Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2022, 05:17 PM   #1
DCB
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22743
Smile Batteries for Dummies

Is there a simple, foolproof type of battery to buy and maintain for a 5th wheel? Due to family health issues, my trailer is only getting used once or twice a year for a few days each. I think I've ruined a good pair of 2-year-old Interstate lead-acid batteries by allowing them to drain completely, not realizing I had maybe a couple options available to me to keep that from happening, I only know about those options now because a recent acquaintance who is an RV mechanic was nice enough to come out to my storage location to help with a different matter.

I would like to get away from having to maintain battery water levels.

I would like to be able to park the trailer and not have to worry about the batteries. Is that possible?

I am capable of hooking up a trickle charger if I have to. BUT, is there a way to do so which doesn't require checking things every so often? It would be really great if there was a means of monitoring the system remotely, without having to visit the storage facility to see if the power's still on, if the charger is working, etc.

I believe I am now capable of disconnecting the batteries if I have to.

I do not want to have to remove the batteries from the trailer.

I live in Illinois, so cold winters are a reality.

We don't dry camp much/at all. We would possibly stop overnight at a Walmart or Cracker Barrel, but only if weather conditions are so ideal that we wouldn't have to use the HVAC. The couple of times we've tried it, the batteries have been insufficient to get us through the night.

What is the simplest, most foolproof, most reliable solution? TIA!!

DCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 05:34 PM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Add a simple battery disconnect on the ground OR remove the ground wire when not using it. Or, leave a Solar/shore trickle charger on it.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 06:16 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have several batterie maintenance changers I got from Interstate battery. They are Ctec. They have never boiled the water out of a battery and have never had a battery go bad while on one. My camper and truck like yours sets for months at a time. Ctec chargers are expensive about $90 and up but you get what you pay for.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 06:31 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The best solution for your situation, where you can't depend on the power in the storage facility and don't want to make trips to it to check, is to install AGM batteries (no maintenance, so no water level worries), and as Rames14 wrote, a disconnect switch on the negative terminal.

The batteries will hold their charge all winter assuming they are close to being fully charged when put away.

The disconnect switch stops the parasitic 12V drains. You could just disconnect/connect the negative cable but that gets old. A disconnect switch is easier and not expensive.

The AGMs eliminate checking water levels. Lead acid batteries will work in place of AGMs and shouldn't loose water in storage but still need to be checked once placed back into use.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 07:20 PM   #5
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
There is a battery disconnect in the water hook up area
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:58 PM   #6
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Concur with Carl.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:27 PM   #7
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Wed, No this isn't a disconnect. The things like propane detector and a few other things will still drain a battery in a few weeks. You must disconnect the battery itself.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 07:49 AM   #8
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
The 5er battery disconnect leaves a battery drain to the CO detector in kitchen.
Best solution is to get a battery disconnect switch at your local auto parts store. This is a positive battery disconnect without having to remove batteries. Works great for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1762CAA2-890F-4614-844A-6E9ED108A36F.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	13619  
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 05:25 PM   #9
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by wed View Post
There is a battery disconnect in the water hook up area
Yeah, that doesn't entirely disconnect the batteries from the loads.
The Propane detector and CO detector are hard wired into the batteries.
The best way is to disconnect the negative battery terminal.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 10:04 PM   #10
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
The switch works better for me. No wrenches to look for, just lift disconnect arm to disconnect, drop lever arm to reconnect.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:36 AM   #11
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I'm still using the same factory installed (or dealer installed) lead batteries after, over, 4 years now. I have NEVER added a single drop of water to the batteries. My camper has been plugged in 24x7x(almost 365)... The only exception is when actually driving on the road. My on-board converter keeps mine charged, never had an issue ... and did I mention ... I have never had to add a drop of water!

Sometimes, because of my good fortune, I just don't understand battery problems.

For the OP... owning an RV requires maintenance. It's like having kids. Kids are not just something you bring into the world and once they are here, you set them on a trophy shelf and that's it. They require 7x24x365 attention.

Your camper is a high profile maintenance item too. It cannot, nor will it NEVER be a "plug and play" item. Like kids, they demand 24 hour 365 days attention if you want to keep them nice. There's no short cut. When this becomes too much of a burden, then it's time to sell it (unlike your kids that you just "wish" you could send them off for adoption!)
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:38 AM   #12
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
The best solution for your situation, where you can't depend on the power in the storage facility and don't want to make trips to it to check, is to install AGM batteries (no maintenance, so no water level worries), and as Rames14 wrote, a disconnect switch on the negative terminal.

The batteries will hold their charge all winter assuming they are close to being fully charged when put away.

The disconnect switch stops the parasitic 12V drains. You could just disconnect/connect the negative cable but that gets old. A disconnect switch is easier and not expensive.

The AGMs eliminate checking water levels. Lead acid batteries will work in place of AGMs and shouldn't loose water in storage but still need to be checked once placed back into use.
I agree 100% but use caution buying the AGM's. Buy good quality and expect to pay a reasonable price for them. My next purchase along with a disconnect switch.
Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 05:31 AM   #13
SteveandMona

M.O.C. #32322
My recommendation is to replace lead-acid batteries with Lithium. A 100 amp-hour lead acid battery should only be discharged to 50%. This gives you 50 amp-hours of capacity. A good lithium battery can be discharged to 10%, some even lower. This gives you, effectively, 90 amp-hours of capacity. Also, the lithium batteries have a much longer life; as much as 10 years or more. You may pay more for the lithium batteries but over time you may end up spending the same but have twice the capacity.
2022 Montana High Country, 295RL, 200 watt solar, dual 100 amp lithium, 2019 RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins, retired Air Force
SteveandMona is offline   Reply With Quote