Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2006, 06:39 AM   #1
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Where do you winter in New Mexico?

Would like to spend a month or so in New Mexico next winter. Where do the snowbirds usually land?

Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
We winter here at stick house in Albuquerque (we hope to be heading out in July) - our winters are mild disregarding the last few days! We now have a Camping World! There are some nice areas in the southern part of the state - Carlsbad, Alamogordo, Las Cruces, Anthony,NM-TX has an Am RV/Camping World and park, Silver City.

Enjoy - there is lots to see!
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:25 AM   #3
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
The KOA in Carlesbad is very nice. And centered around a lot of history. And if you have any interest in Billy the Kid. That is the area he lived. If you have never been to Carlesbad Caverns....It is well worth the trip. Awsome is all I can say.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 05:52 AM   #4
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
ragdoll and trukdoc, thank you so much for your replies. I was beginning to think New Mexico was no man's land - just kidding. It's been 40 years or so since I was through there and really want to come back and visit. Your suggestions have given us some things to ponder. Thanks again.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 03:18 PM   #5
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Sunshine or anyone interested in visiting NM,

Here are a couple of web sites you might be interested in.

www.state.nm.us
www.nmmonuments.org

Safe and happy travels,
Lorraine
Old 04-02-2006, 05:22 PM   #6
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
We've never "wintered' there because we're still working but we always enjoyed the Alamogordo area and I have to believe it's nice there in the winter. I think Las Cruces is another area that a few people stay in the winter. My favorite thing to do when I'm in NM is eat at Blakes Lottabuger! (of course I think hamburgers should be eaten at least daily!!)

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:12 AM   #7
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
I grew up in Alamogordo and my parents still live there so I am partial to the area. It is nice and within a nice drive to Capitain, Ruidoso, Lincoln. Can't beat Blakes with green chili on it!

Safe travels.
Lorraine
Old 04-03-2006, 06:15 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We enjoyed the area although we did not winter there. Lincoln is the town you want for Billy the Kid history. The whole area, as Trukdoc mentioned, but Lincoln has lots of history related to Billy the Kid and lots of historical markers and museums (kinda).

Mac, I'm with you on the burger a day thing. Annie's Place in Topeka, KS, is still the best I've ever had. Well, the best was at Byrds' Nest in Topeka but Bill Byrd shut it down and took off to see the country.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:22 AM   #9
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Steve,

If Bill Byrd is seeing the country in an RV we can follow him around and he can still make us those burgers!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:13 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mac, he sure made good ones!

Jack and Lorraine, I wish I'd known you are in Albuquerque right now. We spent the nights of March 11, 12, and 13 in your fair city, waiting out the winter storm west and north of there. Well, I guess we got some of it in A, too, just not like they did west and north.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:29 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We've spent some winter time at the Escapee park in Lakewood, NM called "The Ranch." We have a lot there with a lifetime lease. The winters are not bad although we have had some 0 degree weather at night with temps during the day up to 50-60. It's about 2500-3000 in altitude. But you have to be an Escapee to be granted entrance or have a friend who is an Escapee who is there.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:45 PM   #12
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Steve & Vicki, would have been nice to have met ya'll. Usually we are home from Oct until June or July. Rarely travel in the spring due to all the freak storms everywhere as you experienced in March - we are trying to get things done around here along with painting. Looking forward to getting on the road even though we haven't made firm plans. Any one in the area drop us an email or pm and we can make plans to get together.

Safe and happy travels.
Lorraine