Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2020, 09:08 PM   #21
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Saw 1 long ago where a 3/4 Suburban was pulling a 5er. All together too much weight, owner said the TV struggled. A mistake all around he said. All I could see was an impossible back up and fewer pull thru sites long enough.

He certainly does not like the 3.55 gears in my 2019 F350 DRW.

CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:29 PM   #22
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I've been in many rv parks where this would not fit and you could forget about back-in spots. The only people that could use this is those that don't have a tow vehicle that is safely able to tow with because of weight restrictions. For less than the price of one of these you could buy a one ton dually over a 3/4 ton if you were buying new. I can't see much niche for one of these.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:49 AM   #23
JAWs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21771
Can't back it!
JAWs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:18 AM   #24
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
As for as backing with one, the device (as I understand it) is rigidly attached to the rear of the tow vehicle and has steer wheels that turn as the tow vehicle turns. It is not simply connected to a ball hitch like a trailer. As such, backing a trailer attached to it is much like backing a trailer attached to the back of the tow vehicle, just a few feet farther back. So backing should not be much different, except for the extra length to get used to. And going forward, it would cause the trailer to swing wider in a sharp turn theoretically making tight turns easier.

Still, I can see very little practical use for one except for very special circumstances. And I don't think using one to boost the tow capacity of an under rated tow vehicle is a qualifying "special circumstance".
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:50 AM   #25
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
If you've ever watched the movie, "The Long, Long Trailer" with Lucy Ball and Desi Arnaz, they used one of these tow dollies to tow their trailer. (although theirs was a support wheel under the frame). The concept is the same. They've been around a long time. Different sources keep re-inventing them. How well they work? well, ??? I've never know anyone that actually used one.

Double tow semi-truck, like UPS and such, used something similar under the second trailer. When it's attached, it looks like a 4 wheeled wagon. But it's actually a 5er dolly.

One thing to consider also, some states might consider this "double towing". In Indiana double towing is allowed, so it would work here, but not sure if it would pass the gravy somewhere else?

And if I used one in Indiana, with my current 5er and my current tow vehicle, I'd be way over-length for my state requirements.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:17 PM   #26
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I don’t know if it was this brand or another, but someone posted a link to a video of one of these in action some long time ago. I think it was connected to the truck with a 3 point rigid connection. It was not towed by a ball hitch. Being rigidly attached it wouldn’t seem to be considered a trailer. But who knows how any given authority is going to classify it.

Going forward or backing it was no different than a bumper hitch except for being a few feet behind the truck.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:48 PM   #27
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
I think it was connected to the truck with a 3 point rigid connection. It was not towed by a ball hitch. Being rigidly attached it wouldn’t seem to be considered a trailer. But who knows how any given authority is going to classify it.

I read in their documentation that because of the rigid connection to the TV that it's considered a drop axle and therefore not counted as a towable.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:47 PM   #28
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
And if you travel any of the Toll Roads, it's another Axle to charge you for.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:42 AM   #29
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
We camp in Nellis AirForce and I see one, I got to talk to him about it and he seem to like it.
Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote