Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2010, 01:42 AM   #1
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
New Engine? Same old tale!

At 57,000 miles my '04 F-350 6.0L engine burned the #7 injector, began dumping diesel fuel in that cylinder, burned a hole in the piston, and blew aluminum throughout the engine. Bunch-a-money to replace the engine. At 108,000 miles my "new" 6.0L lost the #2 & #7 injectors with #3, #5, & #8 still working but out of specs. Two engines in less than 110,000 miles. Enough already. Yesterday, I decided to jack up the radiator cap and drive a 2010 Dodge 3500HD Dooley Big Horn under it. Today, I will try to get the aux fuel tank and B&W Turn-over Ball Hitch changed to the new truck.

I have been a Ford man for seveal years but enough is enough. Oh, the dealership I bought the F-350 from sold it to me with an Edge chip in it AND sold me an extended warranty. When the engine blew, Ford said No warranty because of the chip. !@#$%&* etc. But that's another story. I'm looking forward to driving the new Dodge.

lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:12 AM   #2
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
Sorry to hear about the problems but good luck with the new truck. It sounds like a great combination you’re putting together. It seems some trucks regardless of brand just never work out and others run for ever.
There was some discussion in another thread about types of engine oil to use. Naturally you have to stick with the OEM recommendation but I would suggest you start sampling and analyzing the engine oil and coolant right from the start. The long term benefits far outweigh the cost and become very useful when repairs are necessary, especially when warranty claims made.
Just check the web for online services or ask your dealer if they recommend someone in particular.

Good Luck

John
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:25 AM   #3
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I know the ford dealers in our area will not warranty any diesel with a chip in it. If an engine fails and you remove the chip before going to dealer there are tell-tell signs on the pistons from chip use for them to inspect. It is a shame that the dealer knew about the chip and did not remove it before selling you the truck.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:36 AM   #4
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Really sorry to hear of your troubles. I don't know why folks put those chips in to start with. We pull a 15,000 lb. trailer and have no issues with the stock engine. We pull in the mountains too. A lot of my friends have always said you need to get a chip. I tell them when the truck starts struggling and gives me reason to make changes maybe. Why mess with something that isn't broken?

Good luck with the new truck. Cummins makes fine Diesels.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:18 AM   #5
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Brad,

Your story is not a new one.

Glad to hear you're coming over-to-the-other-side; pretty sure you won't be disappointed.

Good Luck......BTW, white is a nice color, goes great with Montana.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:43 AM   #6
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
The great thing with that new Dodge you won't need to add anything to boost power. I had a 2001 and chipped it because it was lacking but when I went to the 2004 did not need to do anything and (knock on wood) with 86,000 miles have had no trouble to speak of. Used my extended warranty once for a new computer because of a trailer light not working.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:38 AM   #7
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Although this won't help you Brad, it may help somebody. I have a friend who had the same thing happen. finally a mechanic put some sort of fuel pressure sensor on it and discovered the pressure was low. They fixed whatever caused the low pressure and he has had no problem since.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #8
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Any one that knows Fords knows you can not chip that motor. It was not ONE OF Ford's BETTER IDEAS. It can be chips but other mods also need to be done. Hard to believe that a Ford dealer would do some thing like that.I would go after the dealer that sold you the truck. Good luck on the Dodge and sorry about the Ford
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I had 40,000 miles on my first 6.0L and traded it in for my current 6.0L and it's now up to 58,000. My trucks are considered new by diesel standards and I have had no problems with either (not counting a cracked wheel, but that's not a drivetrain issue). On the other hand I had a friend who had strange issues with his 6.0L and after enough bad dealer treatment and BS, he decided to go away from American. It happens.

On the other hand I've seen an MOC member with 360,000 miles on his Ford. It's unfortunate what Brad went through with his truck since they probably replaced the motor but couldn't truly find out what caused the original problem, so that it possibly happened again? It could have been fuel pressure, it could have been a misprogrammed Edge product, it could have been that even with the Edge, more should have been added like the exhaust, etc., but in support of Brad, once you have been soured on a vehicle and you lose confidence there is no going back. Time to make a change and hope for better.

Brad and Carol. Good luck on with your new truck.

Are all Dodge Big Horns all white in color? Otherwise, I am impressed that Robbie knows your new truck is White!

On edit: Brad and Carol - don't forget to change your signature to show off your new TV.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #10
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
I Have the Edge installed on mine. I only use the first 3 settings 0=original 1=fuel economy and 2=towing. But the reason I installed it was for the gauges built into it. Ok I lied i used 5 once just to see what it would do, and it wasn't on for more than 60 seconds. But I use it because I can watch my • Boost • EGT • Barametric PSI • Speed MPH • Engine Coolant Temperature
• Gear • Intake Air Temperature • Load% • Slip % • Transmission Temperature • Throttle% • Turbo Boost PSI • RPM
K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #11
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Smiled when you mentioned you're going with the 2010 Dodge. Mine is 10 days out (from delivery). It's always nice to hear of others making the same decision you did.

It's sort of a boost to the confidence level.

My truck will be the blue one steaming down the road with the old driver showin' 40 teeth (in the mouth, not in a glass).
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #12
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Nothing against ford they are a great looking truck but they had a lot of trouble and still are with the 6.0. that was the start of the problems between ford and navistar. Hope this truck is alot better.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:02 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just for the record...08 F-350, 6.4L diesel...29,000 miles 90% of which is towing the 3400 anchor. Not a single problem of any kind. According to the the Diesel guy here at our Local Florida Ford dealer the 6.4L motor has been a very good motor with few failures. Half of the failures they have seen were due to chipped motors..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:26 AM   #14
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Rich is correct on that,chipping these motors has both good and bad points. you just need to know where your limit is. If I am not mistaken,it sounds like the new all ford diesel is going to be built in Cleveland at the old engine plant. Which will be good for Ohio.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Unless something has changed the new Ford Diesel is being built in Mexico.

"CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Ford Motor Co.'s Brook Park engine complex will not build the company's new diesel truck engine, despite years of negotiations aimed at bringing the work here.

Instead, the company said Monday it would build the 6.7-liter diesel engine for model year 2011 F-Series Super Duty trucks in Chihuahua, Mexico"

Such is life......
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #16
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
thats to bad. we all could use a little good job news once in a while....
Old 02-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #17
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Chipping a motor has always put pressure on the injectors and other parts of the drive train.
You wont need to chip the new dodge, just put in fuel and drive it. dont forget if you chip the new dodge it has a tatel-tail computer and if they find out you chiped or did a delet they will void your warintee.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #18
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Welcome to the world of Dodge.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:01 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Lasater and pbahlin, congratulations on the new Dodge trucks. I, too, drove Fords for many years. I had no drivetrain problems with mine but fell in love with the Cummins and bought it in late May, 2007. I continue to be amazed at how easily this truck tows this very heavy Montana. It just doesn't work up a sweat. The transmission is outstanding. We only have about 52,000 on the truck but so far I'm very impressed and very pleased. I did not like the solo ride of our 2007 so took a hint from Steves and installed Rancho 9000s adjustable shocks with compressor and incab controls. They're not airshocks but mine use air to adjust the shock stiffness. The new ones use some other method. In any case, I hope your Dodge trucks do as well as ours has.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote