Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
What Is Considered Old??

Regarding the 12 v battery on the Monty, what is considered "old" so that you replace it before it really fails?

Thanks

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:59 PM   #2
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
boy .... that's a tough one. For an automobile I might consider the batteries to be "old" at 5 to 7 years. For batteries in an RV, I would onsider 4 to 5 years to be old. This would vary - if I had lots of charge and recharge cycles, the lifespan would probably be shorter.
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:33 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
When I first saw this, I thought you were going to be talking about age of people. We had our previous 5er a little over 7 years. Replaced the battery at about 3 years (it was not a good one to start) and then never had a problem after that and we used it almost constantly in those 4 years. We were living in it while working out of town. I'm sure this is like a lot of other things, it depends on how much it is used and how well it is maintained.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:33 PM   #4
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
3 years is normal, 4 your doing pretty good. Depends on how you look after the batteries.
Lots of hi-tec helpers bout there. Like Smart chargers, etc

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:06 PM   #5
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I bought my rig in July 03. I thought I lost the batteries, took them to the dealer and had them load tested and they are A-OK. I figure he told me the truth because I told him I would buy the replacement batteries from him. Have not had a problem since, however, it has been only a month or so.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:46 AM   #6
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Really depends on how they are maintained...kept charged and watered; how often they are discharged and recharged; how/where they are kept (in RV or at home in the winter/heat of summer); size (24/27); and luck...some batteries are better than others. With lots of TLC, I kept a set of four boat batteries six years in the harsh marine environment.

To answer your original question, I would not replace a battery until it did fail...it'll tell you when it's getting ready to die, that's when I'd replace it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote