Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I.C.E. on Your Cell Phone

This may have been published before but I feel it would not hurt to resurface it again

I.C.E. on Your Cell Phone

Apparently this is a standard procedure all paramedics follow at the scene of an accident when they come across your cell phone.

ICE - 'In Case of Emergency'
We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory but nobody, other than ourselves, knows which of these numbers belong to ourclosest family or friends.

If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people
attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call. Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person "in case of an emergency"? Hence this 'ICE' (In Case of Emergency) Campaign The concept of 'ICE' is catching on quickly. It is a method of contact during emergency situations. As cell(mobile) phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name 'ICE' (In Case Of Emergency).
The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to the scenes of accidents, there were always mobile phones with patients, but they didn't know which number to call. He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognized name for this purpose. In an emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and hospital Staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialing the number you
have stored as 'ICE.'
For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3 etc. A great idea that will make a difference!
Let's spread the concept of ICE by storing an ICE number in our Mobile
phones today!
Please forward this. It won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this. It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest. ICE will speak for you when you are not able to.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
John, thanks for posting this. Have heard about it and will update my contacts tonight.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:21 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I have 3- I.C.E. contacts in my cell.
They are listed as..
ICE Lorraine Wife
ICE Dina Daughter
ICE Sherri Niece
This way they also know the relationship as well as the name.
If you use your spouse as an ICE contact you should also have a 2nd ICE in case your spouse is involved in the same accident. I listed my daughter for obivious reason and she lives in Penna. My niece lives here in Florida.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:15 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I programmed several ICE numbers in my phone, my DW's phone, my mother in law's phone and I told my son and daughter to put it in theirs (but don't know that they ever did).
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:21 AM   #5
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
My phone has ICE NOK Wife Bea to indicate that this contact has "Next of Kin" standing should I need surgery etc.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:34 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I put ICE on Ed's phone and when I called him, he didn't answer because it said ICE was calling and he didn't know who ICE was. LOL Guess I need to add a name to the ICE!
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:26 AM   #7
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Thanks John, modified my ICE information.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
It's a good thing to do. Our son is an EMT/Firefighter and our daughter is pre-nursing. They made us do it quite awhile back. I have in my cell phone:
ICE Husband Doug
ICE Son Charlie
ICE Daughter Kelly
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #9
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
John,
Excellent info.
I'm updating my phone book now!
John S.
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #10
db_engineer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9068
Our new LG phones from Verizon came with "In Case of Emergency" as the top entry in the contacts list. It has slots to enter 3 contacts and three notes such as drug allergies, medical conditions, etc. According to the owner's manual these can be dialed even if the keypad is pass code protected. I think this is going to become more prevalent on newer phones.
db_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #11
JLeach
Established Member

M.O.C. #8145
What a great idea! I'll be adding ICE contacts to our phones.
JLeach is offline   Reply With Quote