Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2007, 04:16 PM   #41
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cat320

I really don't know if some of the folks towing big trailers with small trucks are naive or just plain stupid. On the RV forum there's a guy towing a Teton with a 3/4 D/A and, even 'better' is the guy on the diesel forum with a SRW one ton D/A (GCWR 22,000) towing a rig with a GCW of 39,000...but, "tows great, never had a problem."
Bert, I think a lot of people towing big rigs with small trucks have read statements on the internet claiming manufacturer's ratings are only guidelines. I keep telling my kids, there is as much misinformation on the Net as there is information.
We should all be glad that Ford and GM doesn't put diesels in the Rangers or S10s because I am sure we would see fools on the roads pulling Montanas with these things. They would feel they were close enough to the quidelines!

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:48 PM   #42
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
With diesels coming in the 1/2 tons I bet you will see it.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:56 PM   #43
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Having had a F250 before this F350 i can happily say that it is a big difference in the stability and handling of the rig and i feel a whole lot better and safer with the 350. Not only my sake but my wife or who ever may be with us. The dual wheels make all the difference in the world as for as handling. The brakes and axles may be the same but better payload on 350 and the towing capacity is better even if it is because of the extra spring the stability just isn't there on the 250 verses the dual rear wheel. This is just my 2 cents worth.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:50 PM   #44
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If you look again at my post you'll see my reference was that in the US the numbers are not legal limits and thus are guidelines. There is nowhere I know of that says they are guidelines. It is the absence of them being legal requirements I referred to. Therefore they must be guidelines. They also could be used by the manufacturer to decide warranty issues. In that case they are not guidelines. My comments were in reply to the thread that stated going over those numbers is illegal. It is not illegal in the US.

I have towed with both F250 and F350 and the only difference was some squat on the F250 until the airbags were added. There was absolutely NO difference in handling or stability. Neither was a dually. Both were Fords. I do not have experience with the other brands as far as towing heavy weights so cannot comment on them.

I think this thread has run its course. Unfortunately it took a direction I was hoping it would not. It's intent was to post some numbers to show that it is no longer accurate to automatically say a 1 ton has better capabilities than a 3/4 ton.

I ask our moderators to either delete or lock this thread.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote