Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2005, 03:50 PM   #1
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Fredericksburg RV Park, Texas

We just spent a very nice week in Fredericksburg Texas, looking at wildflowers, driving through the Hill County and generally enjoying ourselves immensly.

We stayed at Fredericksburg RV Park, which came well recommended. Has WiFi, sites are good for us big rigs, the power seems fine (we are running a 30 AMP cord, not that 50 monster), the facilities are CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. There are some strict rules here, which Al and I appreciate, rules usually keep things real nice!

Normally, we would highly recommend this campground to others, except for one small issue, which for us is a moral dilema, and for you might be a call of conscience, and comfort level with the situation. It will have to be your call.

Here is the situation, the other evening there were a number of young children in the park, riding their bikes, the oldest might have been 6, the youngest was about 3, posibly 4?? Cute little girl. These kids were well behaved.

Next thing I know a SUV drives up and parks by the bathroom. The driver is young, and I am talking 10 to 12 years old. No, not kidding. I ended up calling the office, I was so shocked and very concerned about these little kids on bikes on the same road as some 10 year old driving a SUV!

I got a bigger shock when I discovered that the child was the owner's son! Some of her comments to me were, He does it all the time. No big deal. Etc. I convinced her that this distressed me, seeing that these little kids were down here riding bikes. She sent someone to get the SUV. She basically acted as if I was a nut case.

I have discussed this at length with several friends and I think we have covered all the ups and downs of this, it is private property, this is not Michigan, oh, the discussion went on and on.

I will add that Al was talking to a full timer who is staying in this park for an extended visit, and loves it. When he mentioned to her how upset this incident was to us, she said, oh, yes, he does that all the time, the parents think it is fine, they were raised out on ranches where they learn to drive at a young age, but, we don't like it, but are afraid to say anything to her so we all do a lot of praying.

Al and I will not be returning to this campground, for us it is a call of ethics, and what is right and what is wrong. And, the thought of coming here and possibly being subjected to a horrible accident scene just does not appeal to us.

For each of you, it is your call. The park is very nice, there is NO doubt about it, but this attitude is something that we cannot abide by, and will not bring our $$ here again.

And, yes, I am writing a letter to the owner, a hard copy letter, expressing our dismay at their attitude and informing them that they won't have us as a customer again.

Carol

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 04:28 PM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Carol-
Allowing a 10 year old to drive regardless where he lives is not the norm. Most children of that age can hardly see over the steering wheel much less be experienced enough to handle a SUV in any kind of crisis. You were very right to express your feelings to the owner. Glad that you enjoyed the Texas Hill Country except for this incident.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:49 AM   #3
Southstl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19
I agree with you both. Sorry for your situation Carol and Al. We dislike that park for other reasons and have not visited there in a few years.

Dito what Charlie said about enjoying your visit, Fredericksburg and the Hill Country is one of our favorite places in Texas.

You 2 have a safe trip.
Southstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:58 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve and Charlie

Fredericksburg and the Hill County are fabulous, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT! and, there is NO DOUBT, we will be back to the area!!
Old 04-08-2005, 05:50 AM   #5
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
It's more than an ethics issue - it's just plain common sense - at that age nobody can control a vehicle if they get into trouble and with little ones around it should be obvious to the owners that they could be facing serious charges if anyone is hurt - I mean anyone, not just little kids.

BTW I started driving at about the same age BUT it was only on farm fields and even then there was always a farm hand around to make sure I didn't hit anything, anybody or any animal. I guess farm/ranch activities allow kids to grow up fast but never never never were we allowed to be put any person or animal in danger.

Good for you - write them a stinker!
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 07:00 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, I certainly agree with you on all points. We were there two weeks but did not experience anything like that at all. So maybe this is new since then. In any case, it would not be acceptable to me, either. I'm not sure about the legality but find it hard to believe a campground would be considered private property for this type of law. Have you considered writing to the local police as well and have them check it out?

Thanks for the report. We are very disappointed about this as we would have returned to that park next time around. I think when we're ready and call for a reservation we will ask specifically if the owner's minor child is still allowed to drive in the park. If the answer is yes we'll pass. If no, I'll ask for that in writing before we pay them on arrival.

By the way, I've taken to keeping the galley tank valve closed until full after thinking about your comments on food particles. See, even an old dog can change. I still keep the bath gray tank open most of the time, though. After two overflows from the washer when I forgot to open the valves, I'll minimize that risk. Plus we don't get the food particles in that tank.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 03:46 PM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

Glad to hear you are rethinking holding tanks!

And, thank you all for your support of my post here on this child driving situation. It was a very upsetting situation and I thought long and hard before I posted it here. I don't like "slamming" anyone, but there are times ya just gotta do what ya gotta do!

Sadly, we got another campground situation here in Arlington Texas, that for us is less than great. But that is another day, and another gripe! I hate to be full of sour grapes, makes for lousy company and chat!

Carol
Old 04-10-2005, 10:26 AM   #8
Southstl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19
Hi Al and Carol. I sure hope your problems were not at Burleson and the RV Ranch. If so please let me know. Our group does not use Fredericksburg RV anymore for some of the antics, and if you are having problems at the RV Ranch, we sure would like to know.

Drive safely.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:56 PM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
NOPE Steve, we are not in Burleson. You can relax!

We are in Treetops in Arlington, had a misunderstanding about the dogs, SIGH. The dogs are welcome, the campground is VERY VERY VERY pretty, trees, shrubs, etc. We asked about the dogs, and were told they were more than welcome, etc.

Then we got here, the reservation was made for the wrong day and after all the business was done (they had the $$), they tell us that we are not allowed to use our xpen/kennel for the yorks. Went downhill from there, but of course, sad to say. The owners finally came down and offered us a refund, but we were half set up, tired from the drive that day, it was a Friday afternoon, and we had a lot of appointments for Saturday, Sunday and Monday. We just did not want to hook back up and move. So, we stayed, but, we won't be back in the near future. Shoot, we are two for two I guess.

So, you can relax, we are not talking about Burleson! And, we have learned a valuable lesson, from now on when we try to make a reservation, not only will we ask if the yorks are welcome, but for them to read us every rule they have concerning the dogs. Not worth the frustration to go someplace that is uncomfortable for us and the dogs. Why pay to be miserable???

Carol
Old 04-12-2005, 08:19 AM   #10
Southstl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19
Thanks for the info. And we hope the rest of your travels are better.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:15 AM   #11
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Country Guy
I understand your concern. I was driving farm implements, pickup truck, etc. when I was 10 on a farm in Wisconsin, but there was no other traffic and I was (am) 6 ft 2. Now I am more mature (well, SS eligible) and I think I was crazy back then.
In Virginia Beach, 10 year olds are not allowed to drive riding lawn mowers in their own yard. My neighbor went through the roof when someone complained and he got a warning, but his kid was wising off with, too. Its not the skill that matters, its the judgement.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote