saved this thread for reference. I've mapped out the route on Street Atlas but haven't plugged in where we'll stay that night, as of yet. No hurry, I have almost two weeks yet! Thanks again. We'll pass on the tight fit. Maybe for an extended stay, but not for overnight! Glass Guy, the state park sounds ideal. I'll check that out.

We'd be there on a Friday night, so might have trouble getting a site? Some state parks are a bit noisy on weekends but maybe this time of year, pre-Memorial Day, won't be bad?

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2005, 06:38 PM   #6
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Steve

We stayed at a KOA park just south of Cincinnati. Think the name was Cincinnati South KOA Rose Garden. Was $$ and expressway on one side and about 22 railroad tracks on the other. Didn't get much sleep that night and have never been back. That was some time ago though. If your just going to one night there, it's close to the I-75 expressway.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 02:55 AM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
tbhd

That is the one that is near Covington, thanks for reminding me of the name. About 40 miles or so south of Cincinnati (by memory on the miles, not by map).

We stayed there YEARS ago in the TT with van hauler. Van had motion detector alarm, the trains set it off in the middle of the night. Quite a site I would imagine from the outside, all the lights on the TT and van a blinkin away. NOT to mention the NOISE we made!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:44 AM   #8
sectres
Established Member

M.O.C. #1643
Sreigle,

How far south of Cincinnati would you like to stay? Big Bone will be hard to get into if you come in on Friday night but there is the Kentucky Horse Park that is just south of Lexington. You can make reservations there.
sectres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:55 AM   #9
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Don't know if they have done anything to improve the noise but with our luck they probably have added an airport .
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:36 AM   #10
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Kentucky Horse Park is worth a visit in its own right. A very nice park, indeed. But (and I'm sure this was a typo) it is NORTH of Lexington, not South.

Oak Creek Campground near Walton, Kentucky looks good from the TL listing, but I have never stayed there.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:13 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the headsup on the KOA! We'll pass on that one. Being just overnight we'll be looking to get a good night's sleep.

We have twice tried to get into the Horse Park at Lexington and both times they were full. We're traveling from Gatlinburg, TN, to Goshen, IN, over two travel days. Maybe 10 to 20 miles south of Cincinnati is half way so we'd like to be in that general area. When we need to get to Goshen on Saturday we will need to get our laundry done (in the Montana, with full hookups) before heading to the factory service center on Sunday afternoon. So the closer we get to Goshen on the first day, the more time to get laundry done when we arrive Saturday. So, Lexington is probably out. Thanks anyhow. I've heard a lot of good things about the Horse Park and someday hope to be able to get in. I understand they do not take reservations.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:02 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have stayed at the KOA Louisville South .Nice park, Pull throughs some over 75 feet long. If you are going to Goshen via the Ohio TPK wave as you go by Exit 151..We are less than a mile from the exit....

OOpps what am I thinking of,,You would no doubt take I75 and catch the Ohio TPK at Toledo..Missed us by 88 miles.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 11:11 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Rich. We'll likely go up I75 to Cincinnati area, then cut over to Indiannapolis, then north on US 31 to US 6. Current thinking, anyhow. Maybe we'll get out your way another time or will see you on the road or at a rally.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:41 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We lived in Indy for awhile 31N is not a interstate but a good road..69 out of indy to Ft Wayne and S.bend is also good driving.There is a LOT of construction going on around Indy.It is a real mess on the I465 Circle and going over to indy on I74 you will catch the mess. Check for the status of the construction before you commit.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 03:12 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the headsup about the construction around Indy. Is the construction on all sides?

Immediately after the rally last September we had to make an emergency flight out of Indianapolis so left the Montana at Pla-Mor and drove to Indy on 31, both ways. Then towed the house on 31 when we headed towards Kansas City after we got back. As you said, it's good road. The construction doesn't sound like much fun, though. I may have to look for a good way around Indianapolis.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:01 PM   #16
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Steve Here is a link to the Indiana State Police web site They have road construction info there.
http://www.ai.org/dot/motoristinfo/
Safe traveling
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:15 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Ron. That will be very helpful!