Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2007, 02:09 AM   #1
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
Brake check

While repacking my wheel bearings last week, I repaired the brake wire on the right rear wheel that I found broken.
Does anyone know an easy way to do a routine check to see if all the magnets are energizing when the brakes are applied?
Thanks.

DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:27 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Think that should show up as a error on your Ford Brake controller??? On our previous camper I would have Helen stand outside and I woulld do a emergency stop on a dirt/gravel area and she wouls watch to see which wheel DID NOT stop
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:31 AM   #3
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Try a sandy surface (or gravel), use the slidebar on your brake controller to lock the trailer brakes, then pull forward about 12/18 inches, then look to see if all wheels slid. if one or more wheels did not then a closer inspection is in order.
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:43 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
If you own a clamp-on amp meter, isolate the blue wire from the rest located in the electrical box on the underside your pinbox. Clamp the meter over the wire and have someone step on the brake pedal ... Most Dexter brakes draw @2.5 amps per brake. Simply multiply the number of trailer brakes you have by 2.5. If your reading on a 4 brake system is say 7 amps, then you know you have a broken wire somewhere. The same can be done with a regular amp meter, you just have to undo the wirenut and place the meter inline with the blue wire. Although not absolute, this method gets the job done in most cases.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:28 AM   #5
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
I pulled the Montana the day before and it did not show an error code on the Ford controller. It did not show an error code on the Prodigy on the Chevy the last time I pulled it with it last year.
Judging by the looks, it had been broken for a while.
Seems I remember a few years back someone talking about using a cheap compass and holding it next to the wheel while someone applied the brake to swing the needle, but not sure how accurate that would be.
I do have a clamp-on Amp meter and will give that a try.
As the lady service writer told me at the dealership,
"If you're not handy with tools, you shouldn't have a RV"
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:38 AM   #6
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I just rebuilt my brakes and I am looking for an easy method to make checks. The compass method will probably work and I will try it shortly when I go out to adjust the brakes. I always carry a compass to set up my DTV.

But dieselguy had such a good idea that I am now thinking of adding an inline ammeter(other than a clamp on) and mount it on my Hoppy box which is mounted on the pin box. I really like this idea. Thanks dieselguy
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:52 AM   #7
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I have the prodigy controller which is very similar to the Ford built in device. I does not show an error code for one or two out of four unconnected brakes. I like the compass idea. Will have to try it.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:02 AM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
lightningjack11: I may have misunderstood, but if you do permanently install an amp meter, be sure it is capable of handling at least 12 amps otherwise it will be a rather expensive fuse and could potentially compromise your brakes.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:48 AM   #9
Wandering Star
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #50
On the subject of brakes, what can be done about squeaky brakes? After my trailer sits for a time the brakes become very squeaky when applied. It can be very upsetting and embarrassing in traffic. Monty stops okay but that noise tells me something not right. Had dealer check the brakes and still after a period of time brakes still would squeal.

Jon
Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:21 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
HUmmm.. But our Ford TBC did show a error code. We first used it on our previous TT and it indicated a dis connect the first..time we hooked it up..turned out we had no brakes on one wheel..found a brake wire that had been broken off for some time and our previous Brake controller did not indicate a failure.. After a couple of tows with the montana we got those intermittent beeps and dis connect errors..we found a wire rubbing through on one wheel.We have the early model TBC..is there a difference???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:55 AM   #11
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Dieselguy,

Thanks for the tip. I will have to put some thought into it. Since I am not worried about exact values I may try a shunted meter so if the meter goes I still have path. But it has been a long time since I have tried something like this. My controller is a simple controller that came with the truck so I need something to tell me the brakes are ok. Maybe even mount it in the truck.

Wandering Star,

I just rebuilt my brakes and used a synthetic lube for all calliper parts. It is a graphite type that does'nt run. I won't know if mine squeal until I get it out on the road.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:39 PM   #12
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
If you have a newer model Ford with the brake controller, then it will let you know with those constant failure notices. I stopped my error notices by removing each wheel, checking all connections, and then adjusting each wheel with a brake tool. You would be surprised at how many trailers need this adjusting right from Keystone.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote