Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
rosstok
Established Member

M.O.C. #9664
Need for Exhaust Brake and Warranty issue

I'd be interested in hearing about the need and warranty experience for an exhaust brake on a 2009 F350 pulling a 3455 (15,560 GVWR). Some items to consider:

The Ford weighs in at around 9,000 lbs, so with a 23,500 GCWR, the max weight of loaded Monty is around 14,500.

Ford dealer told me: “It [Pacbrake exhaust brake] does not void any warranty with the truck as long as it is not the cause of any problems. If you have a problem with your truck and they trace it back to the exhaust brake, then we potentially have a problem, but this is very unlikely. I know this is not a straight black and white answer, but it is as close as I can get for you. Knowing that Ford is going to be offering a factory exhaust brake for 2011 on their diesels, I would imagine that they would be fairly relaxed on this matter.”

An owner of a F250 - 6.0 PSD w/4.10 rear end, towing SOB with a GVWR of 14,400 told me that he almost burned out his brakes coming down the grapevine (Interstate 5, north bound out of Los Angeles – 5.5 miles of 6-7% grade, included in 12 miles of 3-7% grade). He has no exhaust brake, and struggled to get the tow/haul mode to slow down and keep him slow. Having said that, he started the hill way too fast and didn’t want to go as slow as 35mph with the trucks.(we could get into a long dialogue about that technique…).

Thanks – As a newby fiver, I really appreciate all the great insights from you all – and look forward to getting to meet sometime.

Ross

rosstok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I put the Bank exhaust brake on my Chevy and love it. I come down the Grapevine regularly and have no problem. Never need any brakes to keep it at 55 and would slow it well below that if I didn't turn it off and on now and then.
I know mine trailer isn't as heavy as your, but I do tow double which adds to mine.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
About the only time an exhaust brake can cause a problem is if you use them to warm up in cold weather. Extended idleing with the brake on can cause soot to build up and cause problems.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
I also have a Banks brake on my Chevy. I have also driven the Grapevine many times and agree with mtheo.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hummmm..The Ford has the Tow Haul mode. We are over 23K GCWR with our 08 F-350 and 06 3400. We have been on some of the steepest and longest grades and not a problem with proper use of the TH mode.... I am not a expert but why would one need both the Jake and the TH???? I have been in caravan with a Dodge with the jake down some steep grades and did not run over him...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I also use the tow/haul on my F350. Never thought I would need the added expense of the exhaust brake. I had one on my Dodge with 6 speed standard transmission. Loved it for that.
I do wonder if the exhaust brake is effective with auto transmission. If in overdrive, there is no gear to work against??
I am waiting for the release of the 2011 F350.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by illapah

I also use the tow/haul on my F350. Never thought I would need the added expense of the exhaust brake. I had one on my Dodge with 6 speed standard transmission. Loved it for that.
I do wonder if the exhaust brake is effective with auto transmission. If in overdrive, there is no gear to work against??
I am waiting for the release of the 2011 F350.
Our Banks Exhaust Brake, when turned on, will prevent driving in overdrive. If you're in overdrive and turn the Exhaust Brake on, overdrive will kick off. I've had it on our F-250 auto transmission since 1992 and haven't been sorry. It sure helps going down hill or when attempting to begin a slow down.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have been up and down the Grapevine I-5 half a dozen or so times with my F-250 & Monty. I use the tow/haul mode and tap on the brake (actually mashing it for a few seconds to get the downshift to kick in, but it will kick in). I try not to start the downhill very fast to minimize the amount of braking and averaging about 50 MPH means I'll be passing up the slower trucks, but if I don't have to ride the brakes down and I can keep the RPMs are less than 3500 then I am okay with it. As I gain more experience doing this it does get easier.

An exhaust brake would be nice but I won't run out and buy one since I am learning how to use the T/H mode and in adding one, there are probably more mods I would be comfortable with to support it (like a tuner, exhaust mods and exhaust gauge). I don't remember the individual weights but my combo is about 22,000 lbs.

I am only puzzled about one thing. I am not aware that an F-250 gets anything BUT a 3.73 rear end for some recent model years, so I wonder what year it really was, that provided it. There may have been one but not necessarily with a 6.0L and an F-250. Can anyone confirm this? That diff was typically in a F-350 and up.

I think in your case an exhaust brake might be considered with your weight combination, but do you homework with its availability because if you have the Torqshift Tranny, it could be tough to find one that fits completely. The Ford dealers I've talked to don't offer one, but they have offered other mods like exhaust improvements, and certain brand dealer chips, but these are dealer specific and/or supported. Lots of investigation will probably be needed.

Good luck with this. Please, keep us posted on what you've been able to find out.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I can only say I’m very impressed with the T/H mode that is on our F-350. It seems to work just fine. I only wish I would have had this on my previous tow vehicles. I haven’t had any experience with the Jake-Brake at all.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
richard66
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5896
An Exhaust brake will add life to your sevice brakes and give you a more secure feeling on steep grades. I tow in T/H mode and use the exhaust brake all the time. I feel more in control with the exhaust brake. Ask an over the road trucker if he would like his exhaust brake disconnected. I would never tow without one.
richard66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by clutch

About the only time an exhaust brake can cause a problem is if you use them to warm up in cold weather. Extended idleing with the brake on can cause soot to build up and cause problems.
I have a 2009 6.7 and the new motor uses the exhost brake to help warm up the motor, and it also increeses the idel up to 1000 rpms in very cold weather it does not close it all the way just partly I noticed this and mentioned it to my dealer and that is the information I was given for that.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:55 AM   #12
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
I guess Chevy thinks an exhaust brake is an improvement, the new 2011 3500HD comes with one.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #13
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
I have an '06 F350, automatic trans., rig weight is ~21,000#. I use the T/H mode ALL the time when towing. Haven't run the Grapevine but do run the Siskyous both ways. The grades are ~ 6% for several miles. I agree, the first thing is SLOW DOWN BEFORE you hit the grade getting the rig under control first and down to the next gear . If you don't, later may be too late. Step on the brakes to get it to downshift and then I do need to apply the brakes to keep the revs and speed down. However, I need apply the brakes very seldom and not for long.

An exhaust brake, although a good piece of equipment, won't make up for poor driving technique.

I looked into the exhaust brakes but held off for the first year due to time & $$ constraints. At the time I couldn't find a unit that would work in my Ford including Pacbrake who is close to home.. They do have one now but I since realized I didn't really need it. As long as you get the rig under control before descending only judicious brake use should be necessary.

Of course if you don't have a T/H mode then an exhaust brake may be a necessity.

If I start towing where the grades are steeper and more numerous I may change my mind(????).
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:35 AM   #14
NASCARon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4082
An exhaust brake is the best thing you can do for a diesel engine. That's why Dodge's come with a factory installed exhaust brake. For the newer, EGR equipped, diesel engines an exhaust brake will help burn off soot that can build up.

I have to say our previous Chevy didn't have an exhaust brake and our new Dodge does. Both have a 6 speed tranny with tow/haul and the difference controlling the load is very noticeable. As long as we're pulling heavy, we'll have an exhaust brake.
NASCARon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:13 AM   #15
gregh9999
Established Member

M.O.C. #8671
The 2011 Ford SD will have one standard with the diesel.

Super Duty® continues to innovate with its enhanced Tow/Haul Mode. For 2011, the new Power Stroke 6.7L diesel and six-speed TorqShift® transmission utilizes automatic engine exhaust braking to improve driving confidence and minimize brake wear. While downhill driving in Tow/Haul Mode, it restricts the flow of exhaust back into the engine to maintain engine power and truck speed. This big-rig-inspired feature increases towing confidence without wearing down the transmission or heating up the brakes.
gregh9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #16
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
There is nothing wrong with any time engine brake. GM had the exhaust brake on the Chevy Kodiak but the Allison worked different that the 3500HD. And since GM is increasing the weight ratings and installing larger brakes and rotors the engine brake will help. I have a Pac brake system on the Freightliner and also have the
3000 series Allison which works similar to the 1000 series. I can paddle shift it thru all 6 gears. What I like about the engine braking system is it really saves on brakes. But with the GM 3500HDs I really didn't need a engine brake the Allison took care of the extra braking. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #17
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
Can I put an exhaust brake on my 2005 Dodge automatic CTD 410. I always tow in T/H mode but it doesn't slow me down enough on steep grades? So I end end up hitting the brake hard as per Art stated. Does it help to down shift into 1st or 2nd gear on down hill grades while in T/H. My combined weight is about 19,500 fully loaded. I'm out of warrenty. Thanks, Ray
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:09 PM   #18
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Ray
Try Banks exhaust brake.
I love mine.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:57 PM   #19
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by clutch

I have a 2009 6.7 and the new motor uses the exhost brake to help warm up the motor, and it also increeses the idel up to 1000 rpms in very cold weather it does not close it all the way just partly I noticed this and mentioned it to my dealer and that is the information I was given for that.

By this I am refering to the DPF filter that will plug up with extended idle times.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #20
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I am having a PacBrake exhaust brake installed on my truck on Wednesday. I will let you know how it works after I get a chance to use it.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote