Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2022, 12:01 PM   #1
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
6.7 Ford CP4 Bypass Kit

Did the install in NY about a month before heading to our winter spot in the SW. Started in the late afternoon and finished it up the next day. Involved but not too difficult. Lots of how to video's on YouTube. Very clean professional kit.

Truck performed flawlessly even pulling long steep grades into Salt Lake, Donner and even a trip up CA 120 into Yosemite.

These are the videos that convinced me.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3121.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	13569   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3122.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	13570  

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 07:34 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm a firm believer in this mod as well. I went with the S&S kit when it had the clear return line filter bowl ... pretty easy install for me too. The bad part is having to take both plastic and aluminum intake manifold pieces off the top of the engine to get to the metering valve down in the valley between the heads. This mod really doesn't affect performance ... just saves money should a failure occur. Just for others info ... this will keep the debris out of the rest of your fuel system including your fuel tank should your CP4 fail ... it will not prevent the actual high pressure fuel pump failure.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 10:57 AM   #3
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I'm a firm believer in this mod as well. I went with the S&S kit when it had the clear return line filter bowl ... pretty easy install for me too. The bad part is having to take both plastic and aluminum intake manifold pieces off the top of the engine to get to the metering valve down in the valley between the heads. This mod really doesn't affect performance ... just saves money should a failure occur. Just for others info ... this will keep the debris out of the rest of your fuel system including your fuel tank should your CP4 fail ... it will not prevent the actual high pressure fuel pump failure.
I honestly would have liked the clear bowl myself as it would be comforting to keep an eye on things.

I only included the performance part in case anybody had read the post here:

https://www.powerstroke.org/threads/...s-kit.1380783/

Just had to add this video. Gotta love the head protection.

Posting this video for all of those still sitting on the fence:

Old 11-05-2022, 03:33 PM   #4
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Not much else you can do to prevent this other than use a diesel fuel lubricant like Opti-lube XL Xtreme lubrication which is what I use and double dose when towing like they suggest you do. But you need to know that this installed will void your engine warranty as you have modified the fuel system. This is what Ford told me. They said to wait for the warranty to run out before putting it on. Or roll the dice. Some people have been successful in having their insurance company pay for the repair (upwards to $16,000 dollars) Ford has a habit of blaming the failure on contaminated fuel so it`s not their fault.
I noticed Chrysler is replacing their CP-4 pumps under a recall wonder why Ford is not. I really hate the suspense of driving my truck out to the middle of nowhere and worry I`ll get stranded with a broken pump and have to pay just to get back on the road then argue who`s going to cover this.
I`ll wait and then put this on.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 03:41 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Wouldn’t this be easy to return to stock if you has a fuel system problem?
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 04:47 PM   #6
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Wouldn’t this be easy to return to stock if you has a fuel system problem?
Lynwood
I suppose that`s an option but on the side of the Interstate in the middle of Iowa with a 40 ft. fifth wheel on the back might present a problem.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 05:55 PM   #7
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
My decision making process.....

1. If there is any evidence of contamination they will deny the claim (see attachment).

2. Even if they do find it warrantable it could take a very, very, long time to get it fixed.

3. No matter what it'll lay down right where it is and we'll be on the hook for getting the Montana somewhere safe and livable (we're full timers).

4. Risk Ford denying coverage for non OEM parts and me being on the hook for just a pump which is only about $1,000.00 plus labor.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 16.34.52.png
Views:	16
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	13579  
Old 11-05-2022, 08:29 PM   #8
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
I miss the days of mechanical fuel pumps. Drove semi truck 13 years for 1.75M miles. Never once had a fuel pump problem. Shoot - back then almost never even heard of any drivers having fuel pump problems. I guess I'm just old fashioned though, as I miss the days of points and condensers for gas engines.....
I know - "new fangled whiz bang gizmos are more efficient!". They also wind up in the shop. SIL's semi just got out of the shop after 3 plus weeks due to the "new - better" stuff. Thankfully he and my daughter seem to have a good head for managing budgets. Otherwise I would have been bailing them out. The longest time one of my semi tractors was ever in the shop was for 5 days - for an engine overhaul due to age...
Sorry - rant over....
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 09:30 PM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Lynwood, putting this mod on is rather involved because you have to remove the entire intake manifold assemblies from the engine. Once I put it on, I'm not interested in ever taking it back off. As for the warranty issue, I'm with O'Donnell, dealing with Fords ifs, ands, or buts compared to spending around $1,000 of my own is much less heartache. The CP4 on 6.7s puts out up to 25k to 28k PSI to feed the injectors ... and in essence it is a mechanical 2 cyl pump.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 10:10 AM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Lynwood, putting this mod on is rather involved because you have to remove the entire intake manifold assemblies from the engine. Once I put it on, I'm not interested in ever taking it back off. As for the warranty issue, I'm with O'Donnell, dealing with Fords ifs, ands, or buts compared to spending around $1,000 of my own is much less heartache. The CP4 on 6.7s puts out up to 25k to 28k PSI to feed the injectors ... and in essence it is a mechanical 2 cyl pump.
Thanks.
The fuel pump on my 08 usually wont go over about 24500 pounds. I have an alarm set for 25500 pounds and have had it go off. Any pump capable of 25000 pounds is delicate and needs all the protection it can get. Abuse it at your own risk.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote