Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2007, 09:01 AM   #1
Dee
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6426
Hyd Slide Hose on 3295

Well I am not real happy today, Our 3295 that we got new in Nov
and used on one trip only, decided to blow the hose just above the pump and I am assuming it goes to the bedroom. I have not gotten that far yet?
Now a short history, as a retired equip owner and operator I have dealt with hydraulics most of my adult life, when the slides reach the max I let off the button, The hose where it blew is not even close to anything to rub on, so I am left thinking bad hose? wonder which one will let go next? Thankfully this one was in the front compt and all it did was make a mess. could have been upstairs and ruined a carpet!
So far I think it is about a push whether I have more miles on it
one trip, or taking it back to get something repaired!
If I sound bitter I am close to that! We traded in a 2000 Alpha Ideal that never had to be returned to the dealer at all. I am beginning to wonder if this purchase is a lemon!
Also my closest dealer is almost 200 mi away!
Sorry to ramble on
Any ideas?

Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Dee,

Sorry to hear of your problem and hope it's repaired to your satisfaction. I know this is of little comfort to you, but we've had our Montana for 8 years and it's never been back to the dealer for repair. I have a friend who owns an Alpha See Ya 5th wheel that he's had all kinds of problems with and another who's had serious Alpenlite issues.

At the price of these rigs we should see more quality, but it seems all the RV builders have problems of some sort from time to time.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #3
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I've never had to deal with it, so I don't know.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:41 AM   #4
Dee
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6426
Ok, here is what I found,
The hose was not rubbing on anything, it must just have been a weak spot? As I type this I am having a new hose made at the local Napa store.
It was very easy to get the hose out, I am sure much easier than if it would have been the kitchen or lv rm slide?
So I am much happier today, not sure what the cost of the hose will be, but I am sure it will be cheaper than the fuel costs to pull the trailer the 300 miles to have a dealer fix it.
Hopefully another little glitch is over and done with?
Dee
Old 02-06-2007, 06:50 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Dee,
Sorry to hear of your problems. One thing to remember is that Keystone has been exemplary in their response to problems with their products. Many of us have had repairs done by Keystone well after our rigs were out of warranty. Please contact Keystone Customer Service if you don't get satisfactory responses from your dealer, or any other dealer for that matter. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Give them a chance.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:08 AM   #6
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
If you have the hose with the shiny black coating on it you will have a problem. I've had to have them all replaced due to swelling, leaking and bursting. Check yours!
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:46 PM   #7
Dee
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6426
Well I am in big trouble then as they all are the hard shiny
plastic?
Well all except the one I replaced today from Napa it looks like a hyd hose should look like?
By the way it is working fine again.
but now I am concerned about the rest of them????
Thanks
Dee
Old 02-07-2007, 10:52 AM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I may be speaking out of turn here, but a blanket statement that all "shiney black hoses" will deteriorate and fail may be causing panic attacks among some owners. I as well as several others have "shiney black hoses" that have been in use going on 3 years or better with no problems to date. kmh3212 ... I do not mean to offend as you may very well have been the target of hydraulic hose from a bad lot#. I just want to put forth that it seems an isolated occurance at least here on the MOC website.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:28 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We also have the shiney black hoses (9 months old) no problems execpt for the one that burnt up in our "isolated incident" The replacement hose is not "shiney black" How come ours are Shiney black????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:36 PM   #10
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
The frame and slide mechanisms on these coaches are made by Lippert. In the past, as well as very recently we have seen Lippert take care of the customer when issues arise. I would give Lippert a call and they may just be able to help with the cost of that new hose and also answer any questions around hydraulic hose failures that they have seen.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:58 PM   #11
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
The first hose that started leaking was the bedroom slide. It was replaced under the one year Keystone warranty. The rear slide hoses burst and were replaced under a extended warranty I purchased. The second hose replacement bill was a little over $1000. I can see a bad swagged end connector but these hoses swelled, leaked and or broke in somewhere the middle. The replacement hoses were substantially larger and were heavy duty hydraulic hose. I inspected the first hose that was replaced and saw the poor quality. I sold hydraulic hose and fittings in the past and know the difference between inexpensive hose and good hose. When you have a hose burst on the road you will have a major problem. I posted so that others could be aware of a problem and could inspect their hoses to look for swelling and leaking from the internal jacket to the hard outer covering. This is how all my hoses failed. It is easy to imagine one bad hose but not all of them.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:08 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I can only recall one hose failure being reported here before this one. I know we have never had a hose problem in any of our three Montanas, 2001, 2003, 2007. And the 2003 slides got a lot of cycling.

I suggest you call Lippert. They have been great about standing behind the product. I do not have their number at hand. It should be in the slide manual that came with the rig. Or maybe someone has it and will post it.

I'm sorry you had a hose problem. It's not been a frequent problem, based on the membership in this forum.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:21 PM   #13
Dee
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6426
Thanks Steve,
I emailed Keystone the day I had the problem, and have not heard back from them as of yet.
I really thought I should go through Keystone as the rig is only a couple months old, but I guess a phone call to Lippert would be well advised.
Thanks again everyone for your thoughts, this is a great resource.
Dee
Old 02-14-2007, 09:56 PM   #14
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Dee,

You can also email Lippert at www.lci1.com.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:28 AM   #15
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Here is a pix of one of my hoses. So far I have not had a hyd hose break. Maybe I shouldn't have said that.

lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:51 AM   #16
Dee
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6426
Just a Update
I did recieve a reply from Susan Flint this am and she
would like me to send the pictures of the hose and the parts bill.
I sent them off,
Also for you folks that are wondering the parts # on my blown hose
P/N 300-04-450 1/4" ID 2200 W.P. ( wonder if that is working pressure)
152 Bar W.P. For RV Use. Made in USA 169 263061
I can see you folks now with the flashlights searching for the #
It seems to be about every 18" on my hoses.
Dee