Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2005, 06:08 AM   #1
JimCin
Established Member

M.O.C. #1755
Bedroom slide leak

We are on Vancouver Island where it's been raining steady for days. We have developed a leak which is coming out under the bedroom slide. Water has gathered around the shower and floor around the shower to the point where the lino is bubbling etc. We will contact Keystone. Anyone out there know what the problem might be? There was some water sitting on the top of the slide. I mopped it off but it's still raining. Our 3400RL is 2 months old. Having some challenges.
Rain go away!!!

JimCin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 07:00 AM   #2
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
You may be different but under my bedtoom slide is a u channel... maybe half an inch wide and a quarter deep. If this is full of water try to drain it. A cloth tucked in to act a a siphon may help.

That should keep the water from coming in but it sounds like you have damage and warrenty issues so I presume you won't try to repair it yourself.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 03:20 PM   #3
gungho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2818
Do you have slide awnings?
gungho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 02:13 AM   #4
Montana_2304
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2304
Another great reason for slide toppers.

Charlie and Sue
Montana_2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 04:30 AM   #5
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
I'm not sure how slide toppers stop water from running down the side of the 5er and getting behind the rubber weather seal.... but sure... if you say so....
Old 02-10-2005, 10:45 AM   #6
Montana_3115

M.O.C. #3115
"glad" to see we aren't the only ones have a water problem with the bedroom slide. Ours is an '04 3575 and had leaked since we bought it. The water will collect on the floor on the left hand side looking from the foot of the bed. It was four months before we found out it leaked so bad. We have had three different shops work on (under warrenty) with some improvement, but not stopped completly. We have a fourth shop that is going to give it a try.
Montana_3115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 01:28 AM   #7
Montana_2304
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2304
For what it's worth, last summer I met another Montana owner with a 3295RK who told me of his problem with his leaking bedroom slider. They had tried everything to solve the leak and he said that the caulking on the outside of the slider ledge ( about 3" from the bottom edge ) was poorly sealed. The water would seep into the ledge travel down the channel under the slider and into the bedroom. He removed the old caulk and resealed it and the leak was gone. That's all I've come across on the bedroom slider leak. Hey, who knows, try anything once.
Charlie
Montana_2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 08:09 AM   #8
LAURA
Established Member

M.O.C. #1304
WE HAVE A 2004-2955 THAT HAD A LEAK IN THE BEDROOM SLIDE ALSO. THERE IS A TRIM PIECE AT THE BOTTOM SIDEWALL ON EACH SIDE. REMOVE THE VINYL INSERT THAT COVERS THE SCREWS AND SEAL THIS AREA AND REPLACE THE VINYL TRIM STRIP. CHALK THE TOP OUTSIDE OF THE TRIM STRIP AND PUT A SMALL BEAD OF CHALK AT THE AREA JUST BEFORE THE SLIDE ENTER THE COACH. THIS WILL WORK AS A DAM. IF YOU STAND IN THE RAIN AND WATCH THE RAIN RUN DOWN THE ENDS OF THE SLIDE YOU WILL SEE THE WATER RUN DOWN THE TRIM INTO THE COACH.
LAURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 11:02 AM   #9
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Laura has the answer.
If you stand outside looking at the side of the bedroom slide closest to the rear you will see a trim strip at the bottom edge. This strip runs from the outer wall of the slide back behind the seal. The trim strip has a vinyl cover. I pulled this part way off near the seal and filled that channel with silicone rubber and replaced the vinyl. My leak was gone.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 02:47 PM   #10
houseof many dogs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #854
While I am late to this topic, I had a similar problem on my 3295. I found that the slide was pushing the seal away from the side wall. I solved it (temporary) by moving the bedroom slide back in until the seal was flat against the sidewall. Then no leak and I left the slides out all last summer. I was going to re adjust the stroke of the slide ram this spring. I think I'll try the easy stuff first, if it ever gets to be spring in Wisconsin.
houseof many dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 02:03 AM   #11
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
From personal experience I can tell you that slide toppers do not keep a slide from leaking. Every fix imaginable has been tried to fix my bedroom slide leak. Including buying a new Montana. Yeah, figure that one out! Anyway, Keystone now wants to take my unit back to Indiana and completely replace the slide. This unit has already been back to Indiana to fix the slide leak. The fix did not happen.

I negotiated slide toppers with the purchase of my new unit hoping that if there was the potential to leak I would not know about it. Well that plan did not work. I still have that never ending, always frustrating bedroom slide leak.

So from personal experience I would not recommend investing in slide toppers as an answer to a slide leak.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:16 PM   #12
cs413
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3354
Come on folks, Please tell me Keystone has solved the leak issue! I am picking up a brand new 05 3650RK tomorrow (3/16/05) at the dealer. I traded in a Holiday Rambler with 1 slide for the 3650 and was always paranoid about leaks. I would reseal all the roof penetrations every year to ensure no leaks. I never had one problem with water coming in the kitchen/dining room slide. I am sort of a perfectionist so this will drive me CRAZY! From reading a lot of the postings, I guess when I get it home tomorrow, I have a lot of caulking to do. Plus, this pretty much convinced me to get the extended warranty. Between leaks and thermostats, I'm getting a little nervous. But, this is a beautiful rv and am really looking forward to using it.
cs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:53 PM   #13
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Leaks are NOT an issue with all owners. Some of us have NEVER had any problems. There are a few folks who seem to get only rigs that leak. Not sure why that is but don't worry about it unless it happens. Enjoy your new rig and good luck.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:00 PM   #14
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Most suffer in silence... no one here want's to admit their rig leaks and get "flamed" by all the happy owners out there.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:44 PM   #15
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Our 2980RL is now 3 months old, and we've had it in rain and snow. No leaks, dry & snug inside. So it's not a given that it will leak. As RVWheels said, go out and enjoy it!
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote