Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2006, 01:38 PM   #1
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
DISH-Local channels NO MORE

We have been loyal DSIH network users for years.
Now that we are full timimg and have put a Wineguard Dish on the roof.
They are going to pull all the capabilities to get ASC< NBC< CBS and FOX.
We have filled out the RV waiver and it is good until 12/1.
So now we are in Yuma AZ I called last night to get local channels and YUMA is in no-mans land and I can not get any local channels.
So with the investment in the auto roof dish was not a good deal.
I hope they get this thing straighten out

carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:14 PM   #2
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
We can thank the cable companies for this! They do not like the competition.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:33 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
DirecTV won their litigation and still permit the E-W broadcast channels. We were warned about Dish several months (years) ago when this was all in litigation. Dish lost.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:59 PM   #4
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
So I guess by what I read here it's time to dump dish and look into direct tv. hmmm looks like direct could start jacking up there rates if there is nobody to compete with. whats next ?
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:05 PM   #5
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Ok, you all have me confused. We have direct TV at our stick house and we have to pay a separate fee for the local channels. We were thinking about buying a dish and taking the bedroom receiver with us when we travel. Are you saying that Direct TV is better than Dish Network and Hughes Direct?

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:18 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Driftwoodgal

Ok, you all have me confused. We have direct TV at our stick house and we have to pay a separate fee for the local channels. We were thinking about buying a dish and taking the bedroom receiver with us when we travel. Are you saying that Direct TV is better than Dish Network and Hughes Direct?

Colleen
I don't know anything about Hughes Direct. As far as picture quality between Dish and Direct, they are comparable. I've never noticed any difference. That said, if you have the local channels, you are paying for them--how much I don't know, but I think it is around $1.50/month per network. I could be wrong. We get the E-W network channels (with the RV waiver) and we pay $4.50/month for the three networks.

The problem with Dish network goes way back when there were rumblings about Dish and Direct merging and I guess Direct saw what Dish was doing and decided not to merge. It was then that all the litigation was going on. Direct won their case and Dish lost.

Several on this forum tried to warn their fellow MOCers about it a few months back.

No, I don't believe Direct will up their prices because they have to compete with the cable companies. With Direct/Dish, during electrical storms you lose your signal--not so with cable. So they will still have competition.

Orv
Old 11-18-2006, 03:45 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Perhaps it differs market to market .We have Directtv "Total Choice" package and the local channels are included in that package.It is true that you can lose signal during bad Weather.Some of that can be remedied by using a larger dish. With cable the signal gets to your house by cable but the cable companies still get the signal via Sat so you can still lose signal in bad weather. Drive by your local cable TV company....they use ...bigggggg dishes...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 05:54 PM   #8
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trukdoc

We can thank the cable companies for this! They do not like the competition.
I think you can thank the over the air broadcasters for sarting this many many years before these mini dishes popped up.

I used to get my network programming from a NBC station via sattelite other than the local broadcaster and that was not conducive to their business. Then congress stepped in and provided aid to the local broadcaster by making it very difficult to receive a network signal if there was an over the air alternative.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 06:19 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I think Hughes is only Internet access. Am I wrong? Like Rich we have Direct. Local channels included in our Total Choice Plus. We only pay extra for the second receiver. So far we have had no problems taking our receivers from the stick house to the Monty and have picked up the main channels (ABC, CBS, NBC) even in AZ. When we go full time we may have to change but I can use my daughter's address. She gets the East Coast feed that she ordered years ago but I tried several months ago and couldn't get them. I think this is like the changes Keystone does, you never know when and what.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 12:05 AM   #10
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
We used to take the direct TV box with us when we travelled, and found it worked ok, as long as there were no trees in the way. I have been going to the Hershey antique car show for years, and it was nice to have the local channels. All of a sudden, several years back, we couldn't get them any more. I was told that if you leave your local area, you lose the local channels also. I don't know why, but we've never received them since in PA.
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 02:09 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RJI47

We used to take the direct TV box with us when we travelled, and found it worked ok, as long as there were no trees in the way. I have been going to the Hershey antique car show for years, and it was nice to have the local channels. All of a sudden, several years back, we couldn't get them any more. I was told that if you leave your local area, you lose the local channels also. I don't know why, but we've never received them since in PA.
You lose your LOCAL channels when you are out of the local area. DirecTV spot beams the local channels to your zip code. Before they started doing this (about 4 years ago) it was nice to be able to watch the Iowa Hawkeyes basketball games when we were in CA. When they started spot beaming we subscribed to the E-W broadcast channels ($1.50/channel-ABC, CBS, NBC). We wouldn't have had to do this because in most places we can receive broadcast channels locally with our rig's antenna. But the advantage we have with the E-W channels via DirecTV is that we can watch prime time broadcasts early when we're in CA and if we miss something we really want to watch, we can watch it at the regular time in CA. It's kind of like having your cake and eating it too.
Hope this helps a little to understand why you lost your local channels when away from home.

Orv
Old 11-19-2006, 03:38 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
http://www.tivofan.com/directv/channels.html This will help answer questions re: DirectTV. When you are in a area that uses the transponder related to your spot beam you can get your local chanels, If your channels are under the national beam you can get them most anywhere. We are channels 921 to 933 Transponder 4 and can receive our local channels(here is where the zip code comes in) in the indicated areas.. If you are in a city or purchase your service in a city that is listed under "National beam" you will get the east or west coast feeds and not pay extra for them..tricky..yes...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:34 AM   #13
Dont
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6371
Send a message via MSN to Dont Send a message via Yahoo to Dont
Hi I was told by Direct Tv all I would have to do when I get to Apache Junction Az was to call them and give them our address for the winter and would change our listing for local channl from Iowa to Apache Junction local Ch. hope this help.
Dont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:52 AM   #14
Dont
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6371
Hey Rich how do you get those ch in the 900 area?
Old 11-19-2006, 07:08 AM   #15
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We used to have DishNetwork but changed recently to DirectTV. It costs more for their packages. We had the East coast feeds with Dish but have been turned down even with our RV waiver for Direct UNLESS we have 2 different packages with them and turn them on and off as we travel. It sounds like a way to get more money to me. Also, we have HD package with Direct and for $10 a month we get about 6 channels in HD. Our local channels are broadcast in HD but Direct has not yet set them up for that. We tried to get the west coast channels with HD and they turned us down. We are a bit miffed about being told we would have HD for the networks when we don't. Way back when we first had a satellite in our back field - the big one - we even got backfeeds for movies and programs. That was the good old days! They charge more and more and you are getting less and less especially in the quality of what we are paying for.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:03 AM   #16
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Toolmanroy,
I guess I don't quite understand why DirecTV wants you to buy extra packages. We have the Total Choice package with the RV waiver which we obtained right after they came out with the rule that you had to have the RV waiver in order to get the E-W channels. Have you communicated directly with DirecTV Customer Service about this?

Orv
Old 11-19-2006, 09:58 AM   #17
Dont
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6371
what is the RV waiver from Direct TV they haven;t said any thing to me about it.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:42 AM   #18
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

You lose your LOCAL channels when you are out of the local area. DirecTV spot beams the local channels to your zip code.
Orv
I'm not sure that this cluster of 6 satellites can direct their broadcast footprint to such a localized area. In my line of work we have systems that strive to jam satellite signals but its be reasonable to assume that there are not enough emitters to focus the RF energy to specific broadcast areas.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:58 AM   #19
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I think if you query DirecTV you'll find that they spot beam to localized areas. For example, my zip code is in the Houston area and I have access to all the Houston channels, if I want them. The reason I don't want them is because I can only view them when I'm in or near my zip code! That's just the way it is. There are a lot of things in technology that I'm not up on. I've been retired from the electronics business for a number of years but I do know what DirecTV is doing.

Orv
Old 11-19-2006, 11:01 AM   #20
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dont

what is the RV waiver from Direct TV they haven;t said any thing to me about it.
Go to http://directvdnseligibility.decisio...dressForm.aspx and follow the links.

Orv