Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2005, 09:59 AM   #1
littlespud
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1696
Refridgerator

This winter we used the refrigerator for storing frozen foods, extra food. We opened the door to clean it out to take to the RV dealer for other things to fix, and we found mold around the bottom of the freezer door, and the top of the main door. I presented this to the service manager, and he said he have to empty out the refrigerator once a month, and let it dry out, and this won't happen, Well, I've had a trailer for over 30 years, and I have NEVER heard or had to do this in the past. We bought this 3400 Montana last June 2004, it is a 2005 unit, is there something I don't know about, anyone else encounter this problem?? My 3400 is at the dealers now, so if I could share your experiences, it would be helpful. Thanks littlespud

Old 03-25-2005, 11:20 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We are fulltimers and our fridge is on 24/7/365. I never heard of such a thing. This maybe another one of those times when the dealer is talking out his you know what.
I would contact Dometic directly and ask them the question. Call Dometic Customer Support at 800-544-4881
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 11:24 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
littlespud

I read this, and first thought, was, well, I get mold at home, I found mold on my Montana just last week (on the top of the frig door, in those little grooves in the seals). Then I went on to read more of the posts. Then I thought about it some more.

I think that mold is caused by dirt and high humidity.

I see you are from CA, did you get the abnormal amounts of rain this year like I kept hearing about on the news??? Would your humidity levels been higher than in past years?? Just kinda thinking aloud here,

Now, how bout where you camped last year, did you get into any particularly dusty or dirty places, left the windows open more than normal??? Again, just kinda thinking aloud.

We are in the Rio Grande Valley, leaving the windows open as much as possible, first cause it is soooo fab to do so, second, cause we have to pay our electric bill here, 12 cents a kilowatt hour. I noticed today that there is a LOT more dust in this rig than I normally see, fine dust.

Anyway, just a few thoughts, for us all to ponder.

I don't see anything different about the seals on this unit that what I have on my stick built fridges or from previous rigs, but maybe it is a different material/substance??

Hope I did not insult anyone with my thinking aloud. Did not mean to.

Carol

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 02:10 PM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Carol-
Bet ya'll are about ready to bail out of South Texas. Home for me was the little town of Premont on US281 about 85 miles north of where you are.....things really start to heat up about this time of year down there.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 03:52 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I preface this by saying that I make no claim of being a mildew expert. I have lived on the Gulf Coast for the better part of my life. Excessive humidity is rarely absent.

My experience with refrigerators in this climate tells me that the amount of vulnerability the seals and gaskets have to becoming collection spots for the nasty stuff is directly related to the amount of condensation that occurs. Some units are better than others about controlling the amount of condensation at the gasket. One refrigerator we owned had a heating element in the door casing to dry the moisture. We have had several different brands at different price levels, but they all have had this problem and require cleaning and mildew removal at regular intervals.

Most seals adhere to the main body but using magnetic strips as both seal and gasket. If a seal is not sealing or has become deteriated to the point of even slightly leaking cold air, or the door is frequently not solidly closed, condenstion increases and so does the mildew build up particularly at that point.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 05:55 PM   #6
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Ontmont told me something I didn't know. In the top of your ref. you have a rocker switch. Is it on or off. Don't know if it will make a difference or not. If you are boon-docking you want it off. It will run your Battery down sooner.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 01:08 AM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
faeb and genb,

That humidity button (for lack of a better term) really works too!

Charlie,

Yep, we head out April 1st, going to Fredericksburg Texas for a week of wild flowers. It is getting warm, been in the 80 to 90 range. Al and I comment, ooo, warm, then we comment, pool time. The temps are like a salve to the soul, so far! Parks are getting empty, could shoot cannons down the rows and not hit any more than an occassional bird or rabbit!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote