Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Green water in our trailer!

This is the water now flowing from the taps in our trailer. If we run it long enough, it gets a bit clearer, but it's definitely still green. We are connected to the water in the RV park, bypassing our freshwater holding tank. When we run the water at the source, outside of the trailer, it's also a greenish tint. We've called park management in to see the situation but are still waiting to hear what they think the problem might be.

Yuk.

Carolyn & Wayne

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I would for sure be concerned about blue green algae. If their wells can suck water from a lake that is contaminated that would be a problem. With the drought this summer many lakes were closed out here due to the growth of that type of algae.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I think I would be running out immediately to get a filter system for the incoming water. I would think even an external filter would get the impurities out that you are obviously seeing. The bad thing is that it very well could be contaminating or have already contaminated your fresh water system and will require multiple flushings with chlorine to get it sanitized. Oh and the yuk description fits perfectly!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I would use bottled water for drinking and look into installing a water filter. I built one from parts from Lowes. Bring it to the county extension agent or a pool place and have it tested.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
We are in an RV park that is bordered by the Colorado River on the west (about 30 yards from our rig) and the Gulf of Mexico (1/8th mile from us) on the south. No lakes around. I don't know what the situation is with the park wells, but I'd sure like to find out that this is something that isn't harmful to humans. We're not drinking or cooking with the water now. If we run it long enough, it gets back to its normal "salty water" look. But still--I want to know what it is that's coming out of the taps. Park management has decided to open the fire hydrants and flush the system as a start.

Carolyn
Old 08-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Here in K.C. Mo. a certain time of the year, the water turns brown I think, maybe green, they say it is not dangerous and not to worry...we all do. We use an R.O. system, makes the water sweet and we miss it on the road.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
You would think LCRA would know about water seeing as how they control a whole bunch of it. :-)
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I WOULD NOT use that water!!! Contamination of your water lines is likely. Get a filter ASAP and discontinue use until situation is resolved!!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

I think I would be running out immediately to get a filter system for the incoming water. I would think even an external filter would get the impurities out that you are obviously seeing. The bad thing is that it very well could be contaminating or have already contaminated your fresh water system and will require multiple flushings with chlorine to get it sanitized. Oh and the yuk description fits perfectly!
Bingo
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Wayne and Carolyn,
That can't be good for you! Aren't there "clean water" regulations in your part of the world? This system has to be shut down! The county or state MUST have some regs that should prevent this sort of thing. Or is this a National Park? I filter system might work for a short time but from the looks of that stuff a filter would be overwhelmed in a very short time. Good luck and please let us know what happens. Later, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Looks like algae. Lake erie water can ,look like that in Mid July and August.At least it is not yellow...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
No Rich, if it was yellow it would be from Lake Urine.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #12
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
I have a rule I stick to religiously: never drink the water when away from home. I carry bottled water to drink and cook. This applies also when traveling by other modes. You cannot be sure the water sources in the campgrounds are safe.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:40 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Campground water is subject to the same regulations as the water in that State or City. Same applies to well water. We have a water checker with us and although the water in different places has a bad taste to us it has been within all standards.We have checked so called bottle water and found it to check no better than the city water. the water in our part of Florida for the winter taste real bad and we have two filters to filter out the bad taste but it checks as good as bottled water even with the bad tase.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:09 AM   #14
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
It looks like you got a tank full of Margaritas.....What a nice park to pump fresh margaritas to you lol lol...
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:59 AM   #15
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
New meaning of "Going Green"!
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:53 AM   #16
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Campground water is subject to the same regulations as the water in that State or City. Same applies to well water. We have a water checker with us and although the water in different places has a bad taste to us it has been within all standards.We have checked so called bottle water and found it to check no better than the city water. the water in our part of Florida for the winter taste real bad and we have two filters to filter out the bad taste but it checks as good as bottled water even with the bad tase.
The only problem with that is that you're assuming someone is checking to be sure they meet the standards. With budget cuts being all the rage inspectors are often the first to go this especially impacts rural areas. Cities often have their own inspectors, but rural areas don't. Up till five years ago our restaurant got inspected at least 4 times per year. Twice by the health inspector and twice by the dairy inspector. First to go were the dairy inspectors. Now we are supposed to be inspected once a year by an inspector that has 9 counties. Since we have never had even a single major violation we now don't get inspected every year. It's sad, but it is what it is.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:13 AM   #17
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
The LCRA (Lower Colorado River Authority), which ironically manages and sells water to a lot of areas in central to coastal Texas as well as operates a number of parks and recreation areas like the one where we're hosting, says that what's in the water is the type of algae that grows in stock tanks and fish bowls. The algae appears at our park if 1., you're on or near the end of the water lines and 2., if the park has been relatively empty and not much water has been flowing through the lines. We are on the very end of the line here, and the park has been relatively unused for the last 2 weeks. Until the problem is fixed, however, we are not drinking or cooking with the water. I guess if goldfish can live in an algae-filled fishbowl, and if cattle can drink from an algae-filled tank without keeling over, the water won't kill us. However, we are NOT using it until it's been officially declared safe and the lines are cleaned and disinfected.
Carolyn
Old 09-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #18
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
X2!!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steelpony5555

It looks like you got a tank full of Margaritas.....What a nice park to pump fresh margaritas to you lol lol...
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Campground water is subject to the same regulations as the water in that State or City. Same applies to well water. We have a water checker with us and although the water in different places has a bad taste to us it has been within all standards.We have checked so called bottle water and found it to check no better than the city water. the water in our part of Florida for the winter taste real bad and we have two filters to filter out the bad taste but it checks as good as bottled water even with the bad taste.
The only problem with that is that you're assuming someone is checking to be sure they meet the standards. With budget cuts being all the rage inspectors are often the first to go this especially impacts rural areas. Cities often have their own inspectors, but rural areas don't. Up till five years ago our restaurant got inspected at least 4 times per year. Twice by the health inspector and twice by the dairy inspector. First to go were the dairy inspectors. Now we are supposed to be inspected once a year by an inspector that has 9 counties. Since we have never had even a single major violation we now don't get inspected every year. It's sad, but it is what it is.
You are correct but you can purchase a water tester.Camping world sells them as do other places.
We keep a tester in the Montana a test the water at every campground.We have not seen a bad test yet.

Our city is required to post the test results of our water supply once a year and the city will come out and test your water if you are in doubt.

Algae is a common problem in the hot summer months here along lake Erie since it is a shallow Lake and alge can build fast.