Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2008, 03:36 AM   #1
Montyman
Established Member

M.O.C. #8786
Mission vs Marathon tires on 2009 Montanas

I have noticed on this forum that a lot of Montanas have experienced tire failures with the Mission tires. I read here that the new 2009 units have the Marathon tires. I have had failures with Goodyear tires in the past and replaced all 5 over a two year period. After a near fatal blow out event. Can anyone tell if the newer Marathon tires are any better or should I start looking for some replcements soon. I hate changing tires on the freeway in the rain. My local tire vendor eagerly awaits your input.
Thanks,Montyman

Montyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:57 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I have no factual basis - but the tread on the Chinese Marathon looks alot like the tread on the Chinese Mission which looks alot like the tread on the Chinese Freestar, etc. I think we are being filled full of BS and these are all being popped out of the same factory.

On the other hand, I have had good luck with Marathon on boat trailers for over 20 years. However we are talking 1,200 lbs per tire on the boat versus 3,500 lbs per tire on the Monty.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
I did outside sales today and called on some Goodyear tire stores and asked a store manager and service manager about the Marathon tire. They said it was the best trailer and heavy service tire they make and as long as you don't let them get old we should have no problems.
Jay D.
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I would have to agree with what Brad said. I just got in from buying new tires for the Mountaineer and the TV. The tire man told me the same thing Brad said. The different names on the tires are there merely for different markets, all from the same plant. I went with Cooper tires, made in the good old USA. No more Chinese time bombs for me!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Montyman, I've had tons of problems with Goodyear Marathon tires and will never again have them on any rig I own. But others swear they've had good service from them. I've had two Missions replaced with Freestar tires by Tireco. So far the Freestars are doing well (stress on 'so far.') Now I have another Mission gone bad so am going to talk with Tireco about replacing all three remaining Mission tires. I'll wait until we get to KC in early November, though, so I'll have time to get them mounted and balanced.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote