Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2007, 12:25 PM   #1
Team Daybreak

M.O.C. #6533
3400RL Towablilty

I noticed that RV Consumer Group shows that the "handling" rating for the 3400RL is fairly low. I was wondering how owners of the 3400RL felt about that. Have you noticed any particular handling problems when towing? My DW and I are planning on going fulltime in May and have been looking very closely at the 3400RL. We really like its floorplan and storage. Thanks for any comments.

John

Team Daybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
You know I would just love to know just who makes up this RV Consumer Group. As everyone that owns a Montana, and not just the 3400RL, darn well knows they are the best trailing 5th wheels one can find. Many of our members more than once made the comment "I'm constantly looking in the mirror to make sure it's still back there." That is not a comment made by someone with any kind of handling problems when towing?
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:13 PM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I went to their site to try to look it up, and they wanted me to buy the cd that carried the ratings...I don't think I need to pay for that...
I don't know about you guys with the 5'ers, but I have to watch my speedo to keep it down.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:23 PM   #4
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

You know I would just love to know just who makes up this RV Consumer Group. As everyone that owns a Montana, and not just the 3400RL, darn well knows they are the best trailing 5th wheels one can find. Many of our members more than once made the comment "I'm constantly looking in the mirror to make sure it's still back there." That is not a comment made by someone with any kind of handling problems when towing?
Good question. Although lots here have only towed the Montana and do not have anything to use in comparison.

Between the MorRyde and the air pin box...ours sure does fine, lots better than my other 5er towing experience. Of course, one thing not mentioned is the TV...that plays a large part also.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:34 PM   #5
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Not so sure about the TV, if it's rated correctly, making a big difference in how the 3400 pulls. You have a Chevy, I have a Dodge, a friend of mine has a Ford. You and I have the 5th Airbourne and all three of use say the same thing about towing. It does very well. The rating folks are nuts..
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:41 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've only towed our 3400RL about 3,000 miles but it tows beautifully. It feels just like our 2003 Montana 3295RK and I towed it over 50,000 miles. Not only does it tow beautifully, but with that MorRyde RE in the suspension it rides pretty smoothly, too. I've never felt a moment of white knuckle handling or any reason to be nervous, even in heavy crosswinds, up and down mountains, etc., with either of those Montanas. It's a very comfortable tow. I wonder what criteria RVCG uses for their towability ratings.

If you have any questions I can answer, I see email more often than I'm on this forum. Feel free to click the envelope icon above this post to email me. Just mention what we're talking about... CRS, ya know.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:47 PM   #7
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
John, I agree with Glenn. I am one of those that will look back from time to time to see if it is still back there. It pulls great even in cross winds. If the 3400RL floor plan is what you like then get it. You will be happy with the way it or anyother model pulls and handles. This is my second Montana and when I trade again it will be a Montana.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:55 PM   #8
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
John, I agree with the other posters on this subject. The Montana suspension system is probaly one of the best on the market. I am currently towing a model 3280 and am stepping up to the 3400RL. I have no qualms whatsoever about the towing handling of the unit.
I alos thin the RVCG should really recveal their test criteria, and what they used ot test with and where.
Go fpor it you won't regret your decision for one mintue
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:58 PM   #9
jrlepin
Established Member

M.O.C. #5916
We have towed our 2006, 3400RL throughout all of the western states as far east as Wyoming from Oregon with absolutly no issues. The trailer is usually at its maximum weight. We consider the real test to be a future trip to Alaska. We are pulling it with a 2002 Ford 350 4WD dually. But I have an exaust break that I recommend anyone use with an older truck.

Jim
jrlepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:10 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Well we can compare. This is our 3rd fifth wheel and the first two were SOB. The Monty tows beautifully. This past summer we did all of the western states, home, then back to Flagstaff for a month. Lots of mountains, bad roads, etc. He still followed us where ever we went. Good Boy!
Happy trails........................................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:33 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well with the Mor-Re suspension and the Mor Ride pin box the 3400 tows and feels great. I can not compare as I have never towed another 5th wheel of any brand however if this has a low tow rating I can not imagine what it must feel like to tow one with a high tow rating. Wonder what standards they apply.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:29 PM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
How do you get a BAD rating for handling?? I did try to race a Porsche down Wolf Creek Pass bringing ours home from the Dealer last week and the Porsche beat me in the curves - but beyond that I guess I don't understand what the criteria used for the rating is.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:50 AM   #13
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Good one Brad, if you would have entered the apex of the curve sooner maybe you would have beaten the Porsch.
I do not have any comparison other than my current 3400 - man how could it be any better? Me thinks the RV Consumer Group needs better info - like pulling one themselves vs the opinions of SOB owner.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:48 AM   #14
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
We have owned and pulled fivers from 20 ft to 40 ft, triple axles and double axles and single axles. Our 3500rl is by FAR the easiest I have ever pulled. No question.
And Yes, I am also one that looks back to see if it is still there. My wife says all the time "quit worrying, its still back there". That dont come from nothing! Course if I listened to RV CONSUMERS GROUP, I would be in a Teton and driving a Kenworth.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:57 AM   #15
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I tow my 05 3400 with an 06 F350 and have absolutely no problem. Like stated previoulsy....I sometimes forget it's there. Additionally, I tow with a stock F350 and get no chucking or jerking so I have never ever considered needing anything more than a standard articulating 5th wheel hitch.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:00 AM   #16
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I have owned four other fifth wheels, a 24 foot Wilderness, 26 foot Slumberqueen , and two different 26 foot Kit Companion. My 2955RL tows smoother than all the others and they towed well.
I have read articles in RV magazines that are almost complete nonsense so I am very skeptical of anything I read about RV handling.
I am sure the Montana 3400 pulls just as well as any of the Montana models.

