Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2005, 12:41 PM   #1
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Mocassin Creek SP

Heading out tomorrow to Mocassin Creek SP, situated in the North Georgia mountains on Lake Burton. The last time we camped there was in 1995 when we had our Coleman pop up, so this will be very different. I am interested in seeing how the Ford handles some slightly twisty roads and small grades thrown together.

We will be there until Friday, July 1, so say hello if you happen by that way!

Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 02:40 PM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
If this post catches you before you leave, let us wish you a great time. Years ago we stayed at an old fishing camp named "LaPrades" (at least I think that was it). Very rustic cabins, but the price included two meals: supper, as we southerners say, and breakfast. The food was great. We've never been back and wonder if it is still there. Seems like it was on or near Lake Burton.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 03:14 PM   #3
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
David, LaPrades is still there, though I have not spent time there, though it remains a bit of a local legend in the area. I believe it is only a few miles on the same road before you reach Mocassin Creek, but also on Lake Burton.

Thanks—we do hope for a good time. I just caught Marsha “sneaking” her sewing machine out to the Montana, so it looks like another surrendering of the rear desk to her quilting efforts! I also figure I will have a difficult time pulling John away from the trout hatchery on the other side of the creek!
Old 06-26-2005, 04:28 PM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Maybe you can slip away and go for "dinner" (as the Yankees say) at LaPrades. I know that many local people came in just for that meal. If it is still anything like it was when we were there it will be worth it.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 04:58 PM   #5
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
I was thinking that very thing after my reply!
Old 06-27-2005, 12:55 AM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I'm glad that Marsha has her priorities right! Have a good time! Judy
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 06:02 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Have fun! I think you'll find your Ford won't really care about the curves and grades. Ours doesn't! That big grille just turns into a big grin.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 07:21 AM   #8
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Well, I have to say that the Ford continues to impress. It was a little slow around a decidedly sharp curve to the left at which I had to slow to about 15 mph and then start up a grade there, but other than that, it towed like a champ.

Steve, tell Vicki that I am finally becoming a beliver in the 6.0 PSD. I suppose I must have a direct lineage to Thomas, you know, fill the nail holes and all, because I have to experience to believe! From that POV, this was a very good trip in addition to nice weather and a beautiful site.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:57 AM   #9
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wordsmith

I just caught Marsha “sneaking” her sewing machine out to the Montana, so it looks like another surrendering of the rear desk to her quilting efforts!
Way to go, Marsha!

Donna.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 04:13 PM   #10
paparonsr
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #168
I thought "LaPrades" had been sold to make way for Condos. Did you visit it while at Mocassin Creek? A couple of years ago we were in the area and it was closed, we were told it had been sold. It was a wonderful place to eat!
paparonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 04:33 PM   #11
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
paparonsr, Sadly no stop at LaPrades as you are correct that it was sold a couple of years ago. According to the lady working at the check in station at Moccasin Creek, the new owners are having some type of dispute with Georgia Power and have been unable to reopen LaPrades.

Some things DO change…
Old 07-04-2005, 08:21 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
J.D., glad to hear you slowed down around that curve! I'm absolutely sold on the 6.0, too. Towing 14,360 lbs around is so much more pleasant when the truck just takes it all in stride. Sounds like you are getting more comfortable with towing a big rig. After awhile you'll relax when towing it, if you haven't already. Still vigilant, but relaxed. That probably comes with confidence in your equipment and in your ability to tow it.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:09 AM   #13
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Steve, confidence in the equipment and myself weredefinitely what was on my mind! Now that I have more faith in the PSD, I can most likely be more comfortable with my own abilities. Probably a year from now, this will all be so much more comfortable.

On a side topic, backing is becoming much easier, but I have little intention of putting myself into a position where quarters will be tight. While at Moccasin Creek SP, we drove over to the campground at Tallulah Gorge SP, and I have to say that I have little intention of going there anytime soon as the roads are narrow with trees at awkward points.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:02 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
JD, practice is how you learn....
Old 07-05-2005, 10:36 AM   #15
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Amen!
Old 07-06-2005, 05:46 AM   #16
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Steve & J.D.
I am also impressed with the new Ford. I have the Duramax and have been over some long steep pulls with the new Fords right with me and both of us leaving all others that are towing in the dust. If I where buying today I would be looking at the Ford.
Just another thought.
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote