Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2023, 02:23 PM   #1
Jay & Bobbie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32306
Water system flush

I tried pouring a bleach mixture into the overflow port and it would not flow in as described in the owners manual. I am new at all this, so I apologize. What am I doing wrong or not doing at all.
2018 345rl

Jay & Bobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 04:15 PM   #2
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay & Bobbie View Post
I tried pouring a bleach mixture into the overflow port and it would not flow in as described in the owners manual. I am new at all this, so I apologize. What am I doing wrong or not doing at all.
2018 345rl
Inserting Bleach into the fresh water tank via the overflow discharge point, would be difficult at best. One easy way would be to pour bleach into an empty garden hose, then attach to a water supply and then to your camper. You need to make sure the fresh water tank is not entirely full so that there would be room to receive the bleach into the tank. Turn on the water supply faucet and the bleach will be forced into the fresh water tank. Easy Peasey. Another way (if you have the ability to siphon water into your camper using the pressure pump) is to use a short garden hose (5' available at Home Depot) attached to the fill port of your camper (located where you normally attach the water supply to the camper). Perhaps someone with your model camper could provide you a pic of the convenience center where the valves are located.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 05:52 AM   #3
Jay & Bobbie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32306
I like that idea. It would be safe to assume a 50ft water hose could easily hold 5/4 cups of bleach.
Old 02-28-2023, 06:53 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
If you have the outside shower (blue coiled hose) in your convenience center, you can attach the other end to your fresh water fill - garden hose connection.

Now, add your sanitizing solution in a bucket and pump the solution using your winterizing port. You'll need to flip the valves to "winterize" and still by pass the water heater. But then simply turn on the outside shower (blue coiled hose) and it will pump the sanatizing solution into the fresh water tank. Once the total amount is pumped into the fresh water tank, you can now add more water to the fresh water tank (the conventional way with your garden hose), and this will dilute the solution.

Now you can easily run the solution through all the lines, and now put some in the water heater too if you want to sanitize it too.

This process will super sanitize the winterizing line and the line running from the fresh water inlet (garden hose) to the tank.

Once in the fresh water tank, running the on-board pump will dilute the mixture there and anywhere else the stronger solution flowed first.

What you are basically doing is winterizing the outside shower line with sanitizing solution. But rather than dumping it on the ground, you are now pumping it into the fresh water tank. (hope this makes sense).

Actually, you can sanitize the entire system using the winterizing port if you want without filling the fresh water tank first if you want. Again, instead of using RV antifreeze, just use the sanitizing solution. However, you will want to pump it into the fresh water tank too to sanitize it. I think, that's why its easier to just pump a strong concentrate of the solution into the fresh water tank first and then dilute once it's in the tank, then run through the rest of the water lines.

That's how I do it.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 07:36 AM   #5
brooks340
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25402
I've always just used a long neck (about 3") funnel and poured it directly into the overflow port. Never had an issue and I do it twice a year. Make sure you mix the bleach up with some water so as not to leave some of it in the hose down to the tank.
Old 02-28-2023, 08:21 AM   #6
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
I do what brooks said.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 10:19 AM   #7
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandK View Post
I do what brooks said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks340 View Post
I've always just used a long neck (about 3") funnel and poured it directly into the overflow port. Never had an issue and I do it twice a year. Make sure you mix the bleach up with some water so as not to leave some of it in the hose down to the tank.
Same here.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 11:25 AM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks340 View Post
I've always just used a long neck (about 3") funnel and poured it directly into the overflow port. ...
Yes, a lot of folks do it that way, but the original poster said he tried that and it did not work for him. These are alternative ways, trying to help him out.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 12:47 PM   #9
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
[QUOTE=Jay & Bobbie;1269772] What am I doing wrong or not doing at all.
2018 345rl[/QUOTE

Did you take the bug screen out so the funnel will slide in a ways?
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 01:31 PM   #10
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If you use a water filter that has a housing that holds the filter, just remove the filter, put as much chlorine in it as you need, put it together and run the water into the tank and the chlorine goes with the water. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Sedimen...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 01:32 PM   #11
Jay & Bobbie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32306
I used a piece of hose about 3 ft with a funnel. The overflow port will not accept the liquid. It always spilled back out. I did remove the screen and tried inserting the hose several different distances. I think I will use one of the alternative methods. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 02-28-2023, 09:34 PM   #12
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I put 1.5 cups of bleach in the freshwater hose then connect the hose to the spicket and fill the freshwater and hot water tanks (about 60gal). Then turn on the pump and run water out each faucet, including the washer and outside shower and winterizing port.
Let it sit overnight then drain and flush it out. Takes about 3 freshwater tanks to get rid of the bleach smell.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 01:43 PM   #13
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
I use a 3’ clear tubing that fits my long tube funnel, and fits inside my overflow . I mix the bleach in a 1 gallon milk jug to dilute it some. Remove the overflow cover and screen. Work the tube GENTLY into the overflow. My clear tube ends up inside my fresh water tank. You just want it in far enough so the bleach water will run into the fresh water tank. Pour in the bleach water and replace screen and in my case, the overflow cover. Fill fresh tank and hot water tank then run each faucet until you can smell the bleach. Don't forget any outside faucets and if you have washer hook ups you need to run those also. Fill your hot water tank but do not turn it on. I let my bleach water sit a minimum of 8 hours, but it usually ends up about 24 hours or so. I only flush system one time but flush it well. Any residual bleach won’t hurt you or your system. Some people do a second flush but that’s up to you. I find this really works well for me. Hope this helps.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 07:44 AM   #14
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Of course, this is the way to do it. I poured bleach into the filter for years. It is simple to unscrew the filter after you release the pressure, remove the sediment filter (time to replace it anyway), fill the canister half full of bleach, and screw it back on. Turn the fresh water refill on. Done.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:58 AM   #15
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
Put into the fresh water tank turn pump on.
Hook up to city water put the rod back into water heater if you had one.
Turn the kitchen sink on first then go to shower the sink run all the pink out
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 05:37 PM   #16
Cbrez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28306
Your bleach solution should flow readily into the overflow vent with the cover and insect screen removed. Perhaps the line is blocked. When you fill your fresh water tank until it is completely full, does water flow out of the overflow vent?
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 03:57 PM   #17
Jay & Bobbie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32306
Yes, water flows from the overflow when the tank becomes full.