Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
just trampin

M.O.C. #9044
Send a message via Yahoo to just trampin
1 ton dually or not?

As a new member and new owner of a 2008 3400RL I have found on these forums invaluable information relating to short box versus long box (found out it really doesn't matter except for the hitch) and got great info on the different mfg's diesels. I have "tentativly" decided on a Dodge dually 4wd diesel. BUT, having somewhat of a time locating one that we like. Question - do I need to stick with the Dodge dually OR can I run with a 1 ton Dodge (non-dually)? I read a piece of advice in an earier forum that "the bigger the trailer the bigger the truck" - that is basically how I became interested in the dually. Weight on the 3400RL(including generator) is approx. 12,200#. I'm sure the better part will toss in 2,000#+ before we get out of town! Hitch weight is approx. 2,000#. Looking for some more great answers from all you folks! Dazed and confused!

just trampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
The one ton Dodge will handle the trailer..Most of the members here seem to tow with Chevy or GMC..a few have the duallys... I have an F350 SRW with my unit... I would feel much more comfy with a dually but the dually doesnt fit us when not towing so I dont have one...
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have pulled a Big Sky with a SRW and with a DRW. Of the two, I prefer towing with a dually, but when not towing, I would rather have a SRW. In RVing, there is always a trade off. I have the dually because we are full time, so I put up with the dually when not towing.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Another way to paraphrase Stiles is to say "To get, you've gotta give." A plus in one area often shows up as the opposite in another.

In our situation, we towed an '06 3400RL with a GMC 1 ton SRW. Stability (side to side) was an issue, at times for us. However we could easily get our truck in a commercial car wash. We switched to a 1 ton dually. Now, stability is not an issue, but I've got to hire someone, or worse, wash the truck myself because it won't fit in most commercial car wash facilities.

Look at the weight ratings, pick the color you want and then go for it, as most 3/4 ton and 1 ton LDT on the market are more than capable of pulling (and stopping) these Montanas.

We are now pulling a Big Sky, which is a little heavier, and I second Stiles about the dually.

Good luck and welcome to this forum.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we are one that will say go with what the numbers tell you on the truck.The 08 3400 specs are I think, Dry weight of 12,190,CC of 3430 Gross of 16,620 Which means the pin weight could be around 3,000lbs. I don't know the numbers on the Dodge truck but they can be found. Our 08 Ford has a 5th wheel tow limit of 15,300 with the 4:10 diff and it is a dually. I would be over if I had a 08 3400 and was at gross weight.
True IMO the dually is not the ideal truck to drive around town but..the numbers determine what we tow with not what we would rather have.

Do the homework and good luck.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I think its simple IMHO, Big Montana, Big Truck. The only problem with the dually's I've owned is you can't find many drive thru automatic wash systems. But there are a few that will handle a dually. As for as parking, a dually isn't any more of a problem that a 3/4 ton long bed 4/4 C/C truck, or a 1 ton C/C 4x4. And with the dually you will get a long bed with the larger fuel tank and want have to spend the big bucks for a slider 5th wheel hitch. Forget about the weight as posted, it will change when you put it on a Cat Scale, and thats the only way you will know the true weight. Good Luck with your choice. GBY...

P.S. I believe you can never have to much Truck.......
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
As others have mentioned, it will be personal preference. We have a 1 ton GMC with single rear wheels pulling a 3400. Personal preference, I didn't want a truck that had "wide hips." Also, my truck is a "daily driver" and driving through downtown/parking with a dual setup would be a challenge. Only place I have felt uncomfortable in the single setup is on narrow roads with tight curves at excessive speed, so I slow down and drive per conditions. Otherwise, we've been perfectly comfortable with the single setup. And, it is easier to check air, go through a car wash, and maneuver with singles, but again it IS personal preference.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I'm also one of those who prefers the single rear wheels. There are many reasons why, the main one being the "wide hips" as someone else mentioned. I just haven't liked them. Plus the car wash problem with dual wheels. As was mentioned, it's pretty much a personal preference. Some have said that they have better stability with duals but I don't have any noticeable instability with my single rear wheels.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
I have an 07 Dodge Mega Cab 3500 which is the one ton with single rear wheels. I have never had a stability issue in the 20,000 I have towed the 5er. The only reason I can see to have a dually is so that if you have a flat on the rear you hopefully would still have one viable tire.

As for the towing capabilities the dually is rated to tow about 200 to 300 pounds less than the single rear wheel truck.

I love my Mega Cab and would recomend it to anyone. I have a Super Glide 18K hitch.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have towed with both and prefer the dually. I can't say exactly why as I never felt I had a stability issue with the SRW and I pulled our 3400 out of Alaska with a 2500 SRW Chevy. Selected the larger truck because of weight...If you full time you will probably max out the weight in the 3400, keep that in mind when you choose. I actually think some of the larger 5th wheels are too heavy for many of the 1 ton trucks, that leaves the Ford 450 and 550 (if you want to stick with the pickup style truck). I heard that Dodge may come out with a 4500, anyone else heard that?????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:17 PM   #11
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I have a 3400 and I tow with an F-350 4x4 single rear wheel. I have never had a stability issue. I do disagree with something some have said. IMHO the longer the wheelbase the better. Any one of the big three will do the job, it is a matter of choice. My unofficial count is that more drive Fords but that may be because of my bias. whatever you get, enjoy
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:29 PM   #12
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
I've had SWD, and DWD. I've had Fords & Dodge. I gave up on the Fords after two 6.0's with bad head gaskets. I really liked the Dodge dually and would probably buy another one (a 5500). But, as you can see, as they say, the difference between a man and a boy ----. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:50 PM   #13
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
We towed the SOB with a 3/4 ton SRW and did fine. When we upgraded to Monty (much heavier) we felt the need for a 1 ton, and the dually was the rig of choice. To me, it just feels alot more stable, it's plenty of truck for the job, because it has a long box there's no need for a special hitch, and since its' primary purpose is towing, just seemed to be the logical choice, at least for us. Any of the big three will do the job, so it's pretty much up to personal preference. In our case, we went with the F350 CC SD. We looked at Dodge SRWs, but the rear seat was a little small, and Mega cabs all had short boxes. The GMs all seemed to have short boxes with the CC setup. The Ford had a huge back seat and all the features we wanted. Good luck in your search
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:48 PM   #14
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
I have always towed my fifth wheels with duallies and always very stable. I was towing a couple hundred miles one day pulling my fifth wheel and I began to noticed a little sway in the rear end. This became worse and worse over about 25 miles. It was a dry sunny day and I found a truck stop where I could pull off and check my rig. The first place I looked were the rear tires. Sure enough I had a inside rear tire go flat. I keep my rear tires at 75 psi knowing I am up near maximum tongue weight on my 99 F350 dually with my 3670 RL loaded to the hilt water and everything. I changed an inside rear tire and my stability returned at once. Tires were probably 50% worn and flat was caused by bad valve stem. I can attest that the loss of one of four rear tires and stability is affected. On top of that I love a dually so much I bought another one '08 F450 CC dually. Huge brakes and even more stable than my '99 F350. The F450 4x4 has a wide track front end as well as the wide track dual rear wheels. It is pure physics the longer the lever of the wide rear the more leverage due to the distance to the king pin. I never felt so safe! Sure I don't go to car washes or go to drive thrus but I don't miss it because I rarely did it before dual rear wheels and sure can't go thru one with a trailer anyway.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #15
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I am pulling a big investment down the road. I have worked hard to enjoy this investment so I want to have a truck which I am comfortable with during travel. I went with the dodge quad cab dually. I am not a big dodge fan but love the engine in the truck. It all comes down to what you feel safe driving down the interstate at 65 pulling a lot of weight behind you. I would rather err on the side of caution. This is also my daily driver and it is challenging at times. Be prepared to park in the far part of the parking lot(gets me excercise) and some drive throughs are a challenge. Again it comes to personal preference.
Good Luck
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:55 AM   #16
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Having a 2500HD, which of course is an SRW, I refuse to get into any discussion of which is the best truck for towing a Montana or any other 5er.
BUT, a statement "The only reason I can see to have a dually is so that if you have a flat on the rear you hopefully would still have one viable tire." While that maybe true when not towing it is a FALSE sense of security when the Monty is attached. Duals, when properly inflated, are designed to carry a specific load. Take one of the tires out of the equation and you now have a dangerous situation. The full load is now on ONE tire not designed to carry such a load. Under the right circumstances you can cautiously limp to an exit or rest area on that one overloaded tire but only if you know one tire is now flat. Quite often you don't know until the flat tire starts rubbing against the good tire. This rubbing will create enough heat in the good tire to cause a second blow out.
Also a SUDDEN blowout of one tire dangerously forces the FULL weight of the rig onto the remaining tire. This SUDDEN overload can cause a serious handling problem or possibly cause the good tire to now blow out.
Many will argue that now is the time for the Tire Pressure monitoring devices. These devices only tell you that you have a leaking tire. They are useless when the tire blows out. By the time your monitor tells you your tire went flat you are already aware.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:43 AM   #17
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
We use a 06 Dodge 3500 DRW, auto with Jacobs exhaust brake and I love it! Stability and weight handling are great. Heavy winds have little effect, cut accross Kansas sometime and find out! Second trip from Co. to Pa. and no issues. Headin to SC real soon!
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:47 AM   #18
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
I can't tell you the exact number of miles I have towed the Monty, but I have never had a stability problem with our 04 Dodge 3500 SRW which has 107,000 miles on the speedometer. I never gave a thought to the car wash issue as I couldn't afford to build a new garage with doors wide enough to park the Dodge. One thing to keep in mind is that the curb weight of the dually will be more than the SRW thus decreasing the pin weight you can carry.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:52 AM   #19
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
My $.02. I have a GMC 2500HD and tow a TT. However I bought a slide-in camper a few years ago and found it necessary to install a rear sway bar on the truck because the height and weight of the slide in caused instability while driving. The sway bar was a great improvement.

I sold the slide-in but still have the sway bar on the truck and I find, in my situation, that it greatly improves stability while towing. There is almost no noticable reaction from 18 wheelers passing me as well as other benefits.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:56 AM   #20
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I disagree on the Pin weight of a SRW vs DRW, I think the DRW can handle more Pin weight, but I'm not familiar with the Dodge brand. You may be correct. There is no way a SRW can handle the Pin weight I have to carry, and be within weight spec's. GBY......
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote