Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2008, 11:58 AM   #41
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KathyandDave

In Ontario, the weight of the combination is carried on the permit of the TV and the rules for commercial vehicles pertain if the combination is used for business purposes (e.g., a landscaping company towing a trailer of equipment). Since the trailer is not used for business purposes, the weight of the Monty is not considered, which substantially reduces the permit fee and the headaches that come with a commercial permit.
I wish that were true! As I read the Ontario regulations, there is no exemption from the RGW for non-commercial use. This what is on the MTO web site:

Determining Registered Gross Weights for Trucks Towing Recreational and Light Duty Trailers

The registered gross weight (RGW) determines the fee paid for truck licence plates. The truck's RGW is based on, and must be at least equal to the actual weight of the truck, or truck and trailer(s) and load(s). A trailer permit does not have a RGW. Generally the weight of a towed trailer(s) and its load are added to the RGW of the truck. Load includes the driver, passengers, fuel, equipment, tools, cargo, equipment, etc. carried in the truck and trailer.

The RGW is indicated on the right portion (plate portion) of a truck's ownership, to the right of "REG. GROSS WT" and is in kilograms (kg). One kilogram equals 2.204 pounds and one pound equals .4536 (kg).

"Truck" includes pickups and business type vans with truck licence plates. Farm plated trucks are subject to the same RGW rules.

The "Vehicle Permits Regulation", made under the Highway Traffic Act, provides an exemption for light trailers, specifically;

"where a trailer transmits to the highway a total weight of 2,800 kilograms (6,173 lb.) or less, that weight shall not be included in determining registered gross weight".

If you know where there is a RGW exemption for non-commercial use, I would love to know about it. There are exemptions from a number of other regs that apply to commercial vehicles, but I don't know of anything that gets you out of paying the full rate for the RGW of you truck and trailer combinationl

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #42
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
There is NO EXEMPTION aas far as licence fee goes. The licence fee for my truck was $74.00 up until I increased the RGW of my truck to accomodate the new trailer.....It will cost me approx $74. for the permit and I think about about $180. for the extra weight of 1500 kg(3000 to 4500).....I only increased it in the spring and it expires in Dec so I cant give you the precise amount...
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:34 PM   #43
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
OntMont's comments are logical and agree with the RV guide published by the MTO. However, when I renewed my permit a month ago, the clerks thought that I didn't have to combine the trailer with the TV, even though I expressed OntMont's logic. They undertook to look into it, as did I, and we agreed that I would return to complete the process. In the end, they broadly interpreted the definition of "motorhome", an exclusion under the CVOR (Commercial Vehicle Operator Registration) rules, to include an RV trailer. I thought that I had gone to heaven (a bit early), but now I'm not so sure. What if an MTO cop doesn't agree? I don't have a ruling in writing and the cop could pull us off the road for improper registration.
Revised: The logic is that, if it's not covered under CVOR, then the MTO police have no jurisdiction.
Revised again: OK, I found the original reference that relieves me from the jurisdiction of the CVOR. It's in the MTO RV Guide, page 11 of 12. Pickups that weigh over 4,500 kgs and...are only ever used to tow personal use trailers, including house and camper trailers are exmpt from the requirements to have a (CVOR) certificate...BUT, on page 10, the same guide clarifies that house trailer weight is not used when determining a truck's actual weight (which governs annual safety inspections) but is used to determine the truck's RGW. I think I'd better go back and get my permit revised to 11,000kg and carry a copy of the RV Guide in the TV when traveling.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:16 PM   #44
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
That will be the way to go.....Its the same way I am doing it....The MTO also has a sheet out that explains how to weigh the trailer in determining whether or not you need an "A" licence.......it explains that the weight of the rv will be taken with the rv attached to the truck.......which effectively spreads the weight over the entire rig..and in my case confirms I only need a "G" licence.....but then it also emphasizes that my truck must be licenced to haul that weight...The folks at the licencing office will not put their opinions in print to help you...If you do a search on this forum you will find that we(Ontmont/myself/Bill and Ann) have hashed this out about 6 months ago..
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote