Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
Neil.M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12816
Two Issues

I did a search and couldn't find anything about my problems. First, last night my wife took her shower and about an hour later I was taking mine when I lost the hot water. It was a mighty cold rinse off. I then found that there is no hot water ant any of the faucets. Hot water tank is full but nothing coming out of it. Have been on the road for a week now with no problems.

Now a newbe question. When boondocking do you leave the fill on "fill" or put it back on "normal flow"? If I put it back on 'normal flow" the pump pumps all the water out of the fresh water fill. IF I leave it on "Fill" all works fine. It just seems to me I should put it back on Normal flow, but what do I know!

My rig is a 2007 2955RL.

Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Neil, I wonder if you are operating your HW heater on propane or electric. If propane, one would assume you are not out of propane. If on electric you should first check the breaker to make sure it has not been tripped.

There is a switch also at the heater itself, and that must be on, however one would also assume it had not been turned off, unless accidentally. Open the cover to access this switch.

My pump will not pump from the fresh water tank when in the Normal Flow setting, it must be set to Fill. sounds like yours is acting normal to me....

Hope that helps.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Neil.M,
Sounds like your check valve has broken. Let us know what you find. Good luck, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Hey Edward are you sure about your fresh water will not pump when in the "normal" position because I have a 2012 3402rl and I Never put the lever to fill when i turn the pump on and it always pumps, I never boondock but somtimes we pull over to the side of the road to go to use the toilet and it pumps every time ,The only time i put it to fill is when i need to put a little water in the tank just in case
Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Neil, HamRad is probably right on. Here is a link to a previous discussion by Ozz complete with photo's. http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...rchTerms=water
Think it will be of great value to you. A side issue, an hour should be plenty of time for the WH to recover. But one trick I learned on this forum when rapid recoverey is needed. Leave the unit on electric but also flip the switch for gas. Kind of turbo charges the WH. Hope this helps, Jim
Old 12-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
The only time we turn to Tank Fill is when putting water in the Fresh Tank. All other time it remains in Normal Flow. Also, we routinely turn on the gas water heater button for showers, then turn it off once we are done. Have adequate hot water doing this for two or three showers in a row. After verifying electric is supplied to Water Heater the main suspect would be the check valve.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Or the element if the water heater bypass switch was accidently engaged and the water heater pumped water out below the level of the element. Our rig also has the pump working fine when the switch is in normal flow just as Bigskyjimmy described.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
Neil.M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12816
My bet is it is the check valve. I must not have been real clear as to the problem. No water is coming from the hot water faucets in the trailer. I drained the tank and filled it back up and had water on the hot side of the faucets but it then slowed and stopped again. I also think by heater by pass valve is not working good as water was still going into the heater when I put it on by pass. Not a lot but some. Also on the other problem, if I put my fresh water on normal flow the pump pushes it all out of the hose hook up. go figure. Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Ah ha, I misunderstood Neil's original post, I gathered he still had water, just not hot water. The check valve coming apart would inhibit the flow of hot water but would not prevent the HW heater from heating the water. If the water heater is working (heating water) then it should be hot to the touch.

My unit is all winterized so I cannot go and confirm my comment on the pump but I am absolutely certain that after disconnecting from shore water I have to turn that valve in order to get water from the FW tank. It may not be the norm, but mine works the same way Neil says that his is working. All a matter of plumbing, some of us got the left handed plumber and some got the right handed....LOL
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Our pump also will only work correctly if the switch is in the normal flow position.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #11
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Neil if you don't have a new ck valve handy just take the old one out and strip the insides out of it and put it back in till you can get one it won't hurt anything. all it does is stop the pink stuff from getting in the water heater when you winterize the rv another cutoff would do the thing. On a side note your water will stay the same temp when you are taking a shower and cut the water on and off atleast mine does.JMHO
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:43 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
jimcol beat me to it, but here is the link:
http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/JimsSue13/Ozzsmods101/Water%20heater%20check%20valve/
Thanks Jim.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
Neil.M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12816
Thanks everyone, yes, the tank is hot, just no water coming out of the hot water spigot. Will pull the check valve off tomorrow and check it out. Ozz, if it has a part number I will post and see if you know where to order one from. If any one has a clue why my pump dumps out the water thru the fill when in the normal flow position, let me know. We are staying on Dauphin Island thru December so I have plenty of time to order any parts. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #14
Neil.M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12816
It was the check valve. Nothing stuck in it like Ozz had but the plastic parts inside were broken and in several pieces. Removed the pieces and put the valve body back in and have hot water flowing now. The numbers on the valve are G764MVCRVNF5661. Are these valves something I can pick up at Lowes or are they a special order from the Heater MFG'er. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction toward this check valve.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You bet Neil,
Try PPL Motorhome parts, they have Brass and Plastic, get the Brass one. Any RV Parts store has them,
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #16
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Neil.M

It was the check valve. Nothing stuck in it like Ozz had but the plastic parts inside were broken and in several pieces. Removed the pieces and put the valve body back in and have hot water flowing now. The numbers on the valve are G764MVCRVNF5661. Are these valves something I can pick up at Lowes or are they a special order from the Heater MFG'er. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction toward this check valve.
Neil.M,
You are welcome. Thank you for updating us. I know you are much happier with a good supply of HOT water! Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote