Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2004, 11:28 AM   #1
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Electrical Question??? Help Please!

This is what I found behind my dining table and chairs in my slide out. Street side rear corner.

This is what was behind there after I removed the face plate entirely.

My question is this. I'd like to make it a functioning electrical outlet, but I am not quite sure if I can? If I can I'm not quite sure how I should do the wiring? Dick is afraid for me to do it, as he thinks I will mess something up in the electrical system. Can I?

Also has anyone added an electrical outlet to their basement? If so how did you do it? Do you have any step by step instructions? How about pictures? I know there has to be a way, but I'm a loss as to how to even begin.

We are installing a central vac between the stairs to the bedroom and the "coat closet" in our 3205RK. It's going to meet me at the campground in Montana. They were out of them until Tuesday so they are going to ship it to our destination. I really need to have an electrical hook up in the basement and it can even be an outlet which would be great as we could charge the cordless drill battery in there at the same time.

In the meantime until I do get a source of power down there I imagine I can grab the electrical cord and plug it into the outlet on the curio cabinet?

Patty

Ps. Sorry about the pictures being a bit big. I don't know really how to make them smaller in this forum?

RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 01:03 PM   #2
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi I wanted an outlet in the front part of the unit but could not find any convenient place to get the power from. I use it mostly on the outside for a blower or tv but also in the basement. I drilled a 1" hole from the basement into the propane locker and also another one up thru the closet floor into the closet by the entry door. I bought a 12 guage 25' extention cord, ran it thru the propane locker, across the top of the basement, thru the hole up to the washer recepticle in the closet. I leave it hanging out side until I hit the road then I coil it up and Tyrap it to the gas bottle for travel. It will reach all the front compartments. Works great for my purposes one of which is to runn a battery charger to fast recharge the batteries when camping with no power using a generator. Allowing just the inverter to charge them takes for ever. My wife makes me stuff holes with steel wool to keep the creatures out. Enough of my rambling. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 05:21 PM   #3
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I'm going to run an outlet on a wall below a 110 AC sconce lamp. I'll just undo the light fixture, add wires from the hot wire, neutral, and ground from the light and drop them down the wall (an inside wall with no insulation) and add a "remodel" box and conventional outlet and cover. You may need to think it out if it's an outside wall (with insulation and perhaps less that 3 1/2 inches deep). My box will actually be under the fridge.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 01:50 AM   #4
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
What you have "found" is the inside junction box. The white flat cable with the black, white and bare is normal household wireing. The round black cable with the black white and green wire is a cable called "SJ"... it's the flexible cable on the slide mechanism.

First, the box looks pretty shallow... you need to ensure you have enough depth to accept a normal duplex receptical and that the holes line up, they should.

Buy a slim line duplex at the Depot. On the sides are some screws. Cut off the connector and attach the black wires to the gold screws, the duplex has a link so it replaces the connector you cut off. Cut off the white and attach the wires to the silver screws.

Don't cut the bare...Loop the bare wire around the green screw located near the end of the duplex.

Now re assemble. If you have more wire then space, they do sell a box extension that fits inside the room. I have one around the GFI in the bathroom. You might try that.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 01:54 AM   #5
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Looking again at your photos, the connections appear to be made with wire nuts... don't cut anything ... just unscrew them. Power off of course!!!
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 01:04 PM   #6
Montana_1794
Established Member

M.O.C. #1794
Hi Gruffy -

Am looking for an slim line duplex electrical receptacle (as you suggested) with a box extensions that fits inside the room. The wall is to thin for a regular receptacle. Went to Lowes' and Home Depot and was unable to locate one. Any other ideas where to look???
Montana_1794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 02:16 PM   #7
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Try True Value Hardware. They have them here.
gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 03:55 AM   #8
Mike and Wendy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1148
Yes you can put electric in the basement.I've put two boxes in the basement and one in the front compartment. Make sure you use ground fault outlets. I also put a switch with it so i don't have to always unplug my awning lights. I will be at the ralley or I think I have pictures of what I've done.
Mike and Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 09:49 AM   #9
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I switched my outside receptacle since it was easily accessable under the kitchen cabinets.

I also added 2 more (1 in the storage compartment and one in the front compartment). I drilled a hole and fished a wire down the wall in the w/d closet and stole power from there. A piece of cake.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote