Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2006, 10:29 AM   #1
Montana_2194
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2194
backed into a tree

Hi folks

I can't believe I did it, and am ashamed to admit it. I backed into a tree (which wasn't there a minute earlier). The stern of the ship has broken fibre-glass visible in a two foot area, and cracks above and below. If I leave it dirty, it's hardly noticeable (lol) but I can't ignore my folly.

Has anyone else been this stupid, or am I alone? I don't know whether to go to a body shop, or if I can buy a new rear panel (roof to frame). The back of the trailer looks like a single factory panel, but I can't guess what it might cost if I could get it.

Any thoughts, other than to tell me to look where I'm backing up. (my wife was bragging that I was such a good backer-upper, and it went to my head!)

Jack

Montana_2194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:38 AM   #2
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Ouch!

Okay, now I have to make another confession. I *touched* a tree about a year ago, and several weeks later noticed some cracking in the fiberglass on the rear lower panel, passenger side. Fox RV was doing some other repairs and upgrades for me in September in Indiana, and their expert applied some magic and you can hardly tell the difference now. In fact the repaired area looks better than the original. Any fiberglass expert should be able to repair it. Try an auto body shop that repairs sports cars?
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:49 AM   #3
ldunning
Established Member

M.O.C. #5692
I think that it would be easier to find a good fiberglass repair person at a boat repair shop. Most fiberglass cars (Corvettes) are painted instead of gel coat.

Good Luck
ldunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:23 PM   #4
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
When we got home from New Hampshire, Chuck backed into our garage and gave our ladder a new look. Also the garage. I told him to stop, but sometimes men don't listen.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:44 PM   #5
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We did something simular to a 99 Terry that we first had. Fifth wheels turn sharper and that darn trash dumpster jumped right out and put a gash 2 inches x 8 inches right thru the side of the Terry. We taped it up and wrote Ouch on it. It was all over the campgrounds by the time we left. Our insurance co sent us to a bodyshop that specialized in fiberglass repair and when it came out, you coudn't tell it was ever punched thru. WE traded for a montana right after that. Just kidding, actually we did. I didn't feel so bad because there was a class a pusher that had a scrape all the way down the side in the compartment area that they were fixing.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:27 PM   #6
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
Hi Jack...been there and done that. Backed into a concrete post near Kingman, Ca and was sure that i did not need my wife back there before i backed up. Should have used the walki-talki's. Ordered a new tail light and it worked out OK.
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:50 PM   #7
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Wellllll, ok, Paul isn't here so I am going to tell on him! When we had to stay in the Fairplex RV Park while our house was being fumigated we had pulled into our spot great. But when it got time to pull out, I was inside with the entertainment slide and the dining slide still out because I needed him to help me lift the coffee table out of the way. I yelled to him and he said he would be there in a minute. I heard the truck start up and I thought, OK, he is warming up the truck. Then all of the sudden, I flew backwards towards the door and BAM! I jumped up and ran outside and Yes, he had backed the entertainment slide right into the tree! A HUGE TREE at that! I don't know how in the heck he missed seeing it. I just looked at him....He gets out of the truck and you aren't going to believe this! He turns to me and says "DID I HIT SOMETHING???" I just looked at him! I said
"HERE'S YOUR SIGN!!" When we went back to look at it, he was so embarrassed he could have died. Everyone was out and looking at him. He turned around and pointed to me! I just walked back in and waited for him and we put the table up and the slides in and got the heck out of there! So the answer is no, you aren't the only one! We have all done stupid things just some of us are more vocal about it!
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:35 AM   #8
Dano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4721
O.K. I guess its my turn. When we left PA. two weeks ago I was pulling out of the park and turned to sharp and hurd a branch snap. It put a nice scape down the side and pulled part of my slide topper out. Pretty easy fix and A little bit of scubbing it'll be as good as new. I've pulled a lot of boats and small trailers but nothing as big as the monty, Still need some practice I guess.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:50 AM   #9
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Second time we brought our Montana home, hubby "touched" a tree (he was mortified-in all his years of driving 18-wheelers he'd never done that). Ours is a 2000 and he got a fiberglass repair kit and paint at Wally World to fix it - can't tell it ever happened. But, if the damaged area is large, and has gel coat, you might want to consider having it repaired professionally.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:17 AM   #10
rogersuemegan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3579
Send a message via AIM to rogersuemegan
Don't feel to bad, my hubby took out a mail-box when our Monty was 4 months old, did $2500 worth of damage!! Got it fixed and all is well. A friend of ours has a brand new motor home $200,000 or more and he backed into a tree a week ago and did $40,000 worth of damage so you see it could be worse!!!
rogersuemegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:40 AM   #11
Montana_2194
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2194
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rogersuemegan

Don't feel to bad, my hubby took out a mail-box when our Monty was 4 months old, did $2500 worth of damage!! Got it fixed and all is well. A friend of ours has a brand new motor home $200,000 or more and he backed into a tree a week ago and did $40,000 worth of damage so you see it could be worse!!!
I guess we could go and watch "RV" with Robin Williams. Then we'd all feel better, eh? (can't help the "eh" - Canadian eh!)
Montana_2194 is offline   Reply With Quote