Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
5th wheel kingpin release

My wife cannot always get the Dodge/Montana in a "no load" condition, or have enough upper body strength to release the kingpin jaws. Being a 4WD, the side of the bed presents an additional obstacle to her getting a good pull on the release.

Anyone aware of an electric/motor driven release for the kingpin jaws?? Any other suggestions (other than going to the gym more often)?

John Ware
Wichita, KS

jchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
What brand hitch do you have?
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
I always raise the trailer to where I can just see daylight between hitch and kingpin plate. Should be no load on truck then. Sometimes I need to move truck ever so slightly forward or reverse to take pressure off of jaws so that they release real easy. JME
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
db_engineer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9068
I carry a two step folding step stool in the main basement. I use it to reach the lock on the hitch and occasionally to pull the release. We both use it to reach up into the upper storage in the kitchen.
db_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I back into the hitch and it makes it a lot easier to pull the release. I have a Reese 20K hitch. Hope this helps.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I do not believe there is an electric motor for what you seek. The jaws should be well-lubed (but not overly lubed - too messy) and easy to pull open. If not, then the posts about raising the trailer for that sliver of daylight between the hitch plates, or backing up or moving forward to release the tension should help, because it should not require a muscle builder to open the jaws.

If your assistant is height challenged the idea of the step stool sounds like it might work to gain a better angle.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:48 AM   #7
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
As said before, you need to have back pressure on the king pin before it will easily release. After backing onto my leveling boards...I immediately apply the brakes, while keeping your foot on the brake - engage the emergency brake then shift into park. This process will keep the back pressure on the king pin and you can release the hitch easily. I also carry a 2 step folding stool that I use if needed. If you had to pull forward to level...just back into the trailer lightly and do the above procedure. Works for me!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:57 AM   #8
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
[smiling] I'll try again with my wife to help her develop the technique(s) to getting the jaws to release, and to use the step ladder.

And hopefully we'll have a good training session!!! :-)

Thanks everyone!!
jchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:11 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
As Steves said. Have you ever noticed when you are not hooked up and you pull into a parking lot and put the truck in park. There is a little movement forward or backward, depending on the position of the pawls in the transmission and rear end. This rocking motion can be just enough to put pressure on the king pin mechanism. A lot more forceful when on a slightly sloped surface. That pressure has to be removed.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:18 AM   #10
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
With a 4X4 truck and 18 inch tires, I use a small folding step to get a good angle to pull the release. It sure makes like simpler for me.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:39 AM   #11
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I have an older RBW 5th wheel hitch and what I have learned is I come to a stop. Chock the trailer tires, then put truck in reverse and put slight pressure against the pin. Putting it back in park and upon pulling on the handle it will release very easy. Being 6'2" helps too.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:14 AM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
My Truck is a little different. So I have a 2' length of pipe and a pull rod to release the king pin lock, then I put the 2' length over the release handle and it releases very easy. I have the Trailer Saver Air ride hitch and the locking jaws is like the Class 8 Trucks use except the head is a little smaller. Its alway proper, after setting your Roto Choks or what system you use to keep the 5er from moving put the Truck in Reverse and move ever so slightly back and it will take the pressure off the King Pin. Good Luck. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:02 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Here is what we observe with our 16K draw tite hitch also on the Resse hitches. First of course try to release the hitch. NO go then take some pressure off the hitch by raising the camper a bit..no go. then this always works..If the last thing you did was to back into the camp site..bump the truck forward. If the last thing you did was to pull foward into the camp site...bump the truck back a bit.. This always works if the other things did not.....Give it a try next time. It always works better if one person is pulling on the release handle while the other is moving the truck....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:47 AM   #14
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
What works for us is if the site is level then we block the back trailer tires and back into the blocks. It doesn't take much. Lower legs and release the hitch. The key is to get the king pin forward of the locking jaws. Remember that and you have the problem solved. If your site is unlevel remember where the king pin is and compensate.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:09 AM   #15
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by farmboy

I always raise the trailer to where I can just see daylight between hitch and kingpin plate. Should be no load on truck then. Sometimes I need to move truck ever so slightly forward or reverse to take pressure off of jaws so that they release real easy. JME
Pretty much the way I do it. I usually just slide the tranny in neutral though. I recall when I bought the fiver the dealer showed us everything except how to unhitch. We were on unlevel ground, and I sheared the cotter pin in the handle trying to get the jaws to release. A quick call to the dealer, slide the tranny in neutral, and pronto, the hitch is so easy to release.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:05 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Chocking the trailer wheels, then backing the truck into the rig and setting the emergency brake works very well for us, both on this superglide and the Reese we used to have.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote