Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2009, 04:20 AM   #1
madeforeachother
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6748
Check out your spare tire!

I just had the universals replaced on my '03 Dodge 2500 P/U and asked the repairman why he had to remove the spare tire to make the repair. To my surprise, his reply was that he did no such thing and there was no tire or rim there when he put the truck up on the lift. I have no clue as to where or when this tire was stolen because the thief lowered the cable, removed the tire and raised the cable so it wouldn't be noticed. Thank God I never needed the spare while towing or just driving the truck. After purchasing a new tire and rim I also bought and installed a lock system through it all to prevent this from happening again and have made it a habit to just look under the truck once in a while. I hope this helps someone before they get stuck on the side of the road.

madeforeachother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:28 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Not only the tow vehicle, but check the trailer as well. It's a good idea to crawl under both and check their air pressure from time to time too!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:11 AM   #3
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
I include my spare in my truck tire rotation...I rotate all seven.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
hi ford trucks were loosing thier spares because the cable was rotting on them. ford had a recall on them for a while check to see if this mite be the case. just a thought
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
madeforeachother
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6748
My situation was definitely a theft because the cable and attached bracket were still there dangeling, but up close to the winch. I already have a Pressure Pro air monitoring system but only on the truck and trailer's running tires. Not only did I add the locks to the spares on the truck and trailer, I'm going to order two more sensors and program them into the control panel. This way I'll know right away if and where the tires are missing because before I hit any road I check to see if the pressures are okay and if one is missing the control panel will just show a dash instead of the tire pressure and alert me to do a physical check. The worst case senario would be that the stolen spare is within the control panel's alloted radius and would show the pressure. I really do a road check on both of the vehicles anyway, especially the torque on the trailer rims before I put them in motion. The replacement of the truck rim and new tire was quite pricy and I will do anything to prevent this from happening again but if a thief really wants it, they'll get it even if it means stealing the truck and trailer together and strip it somewhere else! I hope this hasn't happened to many MOC'ers.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Thanks for reminding me about the spares. Yesterday, I aired up all the tires and checked them against the pressure pro.....the spare on the trailer was down 40 psi!!!

The only concern I would have about monitoring the spares on the pressure pro is that if they do steal the tire, the wheel, and they also get the $50 transmitter!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
What lock systems are available?
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KathyandDave

What lock systems are available?
A chain and padlock.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:14 AM   #9
madeforeachother
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6748
The chain and lock are fine but get a lock with a protective cover where the key enters. Years ago I did the master lock and chain on the spare only because of living in New York City. When I got a flat on the truck in Chicago and went to remove the spare the lock was corroded with years of salt and gunk and I had to use a hack saw to the chain to release the spare.This time I used the coated cable that's used on bikes and covered the keyhole with duct tape.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #10
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Thanks for the enlightenment. I checked this evening, just to be sure the spare is still there! On a different, but related note, it was Kathy's idea to leave the spare inflated above the pressure set for the maximum pressure for the duallies or front wheels. When I have to use it, I can let air out, but I can't put it back in!
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:46 AM   #11
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
I ordered my GM with the lock on the opening to the tube where you put in the rod to lower your tire. It is keyed to my ignition key. I expect it is a simple retrofit on GM's that offered this option. I know there are some other after market kits that have cam lock keys which can be covered to keep out dirt etc. I suppose someone with a set of bolt cutters could still get the tire off but he/she would have to work at it.
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:55 AM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
As for locking I have had both, the factory and cable and lock. They will work to keep the honest, honest. But another help I guess is the fact that the Truck manufactors are changing the size more often. In the past you could buy take off tires cheap but not anymore. As for Air the spare should alway be above the normal rating, unless you have a onboard Air compressor. My Truck has a on board Air compressor and I keep a 50' hose on board also. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:47 PM   #13
madeforeachother
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6748
We also bought a 12-volt compressor in Seattle before going to Alaska. It takes awhile to get a tire up to pressure but it has worked well for us a couple of time on slow leaks and such. Getting the tire sensors to seal tight is tricky and time consuming but what the heck- I have plenty of time. It sure would be nice to have a high output compressor on the engine. I have an '03 Dodge w/cummins and don't think that Dodge offered that option back then. Maybe my next truck but this one has 194,000 miles on it and it works very well ( knock on wood )
Old 09-22-2009, 03:02 AM   #14
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
A slow compressor beats no compressor!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #15
dondrasmith
Established Member

M.O.C. #9615
We just purchased a 2010 Mountaineer. We picked it up weekend before last and camped in the area also. My husband happened to check the spare under our new 5th wheel the next morning and it was completely flat. During PDI, we only looked under and were shown how to crank it down.
dondrasmith is offline   Reply With Quote