I think once in a while you can get a combination TV and trailer that because of the WB or weight combinations, just will have bad handling. True story, and not meant to compare Ford and Dodge, more to compare wheelbase. My brother had a 98 Dodge cummins 4x4 extended cab short box and he bought a new 28 foot Forest River Fifth wheel. On certain places that trailer would start slamming the truck so bad it was absolutely terrifying. He tried everything. more pin weight, less pin weight, etc. etc. We hooked it up to the truck I owned at that time, a 2000 Ford F350 Crew Cab, 4x4 short box, went over the same stretch of road that had sent his unit into a violent jack hammering, and with my Ford it was just fine. The very spot that always sent his unit into the death shake, would cause the Ford to give a slight jiggle, that you really had to try and notice. We played around with this a lot and the height of the trucks was almost identical, The Ford felt a little softer on the rear springs, and the Ford had a longer wheel base which we came to think was the reason the Ford towed better. He tried air bags.........no help.
Anyway, he has an 05 Dodge now and it pulls his same Fiver just fine so for some reason his Fiver did not like the 98 Dodge.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:22 AM   #17
Montana_6204

M.O.C. #6204
I have discovered that this group has folks that travel around actually inspect, measure, drive, and I guess pull RV's to get their information.
I sell part time at an RV dealer in Fl, and while I was on the lot one day, I went into a unit where a couple were measuring cabinets.
Now this is not unusual as folks try to make comparisions to certain things that are most important to them.
I ask if I could be of assistance or answer any questions. I was told rather rudely that NO, we are volunteers for an indpendent non-profit RV Consumer Group. "We try to get to the truth" about RV's, so we do field inspections on all types of units to find the real numbers. I told them they were welcome to look, measure and "seek the truth" about anything on our lot. Now they were not in a Montana, but rather a Winnebago motor home that day. As I was excusing myself, I told them if they had any questions I would be glad to answer them or find out for them, which he replied is this the only "38J" you have on the lot? I replied "actually we don't have ANY 38J's on the lot, you are in a 38T!!, "glad to see you are seeking the truth on 38j's" !!

Take eveything with a grain of salt, especially folks that seem to be on a mission, and for what reason ?? With all of the "real life" information on the internet, such as this website, perhaps these volunteer inspectors could move on to another mission.

My humble opinion.

Lou
Montana_6204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:40 AM   #18
Team Daybreak

M.O.C. #6533
Thank you all very much for your comments. I really appreciate them. My TV will be very similar to Steves, a 2006 F350 PSD, SRW, long bed, 4x4, but with a supercab. We have the TV and are planning on buying the 5er as soon as we get our house sold, probably about April or May. Then we're "on the road". We've liked the 3400RL ever since we saw one, although I have looked at a lot of other competing models. The only other one that is still a possibility is a King of the Road. They are very nice, but the weight is a little more and they don't have any dealers in my area (Portland, OR). The closest is Hermiston, OR, and that's far enough that I haven't been able to see one yet. Our current RV is a 25S Arctic Fox TT, so we are making a big change. The TT has been great for weekends, but now we're going to go FT and have decided that a fifth wheel is the way to go.

Thanks to all again, and it'll probably be a Montana just so you'll all let me continue in this great forum

John
Team Daybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:48 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"if I listened to RV CONSUMERS GROUP, I would be in a Teton and driving a Kenworth." If I Had the money I might be in one of these anyway...Rv consumer group or not.Good comparison Brad on the handling maybe I should take my rig through the School bus obstacle course and see if we can get around the cones.. We have looked at the CD... it is infomational..that's about it.Would not base my purchase on that info alone.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:13 AM   #20
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
When deciding what new 5th wheel to purchase - which took almost 2 years, I purchased the RV rating CD's for several years and had several conversations witht he RV Consumer Group. When it comes to tow rating, they are quite consious about safety, and especially that overloading of the trailer will be a towing hazard. Since the 3400, and several other of the Montana models have realatively low cargo carrying capacity, they are rated low. This is because (by the numbers) the 3400 can be easily overloaded. This is especially true since the Consumer Group assumes full fresh water tanks and propane. This leaves the net cargo capacity nicely below 2,000#. Thus the low rating.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote