Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2006, 02:23 AM   #1
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Alaska Travel

I need some experienced answers from people who have been to Alaska in their units. I hear all kinds of answers from people who know someone who went, but they themselves have not.

[/b]My Question is, can I take my unit to Alaska and not beat it up from the roads and will I have trouble parking a 3670RL?[/b]

rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:01 AM   #2
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Most of us went to Alaska last summer with The Denners. Check their Blog. I think you can still get in to it. We had such a good time on their trip that we are doing it ourselves this year.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:43 PM   #3
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Alaska is on my to do list. I will go in the next 2-3 years. I have been reserching other peoples trips and putting togeter a dream now. We would probably benifit from an oranized tour as we would have to be on some kind of time schedule. I can only take off a short time during the summer working at an Ice Cream company.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:43 AM   #4
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I was hoping to get more info from people who have made the trip to Alaska. I plan to head out in June. We will be traveling with a friend. Looking forward to it, just wish diesel fuel was not so high.
You might see me on the side of the road, "Will work for Diesel Fuel."
Old 04-15-2006, 04:24 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
David, send me an email requesting our journal and I will send you more than you'll ever want to know about a personal trip to Alaska. We have a journal covering five months of travel as well as an Excel spread sheet covering our budget. Anyone else who is interested can make the same request.

Your 3670 will do fine going to Alaska. Slow down when you see the markers for the frost heaves and pick campgrounds that don't post length restrictions. There are some very big rigs up there so there are no limit. Just go and enjoy. It's the trip of a lifetime. We may do it again some time.

We traveled there in 2005. The Denners.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:13 PM   #6
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
I have to ask since heard this at a RV Park. It was told that Canada will not allow you in (Across the Border) if you have Aux Fuel Tanks installed in the bed of the truck. Does anyone know or heard if this is true.
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:34 PM   #7
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Leaseit,

Welcome to the MOC. I live in British Columbia and I think you have a good question. I don't carry (what we call a tidy tank) But I do know there is a restriction on how big or how much bulk fuel you can carry in a pick-up. I think it falls under our dangerous cargo act. You might need special permits or are just not allowed to carry too much. Well worth looking into before you get to the border.
J & D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:14 AM   #8
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
This is a question that I need to know the answer since I have a aux. tank on my unit. I have not considered it a problem, it is diesel not gas, but I need to know before I get somewhere and have a problem. If anyone knows this answer, that would be great.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:06 AM   #9
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
I have a 116 gallon tank in the bed of my TV. We crossed the the border several times in 2003 and were never questioned about it. Maybe the law has changed since then, or perhaps it just went unnoticed. We plan on going back into Canada in the next few months, so I hope somebody comes up with the answer.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:03 PM   #10
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Judy, Can you take meat (fresh or frozen) from the US into Canada on your way to and from Alaska?
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:26 PM   #11
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We stocked up on Tequilla when we were going back and forth to Mexico for dental work and lately we have been having a ball at all the winery's in California. What will happen to all this when we cross Canada on our way to Alaska? There is no way we could drink it all in the next month. Any suggestions?
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:21 PM   #12
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Bill & Helen, drop it off at my place on your way north. We'll put it to good use at the upcoming rally.

Well, I tried!
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:41 PM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Sunshine, when we went into Canada they asked if we had any guns, anything for sale, and why we were going to Canada. When we returned the border people searched the trailer and they were looking for Canadian beef. Meat from Alaska and the US was okay as long as it wasn't open. Even dog food isn't allowed, I think. There is a website about Canadian Customs that will give you the most up-to-date listing of stuff. We also found out that we could have purchased apples and fruits that were in harvest in Canada and brought them into the lower 48.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:31 PM   #14
Go Pokes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1645
In 2004 we made the trip the Alaska, we were never questioned about our extra diesel transfer tank of our 20 gallon red plastic gasoline tank(for generator) in the pickup bed. But everytime we crossed a border, the questions were different. Canada did always asked, "Have any guns? Have any alcohol? and Where is the father of the grandkids?". We answered NO. No, and "He is in Oklahoma working at the bank" Entering back into the US, we were ask about beef but never searched. We are leaving for Alaska the last week in June, 2006. There is so much to do and see, we just have to go again.
Go Pokes is offline   Reply With Quote