Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2008, 04:16 AM   #1
shertom

M.O.C. #8861
hauling rig for Montana

We want to purchase a Montana 5th wheel and already have a 2500 duramax crewcab GMC. Is that a good truck for hauling this trailer?

shertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:39 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by shertom

We want to purchase a Montana 5th wheel and already have a 2500 duramax crewcab GMC. Is that a good truck for hauling this trailer?
In fear of stirring up some Montana owners, I'm going to say yes, depending upon the 5th wheel you get. We have a 3555RL that we've been towing all over the country, north to south and east to west for over eight years. We know we should probably have a bigger truck for safety reasons, but so far we've done well. On top of that we know we are overloaded.

I will not say that the 3/4 ton truck will pull any Montana, but they will, nor will I ever advise anyone to use a 2/4 ton truck. In our case, the 3/4 ton truck was what we had when we purchased our Montana in 2000 and we couldn't afford another truck.

You do what you feel you need to do.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:42 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
It is a excellent truck for a small Montana, but most of the larger ones really need a bit more weight carrying capacity than a 2500/250 truck. Lots of people do tow with a 2500, but they are bending the rules a bit. You will probably get lots of other advice here, so read it all and consider your options.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:10 AM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

It is a excellent truck for a small Montana, but most of the larger ones really need a bit more weight carrying capacity than a 2500/250 truck. Lots of people do tow with a 2500, but they are bending the rules a bit. You will probably get lots of other advice here, so read it all and consider your options.
Yep.

If you'll do the numbers, you'll find, with few exceptions, mosts 3/4 tons will exceed their cargo capacity with any Montana. The diesel will "pull" fine, but the 3/4 cannot handle the pin weight and everything else we put in our trucks and stay within the GVWR.

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:15 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I am not again going to get into a heated discussion with the "Weight Police". If you want to know any one's opinion on which is the best truck to pull with just take a look at their signature. Those pulling with a 3500/350 will always say that the 2500/250 is not enough truck no ifs ands or buts about it. As this thread grows you will see just what I am talking about.

Having said that, At the recent Fall Rally with nearly 60 tow vehicles in attendance you would have found that the 2500/250s far out numbered the 3500/350s. Probably by 3 to 1. These numbers are the same numbers you will find at any of the past Fall and Regional MOC rallys. All those members using a 2500/250 cannot be wrong.

I have drug my 3485 Monty with my 2500HD D/A all over the US for the past 2 summers. From Florida to Northern NY to California, Oregon, Washington and all points in between. NOT once did I have any problems pulling the western mountains and more importantly NOT once did I have any problems coming down the other side. I have also made emergency stops without a problem.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Pay no attention to opinions.Pay no attention to what folks pull with. Do your homework. The numbers will provide the answer. Because folks do it does not make it right. You can pull a Montana with your truck and be within all Spec's and Ratings. Do the numbers and choose the proper Montana or a brand camper that will meet the requirements.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I tow my 3400RL with a 2500HD Duramax and have not had any trouble. I have the original 3400RL floorplan which has a lower king pin weight as well as a lower GVWR than the new ones. I am also single and do not carry anywhere near the stuff in my coach that a couple would in theirs. Now having said that, when the time comes to trade my current truck in I will be going with a 3500HD or MDT for my own reasons. Happy shopping for your new 5th wheel.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:48 PM   #8
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Need to check if you have the tow package installed. And check the GVWR capacity for the truck you have. A lot us myself included tow with a 3/4 ton.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:36 PM   #9
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I tow part time for a rv transport company out of Goshen,IN. They will allow you to transport with a 3/4 ton diesel long bed but only the trailer weight allowed by law. They will not allow you to haul the larger rigs that most on this website have. I get the choice of the litter with a one ton dually which they really want the drivers to have. Some companies will not even hire you without a dually. Just some more info to condider.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well now ..who wants to hear that...... Could it be that when transporting you are commerical and subject to those regulations. When pulling your own camper.."It will pull it fine" is the only rule you need to adhere to.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by old turbo

I tow part time for a rv transport company out of Goshen,IN. They will allow you to transport with a 3/4 ton diesel long bed but only the trailer weight allowed by law. They will not allow you to haul the larger rigs that most on this website have. I get the choice of the litter with a one ton dually which they really want the drivers to have. Some companies will not even hire you without a dually. Just some more info to condider.
Hmmmmmmm - good answer.

BTW - expect a high side of about 2,800 lbs pin weight on that 3400 when you get it loaded. Should help with your calculations.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:16 AM   #12
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Pay no attention to opinions.Pay no attention to what folks pull with. Do your homework. The numbers will provide the answer. Because folks do it does not make it right.
Good advice.

I wondered when the evil weight police would be mentioned...imagine to think we should adhere to the specs published by the manufacturer. Do the numbers as noted above, you will be over the GW rating for the truck...then you have to decide if you want to tow in that condition. I was in your shoes, and was told in very graphic terms by an attorney that it was not a good idea to tow over weight due to liability issues. Thus my dually.

billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote