Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Workamping
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2015, 03:23 AM   #1
Arizonacouple
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15914
Cedar Creek Falls Ramona CA

Chris and I have an opportunity to camp host a small campground in the Cleveland National Forest. This is our first foray into camp hosting and we are a little apprehensive. The camp ground has a full hookup but there are still two issues I need help with. We have Dish network at home and I understand I can get a "tailgater" which, for a small amount each month (of course) will give me the same service. Any experiences with this device? Secondly, it's the age in which we live in. We will still need the internet. I understand there are satellite services available. Again, any help here would be appreciated. And on the subject of the internet, I just thought of a third question - anyone start an online journal or blog? on their travels. How do you get started? Thanks, Pete

Arizonacouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:54 AM   #2
commish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14397
We have Direct Tv and when we are on the road we take the chanel box with us and get service all over the country. If no one is at home you will not need a second box, if there is a need for service at home get a second box from dish network. A portable antenna dish can be gotten from some one on Craigs List for very little money and a tri-pod at Home Depot. A smart phone can give you internet.
I think camp hosting could be a great way to spend the summer.
commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:36 AM   #3
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Peter,
I have the Dish tailgater. It is easy to set up and use. There are a few draw backs. First it only supports a single tuner receiver (211k or 211z). Therefore you can only watch one program at a time. You can attach a hard disk that acts as a DVR ($40 one time charge). Then you can watch a recorded program while recording another.

The other draw back I noticed this summer that the farther north you go, (I was in central and northern Oregon), the harder it is for the tailgater to pickup HD signals. The internal dish is small and the farther you get from the equator, the more atmosphere the signal has to go through, thus making rain, due etc more problematic. SD signals came through just fine.

As far as internet, your best bet is cell service. Hopefully you have signal where you're at.

Hope that helps.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:00 AM   #4
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
You state that you will be camp hosts so you will be stationary for several months. You can do as I do for internet. I have Dish net. They usually only install it at residences (stick and brick homes) but if you are going to be in one place for some time they will install at a RV. It i good but it is not unlimited data. I pay for 10 gigs. But, DW needs her Facebook.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:41 AM   #5
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
1. dish. just get a satellite dish and set it up, you aren't moving so that would be the cheapest.
2. internet. if you have a cellphone add internet if you can get it at the campground.
3. blogs? just start one. https://www.google.com/search?q=star...utf-8&oe=utf-8
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:58 AM   #6
Dreamersandtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14250
Hello!
We are work camping for the first time in the UP of Michigan at McLain SP on the Keweenaw Peninsula.
As for internet we utilize the service through Verizon for 20GB of use it is 99.00 monthly. We don't use satellite TV, we use the Sirius radio if no TV reception in area we are. We also use a CB radio to communicate (we receive weather alerts and can call for emergencies services on it), we use walkie talkies to communicate with eachother when cell service not available.
Dreamersandtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:32 AM   #7
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
We have a Tailgater. Take the receiver from the house there is no extra charge. The extra charge is either $7.00 a month for a second receiver, which you do not need. Or, a month to month service with the tailgater only, no home service.

There are 4 receivers model 411, 211, 211k, 211z you must use with a Tailgater.

I would forget the satellite internet. Use your smart phone as a hot spot or get a MiFi device for internet. If you have no cell service at your host location, I'd probably look for a different job.

Blog, no help.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote