Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2022, 01:34 PM   #21
The McCoys
Established Member

M.O.C. #26007
Rear mounted generator

I’ve been RVing for about 30 years. I’ve owned several travel trailers and fifth wheels. I wouldn’t store something as heavy as a generator on a cargo carrier at the rear of either type camper. It would definitely bounce up and down, but that’s not the worst thing. Adding weight that far back will effect how the camper handles going down the road. It can cause swaying, sometimes serious swaying. I would do more research on it, maybe look for some videos. I’ve seen a few on you tube. Good luck and safe travels.

The McCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 02:55 PM   #22
JBS
Established Member

M.O.C. #20108
That's allot of bouncing for a generator.
JBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 05:11 PM   #23
Rich Lazz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26330
I'd like to know more about "peeling the onion" on a 2006 29RL .....no bumper or frame exposed by Keystone......need that bike rack at minimum. LMK thanks
Rich Lazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 06:24 PM   #24
pddiver1

M.O.C. #9606
FYI,

I have a 2011 347THT toy hauler with a bumper. I put a HF foldup cargo carrier and a 2" receiver. I used it to carry a Honda 3000 which weighs 130 lbs.
It does bounce. I have it strapped down so the entire cargo carrier bounces with that weight. I have the gen centered but the problem is if it's slightly off center it tweaks either left or right and bends the carrier.
It can bottom out and after about 600 miles of a 1200 mile trip I had to take it off and put it inside the TH because when I checked the carrier was seriously tilted. I didn't want to take a chance and lose the generator. It was highway driving with fuel stops.

If both ends of the cargo carrier could be stabilized to the frame it would have been a lot better but otherwise that weight twisting on a 2" receiver is a no go for me.
pddiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 08:19 PM   #25
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
So far mine hasn't fallen off, even hauled my axles back from Elkhart.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 09:29 PM   #26
tomJerram
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21376
Thanks for all the comments. It sounds like welding a hitch to the frame will be an issue for my rig. So, I think I'll just leave the generator in the truck bed.
tomJerram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:01 PM   #27
Rich Lazz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26330
i would go with the idea of a double receiver hitch to balance the weight.....but my '06 doesn't have a bumper....looking into (and hoping for club answers) to accessing the frame
Rich Lazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:09 PM   #28
tomJerram
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21376
I would do a double receiver also but it sounds like the frame connections may be a big deal. (no bumper on mine either)
tomJerram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 06:14 AM   #29
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomJerram View Post
Thanks for all the comments. It sounds like welding a hitch to the frame will be an issue for my rig. So, I think I'll just leave the generator in the truck bed.

With a fiver that’s the best way. Put a receptacle in the front of your camper just over the door to the front compartment and run a short cable to the generator.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:08 AM   #30
Martin the Cat
Established Member

M.O.C. #27739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
I intend to put mine on a tray like in the pic below one of these days real soon…project #38 is on the list.
What are your plans to be able to use the generator when the door is closed? Will you build a sealed box around it, how will you vent the exhaust? Best way to connect it all up. I know so many questions...I am looking to do the same thing right now...but I haven't figured out the answers yet.
Martin the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 09:55 AM   #31
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Based on what I have read here from others that have installed the tray drawer for the generator - I assumed you only run the generator when you slide the genny out of the compartment. My install in on hold for now. We have not been able to travel for several months due to a medical complication DW is experiencing.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 07:41 AM   #32
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I know others have added platforms on the rear of their campers, and had a platform that worked well on my previous travel trailer. But on my Montana, I ruled the platform completely out for a couple reasons.

First, the length of this beast makes the rear end extremely bouncy. I wouldn't want to subject my generators to that kind of bouncing.

Second, when I attached the platform, it blocked my rear baggage door and my ladder. I keep all my lumber, electric cords, extra jack pads, and everything I use to set up the trailer (outside) in that cubby. Adding the platform would mean I'd have to remove everything on it before I could open that hatch door. Um.... that was just too much extra work.

I make a license plate holder, attached it to a shaft of a hitch, slide that into the receiver and just display my little vanity plate that says, "Love Shack 2" instead. It's completely out of the way. and that hitch helps support my electric cord so there's not so much weight dangling on the plug-in. (it works for me).

I never used the platform on the Montana because of that. Actually, I ended up giving it away.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, hitches