Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2004, 07:46 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Satellite service

Has anyone tried a satellite service for a combination of digital phone, high speed internet, and TV in one package? If so, with what company and what might be the cost. I have been using Roadrunner cable service for two years and am very spoiled for speed, but you can't drag a cable around if you are fulltiming.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 08:11 PM   #2
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I would suggest Motosat.com Their system is automatic but very expensive. About 5K to buy and about 1K to install and at least 100 @ month subscription for their internet connection. I believe tv is extra. Have fun. Happyrving...../
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 05:09 AM   #3
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
Our daughter has a Moto-sat system on her MH Works very well. Our system is not auto. and has no TV. Takes a course in installation to get it. Not cheap but less than an automatic. We pay $50 for internet and use our old Sat. system for TV. Our daughter pays $98 for internet plus TV. I think there is a cheaper internet charge but space is limited and as she has a very active web page she took the larger package. Moto-sat must have a web page you could visit. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 10:54 AM   #4
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
No matter what u get u need to make sure that there is not blockage, meaning trees and buildings. What a shame.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 03:33 PM   #5
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Here are a couple of links with information on the current 2-way Satellite, TV Programming and Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) offerings. The systems work pretty well as I understand it, but tend to be a little pricey.

http://www.datastorm.com/
http://www.mobileinternet.bz/
http://www.internetanywhere.us/pages/883501/index.htm

Here are some links to companies that are entering this market. Their satellite is in orbit and the service should turn on in the late forth quarter or early first quarter. The pricing should be lower with better bandwidth (Advertised as comparable in price and speed to Cable or DSL modem connections.)

http://www.wildblue.com/
http://www.thedatabahn.com/

I'm going to let the market shake out a bit before I take the plunge.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 11:02 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Yes, I can use my TV sat. to download from the internet, and my cell phone to go the other way. This is all based on services supplied by Ma Bell (aka Bell Canada): Bell ExpressVu satellite TV, which can include DirecPC satellite connection from the internet, Bell Mobility Cell phone service, and Bell Sympatico as ISP. Kind of complicated, but it will work, and costs much less than installed systems like Motosat. I am not sure who supplies equivalent service in the US, but I would check with the big cell suppliers like Sprint.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 02:21 PM   #7
Montana_251
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #251
Ive had my Datastorm since April 15th. It works great.
Montana_251 is offline   Reply With Quote