Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Extended Warranty on Used Truck?

I've never bought an extended warranty on a vehicle, so I have questions about it.
When I buy the 3500 GMC or Chevy dually, it will probably be a used one ($$$$$).
(1) If it has under 100k miles, I should get the remainder of the original warranty when I purchase, right?
(2) Should I get an extended warranty when I purchase the truck or should I wait until later?
(3) Should I get it from the dealer or some other company?
(4) Are there certain things I should ask to be included or are the contracts pretty much standard?
(5) If I should get it from another company are there some better than others and, if so, do you have recommendations?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I'm a newbie in this area.
Thanks for any inputs.
Larry

Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Larry,
My humble (no laughing) opinion is to take the cost of the extended warranty and put it into a good mechanical inspection.

I have a problem with a program that is pushed at me. People normally push something because they make money on it I do not.

Again just my opinion.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Also most folks dont know that the factory warranty only covers the internal parts of the engine for 100k miles nothing else on the truck is coverd that long.JMHO
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ford has a extended Warranty plan sponsored BY Fo Mo Co. I would guess GM has one also. I would check that out. Yes I would get one.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Checkout the company good. I purchased one on my wife's new Buick to extend the factory warranty beyond the 3 year 36K miles. The company has gone out of business and the dealership has closed therefore I am out the money. I would have been ahead if I had put that money in a CD and set it aside for repairs.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
When we bought our current Dodge it had 15 months of factory warranty left. We bought a policy with a $50 deductable for 5 more years. A new DPF filter is said to be around $5k. A transmission rebuild is over $3k. On some trucks a set of injectors cost more than an extended warranty. We don't usually buy an extended but this time we did. Also if we don't use it we get the money back at the end of the 5 years.

I don't have the name of the company with me as we are still on the factory warranty. Next year we will have to carry the papers with us.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Simply put: extended warranties are there for large firms to make a profit. These waranties are very detailed and only cover items that normally do not fail. Very expensive to get bumper to bumper coverage. Most manufactures now have excellent longer term warranties and you can get a history on a vehile to identify if there were any claims or problems during its time of use. To conclude and IMHO: I would not and do not buy extended warranties on vehicles.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
All the advice here is good, but John Kohl hit on a very important point. Take the truck to an experienced mechanic who can look for signs of abuse, pending issues or accident repairs. Don't trust Car Fax as it is only good if someone enters repair info, which does not always happen!

If you do decide to get an extended warranty, several people have been stung by 3rd party companies who either refused to pay or went belly up.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I bought one and then had second thoughts. Our truck had over 300,000 miles on it and they allowed me to purchase the warranty anyway. I chose to back out with-in the allotted time frame which I had. Fortunately I received my money back so I figured it may have been a legitimate Co.

The advice I received when I was thinking about the purchase was to make certain it was a Co. which issued an actual card to use. If they didn’t I was told it may be difficult to get them to pay with out a lot of red tape.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:38 AM   #10
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I bought a warranty when I bought my 2000 Ford DRW 1 ton, with 7.3 diesel power stroke in it. It had 59,000 miles on it when I purchased it from a private individual. I bought the warranty only for a piece of mind. Being used you have no idea, nor does a mechanic know what can happen down the road with these things. A good mechanic looking at it, is a very good thing to have done when you purchase, but he can't see all the possibilities that can happen. For $1800.00 I got 2 yrs or 24,000 miles. Kind of expensive yes, but one major problem such as injectors, turbo's on and on, major repairs are very costly, I just felt a little bit better about it. IMHO. On the other hand my 2 yrs is now up, and the only thing I used it for was a rear end seal. Could have fixed it myself for less than $10.00. Its a crap shoot for sure, its a personal choice thing, and its also a cash thing. What works for one doesn't always work for the other. Good luck on your new purchase.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:48 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Like Tom said, Car Fax is only as good as the info they get. Not sure where the mileage cutoff is, but I would try to go with GM's Majorguard plan. I'm thinking that they used to only offer it on used vehicles with up to 50,000 miles bought through a GM dealer. I just bought the extended bumper to bumper warranty on the 09 Chevy I purchased. Shortly after the warranty ran out on the 04 GMC we had, I had to replace part of the ignition switch; that repair alone would have almost paid for the warranty I just bought. Careful what you pay for it too, there are dealers that sell it online. BTW, on GM products diesel engines are warrantied for 100K miles; that includes external parts that make the engine run. Be very cautious of after market warranties. There is a company out of Missouri that has a retired NASCAR driver advertising for them. I have read lots of bad stuff on them.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:50 AM   #12
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Here is my 2 cents, #1 diesels can be a very expensive repair if needed and you cannot do the work yourself.
#2 I would only look at the extended factory warranty, it seems to me that a large percentage of outside firms do not last very long.
#3 It is your money and piece of mind that is most important. If you feel comfortable with an extended warranty,by all means get it. At least if your are traveling and have a breakdown you would be able to take it to any gm dealership for repairs and not have to worry about breaking the bank.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote