Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2005, 11:30 AM   #1
Montana_1974

M.O.C. #1974
Curtains - Bottom brackets

We have a 2004, 3295RK that will be a year old the end of April. We have broken (plastic ones) or bent/tore-out-of-wall (metal ones) the bottom curtain brackets around the kitchen table & the side window brackets next to the bed.

We broke two plastic & ripped a metal one out the second trip out.

Montana has to come up with something better. We've decided to remove the remaining brackets & maybe try to use Velcro or just let them hang free.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Montana_1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:51 AM   #2
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
We broke the ones in out fiver by the bed, cheapy little plastic hold-downs,keystone replaced with no questions but we found some nice velcro kits at target,replaced those plastic ones cause the next time I roll in bed,pop,it will break.This way you can hold them in place or just ley them hang.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 12:32 PM   #3
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
I broke the one beside the bed first trip out. Velcro sounds like a good fix.
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 12:42 PM   #4
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Eric & Pat,
We have also broken the ones beside the bed. Mostly because there is no room between the bed and wall beside the windows. I think this will be solved with the 2005 units that have been arranged to accomodate a King Bed...if you opt for only a Queen Bed in the new models there would be additional clearance between the bed and window dressings. I must say we did buy two new brackets, but I have not installed them yet. Figure the first time we make the bed we will just break them again. I agree Keystone needs a better design. I have been trying to decide what I want to do to those curtains. Don't want to take the hanging panels down because they hide the cords for the shades. I have been looking around for a solution and will let you know if I come up with anything creative that will not distract from the appearance. Maybe we will get some tips from others on a solution. Steve could you elaborate a little on your solution? Where did you put the velcro? Did you leave the current brackets in the bottom hem and velcro the bracket to the wall or did you make a tie back like the other window curtains have and use velcro?
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:06 PM   #5
Montana_1974

M.O.C. #1974
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Joyce H

Eric & Pat,
We have also broken the ones beside the bed. Mostly because there is no room between the bed and wall beside the windows. I think this will be solved with the 2005 units that have been arranged to accomodate a King Bed...if you opt for only a Queen Bed in the new models there would be additional clearance between the bed and window dressings. I must say we did buy two new brackets, but I have not installed them yet. Figure the first time we make the bed we will just break them again. I agree Keystone needs a better design. I have been trying to decide what I want to do to those curtains. Don't want to take the hanging panels down because they hide the cords for the shades. I have been looking around for a solution and will let you know if I come up with anything creative that will not distract from the appearance. Maybe we will get some tips from others on a solution. Steve could you elaborate a little on your solution? Where did you put the velcro? Did you leave the current brackets in the bottom hem and velcro the bracket to the wall or did you make a tie back like the other window curtains have and use velcro?
Thanks, we thought we were just a "klutz", good to know we aren't the only ones having the same problem.

We think we'll just let them hang for now as we're headed out this coming Fri. for Fort Bragg just North of San Francisco.
Montana_1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:27 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Have a good trip, Sark. We spent some time near Willits, on Seabiscuit's ranch, just up the road from Ft. Bragg and drove down to the coast one day. Beautiful area. I lived in Willits as a toddler. We also spent some time this past spring in your area, in El Cajon, at the Circle RV Park. Vicki has family in Chula Vista, we used to live in Chula Vista and Poway, and our children were all born in Chula Vista.

Drive safe and have a fun trip.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 01:19 AM   #7
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Steve, Have been waiting for Vicki to jump on this thread and tell us how she has handled the bedroom curtain situation??
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 06:00 AM   #8
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Well Joyce, to be brutally honest I've never particularly cared for the bedroom window treatment. Steve likes it so I've just learned to not see them whenever I'm in the room. Like Steve said, the ones in the bed slide broke a long time ago and we've just left them that way ... we may try some velcro to keep them from flopping around, but that's probably all we'll do. And, with all the pillows I've put on the bed, those windows are not really noticeable anyway.

We put those same kind of curtain-holder-thingys on the windows that did have the tie-backs and we've had no problem with those ... really like how they look now. The only suggestion I would make to Sark to avoid breaking the curtain-holder-thingys on the big window by the table would be to raise the shades very gently and "roll" the shade handle under when pulling them down.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:54 AM   #9
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We havent broken one yet. Did notice that some are steel and some are plastic. Dont know why. I wish the window treatments had the cornice like look on the sides to instead of just on the top. That way you would have nothing to hold down.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:41 PM   #10
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Broke two - one on the bed window and one on the window over the dresser on our first trip. Keystone replaced with no problem. Infact, I got several for replacement but have all stored. I took all of the holders off including the little curtain panel - I figured I would just break them again with pillows or making the bed. We didn't have any in the living room area. I like the clean look but making new valances and a whole curtain over the dresser window - I really haven't decided on curtains for the bed windows though. I also wanted it to be darker in the bedroom so I covered the side windows with what I call craft foam cut to fit the window panes attaching with tacky glue to frame.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 07:47 PM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Ours are all metal and so far none have broken. We only have one window in the bedroom slide and have the little night shelf under the window so I think that protects the curtain holders. If we break some, I'll probably replace with Velcro and wood blocks. We had the solid cornices down the side of the windows in one of our other units and I didn't like them. Hard to recover when you need to. As I said once before, we are not going to change until things wear out, and then the Montana ones should be easy. My only dislike is trying to match the color of mine. They are deep, deep purple-burgundy trimmed in beige.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:07 PM   #12
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
we have broken several. were to the point we just let them hang! I'd say if you don't want them to free hang, then I'd use velcrow.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote