Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North America MOC / Western Region
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Awww .......Nuts !

Tow vehicle electrical problems will delay or maybe even cancel my Q-site trip.

DW was already out of the trip as she had scheduled other things on each end of the dates, so I was going to come down all by my lonesome self. Yesterday we were out doing some errands and I got a "check gauges" light. My volt gauge was reading low, so I pulled in to a NAPA to get the charging system checked. 18.7 charging volts, and one battery was puking acid out the vents!

So I figure bad battery(ies) or alternator maybe. OBD-II reader says inconsistent power to ECU, not sure about that one.

We'll see what happens with a couple new batteries, maybe I'll get lucky and that will be all that is wrong.

So. if I get to Q, at the very least it will be late and will most likely not see most of the "prompt" people.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
KTManiac,
Sorry to hear of the possible delay or even cancellation. Hopefully the two new batteries will do the trick. Just before we left I had both mine replaced. I had one bad one but I always replace both. A couple of years ago I did the same thing but in a month or so both the new batteries were not working properly. Turned out I did have a bad alternator. Got that replaced and all was good again.

We hope you make the trip. Excellent weather and friends! So come on down.

Dennis and Mary Kay
Old 01-12-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Sounds like the regulator is gone, which is why the batteries are boiling themselves dry. I'd bet that the regulator is internal to the alternator, but it might be a replaceable module.

Bob
Old 01-13-2010, 05:57 AM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by firetrucker

Sounds like the regulator is gone, which is why the batteries are boiling themselves dry. I'd bet that the regulator is internal to the alternator, but it might be a replaceable module.

Bob
I agree to much voltage I second the regulator, I believe those are now in the alternator.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We hope you make it, many people are going to be here to the very end and possibly longer...pop me an email and I should know the status of the group.
Closed Thread