Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2006, 09:27 AM   #1
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Off the Interstates - US 64.

Has anyone any knowledge of US 64 across western Tennessee from I-65 to Memphis?

Thanks for any info.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:05 PM   #2
powerstroke73
Established Member

M.O.C. #4515
I have some. What kind of info are you looking for.I live in Memphis and have travled 64 quite a bit. (Not always to I65 though)
powerstroke73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:07 PM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
We have made that journey across Southern Tennessee several times. We have camped near the intersection of I-65 and US 64 (Pulaski). The park used to be a KOA, but is now private. I don't remember any difficulty with the roads. My Williamson ancestors came from Giles County (Pulaski, county seat). On the other hand, we have also made the I-40 trip many times and have not found any problems there. We camped in the Memphis East KOA in September '05 while attending homecoming at Dancyville, TN where my Coppedge and Armstrong ansestors came from.

I know you didn't ask about my family history, but when speaking about this part of the country, I sometimes get started.

If you decide to get off I-30 and come on down through the best part of Texas, give us a call. We are on US 259 about 25 miles north of I-20.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:47 PM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by powerstroke73

I have some. What kind of info are you looking for.I live in Memphis and have travled 64 quite a bit. (Not always to I65 though)
We have our trailer in temporary storage nears Cornersville, TN (I-65 exit 27). We want to pick it up from there and head to the Rio Grande Valley, mostly by way of US 79. To get to 79, we have to get through Memphis, and 64 seemed like a possible alternate to going back up to Nashville and picking up I-40 from there. (also considering US 412). I am mostly interested in knowing if these are good roads to travel with a Montana behind, e.g. any major hills, tight corners, low bridges, etc. I know I-40 is a pretty good interstate, and would take it if that is the better way to go. I guess the bottom line really is which route will be quicker?

Padre David, thanks for the invite, would love to come through your part of Texas too, perhaps in the Spring when the wildflowers are out? ...and maybe, for once, we won't be rushing to get somewhere.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:49 PM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Well, OntMont, if you follow US 79 you will surely be coming though my part of Texas. I am NOT familiar with 79 up though Arkansas, but it looks a bit out of the way to me. My route has always been I-30 from Little Rock (some nice campgrounds near Hot Springs) then pick up US 59 at Texarkana. This route will intersect with US 79 at Carthage, Texas. Carthage and Henderson are just about an hour south of where we live. I was a pastor in Henderson for 7 years and served in conference positions in Palestine for a total of 13 years. So that part of 79 I am very familiar with, all the way down to near Austin. It is certainly the way I would personally choose to go to Austin and pick up routes south to the Valley. Just my opinions, of course.

The Tennessee portion of your route should be ideal from your starting point. Your starting point is right next door to Giles County, and I have traveled with our Montana over most of that route to Memphis.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by padredw

The Tennessee portion of your route should be ideal from your starting point. Your starting point is right next door to Giles County, and I have traveled with our Montana over most of that route to Memphis.[/size=3][/font=Comic Sans MS]
Thanks, still packing but hope to hit the road tomorrow. Hope the fires keep away from your area. You could sure use our weather right now (for a little while anyway).
Old 01-04-2006, 10:10 PM   #7
JLBOZ60
Montana Master

M.O.C. #826
John & Donna drive safely and we look forward to seeing you in the RGV. We couldn't wait to get away from Cleveland and the cold snowy weather in Dec. We head to Mission today as will others. Safe travels to all. Marge
JLBOZ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:43 AM   #8
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
We will be pulling out in a couple of hours, on the way to Georgia, but I'd like to make a correction, not so much just for OntMont, but for anyone moving along this way. The route I mentioned from Texarkana will work. It came to mind because I was thinking of where US 59 picked up US 79 (Carthage, Texas). The route I would actually use would be to turn at Linden, Texas on TEXAS 155 and go all the way to Palestine on that highway, and THEN pick up US 79 on toward the Southwest.

I doubt if anyone would change routes based on these observations, but I have driven these highways hundreds of times, and realized I had not mentioned a better alternative.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:19 PM   #9
powerstroke73
Established Member

M.O.C. #4515
Ontmont if you are wanting to make time I would take 65 back to nashville than 40 across. Hwy 64 is a very nice road to take if not in a hurry, lots of small towns, great places to vist and stop eat shop and sightsee. I hope I got this posted in time before you leave, I had to go to the DR. IM going to have to have back surgery, finding out all the fun details. Hope this helps you.
powerstroke73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:48 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
John and Donna, you're probably on the way by now. Safe driving and we'll see you in a few days.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote