Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2010, 02:39 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Then again. Who really decides the spec's on these frames. Lippert makes frames for many brands and they are different.. Is it Keystone or Lippert who provides the spec's???? I doubt that Lippert can do a addition to the product that results in a increased cost to Keystone without keystone approval. And..I have yet to see on this forum or any other forum a case of a Lippert frame breaking. That is a frame broke and was the cause of the problem.. Have seen many pictures and reports of other parts failing causing damage to the frame. I am not convinced on this Frame failure thing.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:21 AM   #22
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
The frame and frame modulus may be okay as long as you stay within your weight limits. From my experience and what I see on this forum and others; is the weakness/failures of shackles, bolts, springs, axles, u-bolts etc, simply suspension components. The cross members would likely help the shackle situation and resist the tearing and twisting of shackles when in a sharp turn with a maxed out GVWR, but will not change the strength and capability of the suspension's springs, axles, u-bolts, spindles, wheels and tires. The disadvantage is that as you add a few extra pounds to reinforce, that then reduces the amount of carry-on weight permitted. These retrofits are great; but where does one stop adding or changing???
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:03 AM   #23
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Tom, you are correct in the idea of a one piece tube and getting it exact. My theory, or assumption at this time is that putting L types bracket on the end and welding one bracket on one end. On the opposite end another angle with a C-clamp on it, take it to the trailer and adjust that clamp to where it belongs re-clamp it, take it in shop and weld it. Right now, just an idea, when I get to it things may change. Or in my case, usually does. My blueprints aren't always the best lol. Will take pictures as I do it next spring, as the weather is just a tad bit to chilly for laying under a trailer.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #24
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by timandsusan

That is REALLY interesting! Because after our trip to Alaska and beyond in 2007, I discovered that one bolt holding the rear end of the left side spring had snapped. The end of the spring was resting inside the "U" shaped bracket against the frame. And the axles were out of alignment that cause alot of tire wear. So I got new tires and took the Monty into a trailer dealer in San Antonio. They welded two lateral pieces of angle iron between the frames and of course replaced the bolt. The mechanic who did the repair, told me that this was strengthen the frame. So, I guess I got the X-Factor installed in 2008 and did not even know it! What a deal! Anyway, no problems since but I have not driven back to Alaska over the frost heaves yet either. Always get good stuff on the MOC Site. Anyone going to the Spring MOC Rally can see the supports since we will be at the Rally.
Got pictures? What size angle iron? Thanks
mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #25
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Would this mod be a warranty concern? Sounds like something I need to do to my new rig.
mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:39 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just my opinion based on personal experience and observation. I am not a fan of retro fitting and re enforcing just for the sake of doing it.
IMO if we use these RV's in a normal manner and do PROPER MAINT they will serve us well. I think that we would not have had our U bolt failure IF I had read the book and done the suggested Maint.Some of us, ourselves included, use these guys hard and certainly not in a normal manner. In our case as long timers we do @ 7K Plus miles a year all over the country and live in it 7/9 months a year. We bounce, we bang, we sway, we careen. I would not, personal choice, travel up the ALkan in a OEM 3400. in fact we went to the Mor Ryde IS system for that and other reasons.
If I were a weekender/ vacationer I would think hard about spending money re enforcing when it probably is not needed. This things are, IMO built and designed for the Average user...some of us are far from that.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #27
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
We have just ordered a 3665Re with both the mor-ryde suspension and hitch....I hope it comes with whatever you all are talking about already installed on it...not sure exactly what you are speaking of since we don't have ours to look at...yet....
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:47 AM   #28
ratfink11
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9683
sola123, look at the MorRyde web site. It has information about the X-Factor and other suspension upgrades such as a wet bolt kit. May be paranoid, but I have just had these two upgrades installed on my `09 3400. Also went to a load range "G" G-614 Goodyear tire. Check to see if you have Goodyear Marathon load range "E" tires on your new unit. Many negative posts on the web about these tires and they have been made in China. Keep up on lug nut torque and make sure you use the procedure in the manual/CD they give you! Good luck!
ratfink11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:07 AM   #29
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sola123

We have just ordered a 3665Re with both the mor-ryde suspension and hitch.... I hope it comes with whatever you all are talking about already installed on it...not sure exactly what you are speaking of since we don't have ours to look at...yet....
It won't because it's an aftermarket item that (to my knowledge) no manufacture has started to add as either standard or optional equipment.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote