Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Satellite TV

We just signed up with DirecTV to take with us on our summer travels. It came with a dish and tripod. DH was wondering how other MOCers store their portable dishes while underway without taking everything apart. I suggested placing it inside and on the sofa. What does everyone else do?

CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Ours is on the couch or in a recliner. You can drill through the arm where it is spot welded and then fold the arm up towards the dish. This considerably reduces the space required. When you are ready to use it, unfold the arm to its original position and put a pin (a nail works nicely) through the hole to hold it. Or you can disassemble the whole thing to really save space.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We place our tripod and dish on the floor at the door. It is the last thing we load and it just lays on the floor. We've traveled with it like this for several years without any problems. I like the fold up idea. It does save a bit of room.

Travel safely, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:54 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CasaDelSol

We just signed up with DirecTV to take with us on our summer travels. It came with a dish and tripod. DH was wondering how other MOCers store their portable dishes while underway without taking everything apart. I suggested placing it inside and on the sofa. What does everyone else do?
I made a bracket and hooked the small dish on the ladder rack in back when we first had a dish.
Question: We have the AT&T U-Verse, if you sign up for Direct TV, how does that work if you don't have it at home? Is it costly, and do you have to sign a contract for a long time?
Thanks.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Hi Ozz. Yes, it is direcTV and no we don't have it at the stick house. We have cable because we pay for basic cable thru our homeowners association and to have DirecTV also would be paying double. Anyway...to answer the price question. They provided the dish, tripod, all cables and the receiver. We paid a one time sign up fee of about $60 and the monthly fee for the 1st year is $29.99 a month with 3 months free Showtime. After a year it is suppose to go up to about $60 a month but we were told that they always have specials and we will probably pay around $30 a month for some years. Also, when we return home in the fall we can suspend the package for 6 months without paying anything during that time. We can suspend for up to 6 months a year. This was a no brainer to me!!! We would eventually like to get a flat panel HD TV for the RV and at that time we will consider buying a fixed satellite for the roof. Thanks for all the repies everyone!!! ....Joan
Old 05-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Also, the packaging with all the equipment said "RV package" on it. I don't know what they would do different for a house.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks for the info, I did not know it would be that painless, you took one more worry off my list.
Here is my dish set-up:

Old 05-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I take the dish off the tripod and put them in the front storage compartment. I have some foam packing forms the new television was packed in. I put one piece in the bottom for the dish to sit on and another around the top to keep it from banging against other metal.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:07 AM   #9
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
I disassemble the tripod from the dish- The folded up tripod travels in the truck box and the dish lies on the bed- No problems so far- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:25 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Like Carl, I drilled out the rivets holding the arm of the dish and inserted bolts with toggle nuts. Came apart easy, and stored easily. I'm think that you need something tight to hold the arm from wiggling in the wind. Just a little wiggle can make a difference on signal strength.

We had DISH network. I understand that they now have DISH Pay As You Go for RV's. If you use it you pay for it, and if you don't, you just call them and payment is stopped until the next time you are ready to go on the road. I think someone on the iRV2 said it came out to about $1.50 a day.

I don't think you can get HD on DirecTV without upgrading the antenna package.

I have subsequently switched over to the Winegard Carryout. Totally automatic, and the preacher's camping around us now appreciate me setting it up instead of a portable dish.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #11
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
I have directv at my stick house and for our old tt I got an extra receiver with a small portable round dish. That worked great. With the new Monty, I wanted to upgrade to HD tv. So I bought a slimline 3LMB dish and got a tripod from these guys..http://tv4rv.com/sunshop/index.php. On our 1st trip (about 3 weeks ago) it worked great. I recommend a pretty sturdy tripod because of the wind. tv4rv has an attachment to the tripod to help with that.
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Joanie and Dave,
Thanks for the information, I just ordered the basic package and 2 receivers plus the HD Dish and tripod.
I told them I would install it.
We are at $40.99 a month, is that pretty much in line with everyone?
Old 05-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Hmmm! DISH Network, you only need one receiver for two televisions.

Also, I'm not sure about Direct-TV, but with the DISH receivers you can add your batwing connection to the antenna input and control not only the satellite channels, but the local channels also. Once you scan with the satellite receiver, the local channels, they will appear in the "guide" with information just like the satellite channels do.

Happy trails.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote